MH conv. bulb or HPS with cfls for vegging?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by timotei, May 13, 2012.

1. So I'm almost done with the first grow. Only a couple weeks of flowering left! :)
    But I have a question for when its time to start again... Now I'm using a 400watt hps in an enclosed hood, and I'm wondering if it would be better to get a MH conversion bulb and use that for veg, or use the hps, and dust out the old CFLs and suplement it with those...

What to do....

2. i had the same question, asked a guy while he hooked me up with some beanz, he said definitely run the HPS all the way

3. I used a mh bulb for veg with great results.....nice tight internode spacing and bushy growth. My first grow though, so have nothing to compare it to. You can pick up conversion bulbs for pretty cheap, I'd say it's worth trying out. :). If you do use a cheap my bulb for veg, it'll prolong the life of your expensive HPS bulb, something I factored into my decision. :)

4. Another option for your 400w system would be a 430 watt son Argo bulb which has added blue spectrum for veg.

5. I also use a cheap MH bulb for veg but for their first month or so they are under T5 HO grow lights. For our outdoor summer grow as soon as we get the backyard ready soon here our plants might be close to 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. Right now thier under the MH light set at 600 watts, we just u[pgraded our light hood to a Raptor hood. T5`s are great for a few plants or short term vegging.

6. I personally prefer a hps in veg. I don't need super tight nodes when I crop & top in flower I just need fast growth and a hps does that and still makes my plants bushy

7. i use hps all the way through. works perfectly for me!!

8. Love the MH conversion, I can veg from a rooted clone to ready-to-bloom in 3 & 1/2 weeks. Other suggestions will work too, but MH conversion is the "right" tool.