MG soil?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mordecai, Aug 29, 2007.

1. If I happened to use MG soil, what would I be able to do to avoid the horror stories I've heard? Can I re-pot with organic soil? Let me know.

2. It really depends on a number of things. First of all, can you afford better soil? If not, you can use it to start with, but eventually it more often than not WILL kill your plants. Something you can do is pick through the soil and find the fert pellets, then put them in water and make your own fert solution. If that seems a bit too involved and not worth the effort, I'd suggest just going and getting the good stuff from the beginning.

Another thing you can do (again, probably not worth the effort) is pot the soil, then flush it a few times before putting your seeds in. This ruptures the pellets and washes out most of the ferts. Expect a higher PH, though.

All in all, I'd recommend buying organic or mixing your own with perlite, etc.

Hope that helps,
    -Peace

3. Yes, you can repot with organic soil. And you don't need a designer brand name -- you can get a big 40-lb bag of organic at a place like Home Depot or Lowes for just a couple of bucks.

4. I got this 30 lb. bag of soil of Majestic Professional Grower's Mix at Home Depot. It was top soil, vermiculite, perlite, and peat moss all mixed together with no added ferts. It was originally $12.00 but think I paid $8.00 for it because it was on sale. This time of year is a good time to find deals on garden stuff since the growing season is almost over.

5. $8.00 no kidding!! That's a pretty sweet deal you got. Good mix, too. You'll be much safer with that than with MG.

6. It is also not recommended to transplant into different growing mediums

7. I was pleasantly surprised myself. I wasn't expecting to find something like that at Home Depot.

8. MG makes a no fert 'organic' mix that a couple of growers used in journals on here and the consenses was it was pretty good. See if that is available. MG with the fert pellets is bad news though not instant death, though it would be most likely. I would say about 75-80% of people who use it develop problems that can get severe. It depends on the strain as some do ok in it. Look for strains that take all the ferts you throw at her and loves it. Those strains would do ok, and just ok, in it in my opinion. Flushing won't help as the ferts are time released, actually water released so the more you water the more ferting you get. If MJ sprouts, the first hurdle is making it passed the first 10 days, if the roots hit any fert pellets directly, it will burn the stem to a cinder and the plant dies. If it makes it passed that, then in the third week the plant will develop yellowing and spotting problems which never really go away, like herpes hehe. You eventually harvest from a stunted, unhappy plant.

I have found small gallon black bags with a purple label of good dirt at the dollar store. Nice black dirt but you have to mix in everything else.