Mexico President Hints Towards A Change In Marijuana Laws

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Jun 10, 2014.

1. \t\tMexican president hints may be open to change in marijuana laws<div>[​IMG]<div>By By Dave Graham June 8, 2014 4:28 PM

</div></div><div>[​IMG]\t<div>.\tView photo
    \t
    Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto speaks during the third Caribbean Community (CARICOM)-Mexico â€¦

</div></div>By Dave Graham
    <div> 

</div>MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico and the United States cannot pursue diverging policies on marijuana legalization, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto was quoted as saying on Sunday, hinting he may be open to following the lead taken by some U.S. states in changing drug laws.

Political pressure has grown in Mexico to take a more liberal stance on marijuana since Washington and Colorado decided to legalize possession and sale of the drug for recreational use in 2012. Other U.S. states plan votes soon.

Marijuana, along with contraband like cocaine and crystal meth, has been a major source of income for violent drug cartels responsible for thousands of deaths in Mexico in recent years.
    Proponents of reform say legalizing marijuana would both reduce the gangs' economic power and help generate more tax revenue.

Pena Nieto says he is in favor of debating the issue despite personal misgivings about legalizing cannabis, and lawmakers say Mexico cannot be out of step for ever with the United States, the principal buyer of illicit drugs that cross the border.

In an interview with Spanish newspaper El Pais, Pena Nieto said legalization of marijuana was a "growing phenomenon" and that the policies followed in the last 30 to 40 years had only led to more consumption and more production of drugs."Therefore it's a failed policy," he told the newspaper.
    "It needs to be reviewed. I repeat, I'm not in favor of legalization, this is a personal conviction. But we can't continue on this road of inconsistency between the legalization we've had in some places, particularly in the most important consumer market, the United States, and in Mexico where we continue to criminalize production of marijuana," he added.

His comments offered encouragement to supporters of change in Mexico, where polls have for years shown a majority of the population opposes outright legalization of marijuana.

Still, an April survey published by the public opinion unit of the lower house of Congress showed 73 percent of Mexicans backed legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes.

In February, Mexico's leftist opposition Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) presented an initiative to legalize medical use of marijuana and Fernando Belaunzaran, a PRD congressman pushing the plan, welcomed Pena Nieto's remarks.

Belaunzaran told Reuters the trend of liberalizing marijuana laws in the United States looked irreversible, and said he expected California to back legalizing the drug in 2016.

"Once California has permitted recreational marijuana, maintaining the ban in Mexico won't be sustainable," he said.

In 2009, Mexico made it legal to carry up to 5 grams (0.18 ounce) of marijuana, 500 milligrams (0.018 ounces) of cocaine and tiny amounts of heroin and methamphetamines. However, advocates of reform say more must be done to cut crime.

(Reporting by Dave Graham)

2. From MPP:

Mexico's president is hinting that he is considering making marijuana legal south of the border, San Francisco Weekly reports. In an interview published Sunday in El Pais, President Enrique Peña Nieto said that the drug war is a failed policy and that it does not make sense for Mexico to continue its marijuana policy when the United States is becoming increasingly lenient.
    The current policy in Mexico is that small quantities of marijuana are legal, but cultivation and distribution remain criminal acts. Mexico has recently seen a drop in marijuana prices for cartel-connected farmers as a result of the United States regulating large portions of the marijuana market here. In addition to his comments on the drug war, President Nieto added that Mexico should not continue on what he called a “path of inconsistency,” as the United States is reconsidering its own failed drug policies.
    - See more at: http://blog.mpp.org/prohibition/mexico-may-follow-colorado-and-washington-on-marijuana-policy/06102014/#sthash.SqokZ6Bm.dpuf

3. Well ya... Diego pellicer is planning to source their legal cannabis from Mexico. As well as other national corps who don't want to pay Americans for this service. IE Uruguay

4. #4 Sgtstadanko707, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
    But it's a step.
    The clowns have been on a roll this week.

5. El Presidente fuma marihuana.

6. 1. See a prohibitionist title.
    2. Enter thread.
    3. See prohibitionist OP.
    4. Exit thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KxiY1am8s4

[​IMG]

9. I laugh in the thought you believe yourself to be witty posting videos such as these. Thank you.

10. This neutral view on cannabis is so fucking dumb. "Yeah I might want it legal, maybe, i'm not sure, I don't like the idea of making it legal, but I kinda think we should". That's basically what this president was saying. Pick a side, don't try to "hint" that you "might" legalize it. You are either against it or for it, there is no middle ground here...

11. I agree. Being direct and taking action is what anyone is politics should do, but they rarely don't and it's frustrating most of the time.

12. In his defense, hinting at it could be the difference between a bribe and a colombian neck tie

13. Damn thats a good one. Didn't think of that one