MH/HPS light intensity?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Toke"N"Chill, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Quick question for any experts on lighting. I was just wondering if the light spectrum/intensity decreases as MH and/or HPS light bulbs age or does it stay constant until they finally burnout?

Just curious... My lights are a couple years old and I have not replaced the bulbs yet. I just ordered replacement bulbs just in case they burn out before my current grow is finished, but was wondering if I should just replace the old bulbs with the new ones due to their age.

2. bulbs do lose their intensity over time and a bulb used for 2 years definitely needs to be replaced before you risk blowing it up. Best to use the bulb for a year or so and then ditch it for a new bulb to get the most out of it.

3. Makes sense, I'll replace the old bulbs with the new when they come in. Thanks for the advice!

4. Yes, not only do these bulbs lose intensity, the difference can't really be detected by the human eye. So even if the bulb looks really bright it might not be as bright as it could be.

5. [quote name='Toke"N"Chill']Quick question for any experts on lighting. I was just wondering if the light spectrum/intensity decreases as MH and/or HPS light bulbs age or does it stay constant until they finally burnout?

Just curious... My lights are a couple years old and I have not replaced the bulbs yet. I just ordered replacement bulbs just in case they burn out before my current grow is finished, but was wondering if I should just replace the old bulbs with the new ones due to their age.[/quote]

the rule of thumb is veg(metal halide)6 grows,flowering(hps)10 grows.have followed this rule for years and no problems!!!!

6. get a light meter and check the old one versus the new one. you'll see the diff.