Mg and Calc deficiency or K?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by kanvict, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Few pictures attached of my almost 3 week old plant in FFOF being watered with tap water as I hear the soil is a little acidic. Haven't given any nutes to the plant yet but under 24/0... I assume it needs more nutrients? Before I do anything and screw it up even more, I could use some professional advice. By the way this is showing up on older leaves not new growth.

Attached Files:

2. Anyone? I'm thinking of top dressing with dolomite lime, what do you think? Would cal mag work better?Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. We need all the info on your grow including:

What type of medium; soil or hydro?
    What brand and type of soil?
    Indoors or outdoors?
    What strain?
    How old are the plants?
    What type of lights and how many watts?
    How far from the lights?
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?
    What size pots?
    Any bugs? Look real close.
    Any other pertinent info?

If any of these questions have already been answered please disregard as I cut and paste this for everyone.

4. Soil, FFOF in 3 gallon pot indoors. Barneys farm LSD or Liberty Haze (got them mixed up). Almost three weeks under 400w MH about 12 inches away 24/0. Using tap water every 2-3 days. No nutes Fed. Temps between 76 to 85 and humidity between 30 to 55 mostly around 40. I don't see any bugs. I just added some lime to the top layer of the soil and about to water. Looks like a Mg deficiency causing some Ca lockout to occur AND possibly potassium. Should I add anything other than dolomite lime such as grow big by FFOF?Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. i think mine is like that too, just use cal mag abd ph the water to 6.5-8 and you should be good .

No, his is not like yours!

Your going to wish you hadn't added lime to your substrate. If my suspicions are correct, your plants are expressing a Mn. deficit. Ph is elevated and the lime will worsen your medium and drive the ph higher.

8. [quote name="mmman" post="19281760" timestamp="1388883913"]Your going to wish you hadn't added lime to your substrate. If my suspicions are correct, your plants are expressing a Mn. deficit. Ph is elevated and the lime will worsen your medium and drive the ph higher.[/quote]I doubt it's an Mn deficiency just because of the symptoms not showing up at the top. Let's see what happens... I tested the run off pH to be 6.5 Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. Mn deficiency starts at the lowest and oldest of leafs, doesn't show at the top. Surprise # one! And, I noticed you adroitly eliminated any ph information requested by TheAnswer121, surprise # 2. Anybody that's experienced an Mn deficit "knows" Mn starts on the oldest of foliage (the heal of the leaf and advances toward the tip), surprise # 3. Surprise # 4, says you haven't fed which leads me to believe your source water in more than likely very alkaline, equates to high salinity, no doubt! Surprise # 5, had your ph run-off been at 6.5, you would not be having this issue.

Mn is a micro, only need in minuscule amounts, need nonetheless or plants will be stunted.

10. [quote name="mmman" post="19284035" timestamp="1388923769"]Mn deficiency starts at the lowest and oldest of leafs, doesn't show at the top. Surprise # one! And, I noticed you adroitly eliminated any ph information requested by TheAnswer121, surprise # 2. Anybody that's experienced an Mn deficit "knows" Mn starts on the oldest of foliage (the heal of the leaf and advances toward the tip), surprise # 3. Surprise # 4, says you haven't fed which leads me to believe your source water in more than likely very alkaline, equates to high salinity, no doubt! Surprise # 5, had your ph run-off been at 6.5, you would not be having this issue.Mn is a micro, only need in minuscule amounts, need nonetheless or plants will be stunted.[/quote]Now you've got me all worried, you've presented the problem now what's the solution that I've already added the lime? I just watered today, should I flush? What needs to be added to fix this issue? My tap water is pH 8 around 155 ppm... people told me that would be fine since soil buffers the pH and since FFOF is acidic? I was also told not to tamper with the pH of the tap water as adding pH up or down would add unnecessary salts into the water... so hard separating opinion from fact.Please advise on what to do next as I'm noticing some similar symptoms on my other plants. Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. Here's another plant... same problem? You think I should flush tomorrow with RO water? Help guys, I've invested too much into this to lose my plants to a deficiency.

Attached Files:

12. #12 mmman, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014

This is my solution to a relative issue. If you flush your plant will see it as a flood, but the medium ph appears to be high and with the additional lime, who knows if one flush would correct, I doubt.

I'd immediately set the plant down in a bucket of source water. I hope you don't have many more plants as it would take a bit of time. After the roots have soaked a while, I'd pluck her out of that medium by gently holding her with my right hand while "gently" massaging the roots with my left. I've even run the outside spicket over the roots of plants with no ill effects. Then add a small amount of fresh soil to a pot and gently rest the roots over the medium and fill with fresh soil and water with properly phed water at 6.8.

Now, if this sounds totally unrealistic, you have no choice but to flush, flush, flush and continually check run-off until improvement. But, if you choose to go the first recommended route, don't fed for about a week, then .25 dose, then higher as plant improves with additional growth.

13. Yea that's totally unrealistic for me lol... isn't there anything I can water with to raise pH of the soil or even top dress the soil with ? I saw a mix at home depot that lowers pH sitting right beside the lime... should I use that? Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. There is leaching compounds on the market and I've read mixed results, so I can't advise there. Looks like you have no choice except to flush, but I wouldn't use RO water unless you have you own system for RO water. If you use RO be sure to add Cal/Mag.

15. Will Cal Mag be necessary since the lime is there? Is that all that needs to be added?Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Your right, I apologize, wasn't thinking in that regard. Flush and monitor, and while I think about it, now that you brought it to my attention, RO might just well be the best solution at this time.

17. [quote name="mmman" post="19284295" timestamp="1388931091"]Your right, I apologize, wasn't thinking in that regard. Flush and monitor, and while I think about it, now that you brought it to my attention, RO might just well be the best solution at this time.[/quote] should I flush now even though I just watered yesterday or wait until next watering?

18. I'd do it now to head off any further damage, and be advised, sometimes it will definitely get worse before it gets better.

19. For future watering, stick to RO water? Should I add my FFOF nutes at 1/4 strength?Sent from my LG-D801 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. [quote name="mmman" post="19285575" timestamp="1388949496"]I'd do it now to head off any further damage, and be advised, sometimes it will definitely get worse before it gets better.[/quote]Oh and what's wrong with the RO water from target? I tested the pH to be 7 with about 7 ppm... isn't that pure?