Mh & hps 250 w

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dustin7294, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Hello GrassCity!

I am, what you may call it a beginner in cultivation.
    But on friday i will be going to buy a hammerwing reflector, and a Metal halide bulb, and a HPS Bulb both 250 watts. i also have a ballast.
    On another note i bought 2 afgahn seeds, last thursday so i should be getting it soon.
    My question is, in the seedling stage, should i use MH right away? if so how far away from the seed should it be. Im growing 2 plants in my closet.
    All help appreciated!

2. i use a 250 mh for veg, but i use individual 26w cfls for the first 5 days to get them used to it, then the MH (i do 4 ft away) and see if theres any stretch...if there is lower it till its cool enough for them to live but not to intense.... if that helps

dont overhwhelm them, but dont let them stretch

3. For new growers, fluorescents are safer for seedlings with less chance of light & heat burning. Seedlings can be placed 1.5' from a 250w as long as the temperature doesn't get too high. By the time the 5-bladed leaves start to grow in & from then on, the 250w can be as close as 7.5" from the plant tops, provided there's adequate cooling.