Mexico on verge of disaster over drugs

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Colin Kill You, Feb 19, 2009.

1. I just read that this morning and it's just amazing, man..

"Pastor calls the problem in Mexico "even worse than Chicago during the Prohibition era" and said a solution similar to what ended that violence is needed now.

"What worked in the U.S. was not Eliot Ness," he said, referring to the federal agent famous for fighting gangsters in 1920s and '30s. "It was the repeal of Prohibition."

That viewpoint has picked up some high-level support in Latin America.

Last week, the former presidents of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil called for the decriminalization of marijuana for personal use and a change in strategy on the war on drugs at a meeting in Brazil of the Latin American Commission on Drugs and Democracy.
    "The problem is that current policies are based on prejudices and fears and not on results," former Colombian President Cesar Gaviria said at a news conference, in which the 17-member commission's recommendations were presented."

2. And by the way, man.. The U.S has already taken notice, and they're selling the guns to these people instead of helping them. It's a sad world :c

3. The U.S. is just setting up the next big power regime in the world just like they did with the contras, Saddam Husein, and the Taliban. I think they are trying to make it like Iraq so they can go "free" the people i.e. invade the country and take over.

4. If they want this violence to stop, they need to take control. This will NEVER end by force, absolutely never. It can't. Why the fuck can't they see that? The benefits of legalizing all drugs are so numerous, and the costs of Prohibition are so untold and horrible, I just don't understand. How are we being protected by heroin being illegal? Anybody can still get it if they want it, but they have to go to a drug dealer who could sell them impure product or rob them, and of course the violence between drug gangs and the police is unparalleled. Criminalization only hurts us, it does not help in any way.

5. #6 thosevacanteyes, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
    HLN had some nice footage of a mexican reporter stuck in crossfire, quite scary! It is going to take a few American Border Patrol Officers/ Police Officers getting hurt or killed before the U.S. actually does something about it.

-C

6. Really? where did you see that?

7. How long would it be for them to approve the decriminalization in those places?

8. Sadly, this would only cause Americans to look at drugs badly again.

Drugs causing deaths? Doesn't matter how. As long as it can be used as leverage to keep it illegal, the ignorant and controlling won't care.

9. Decriminalization wouldn't do anything. These criminals would still be profiting from their drugs. Full out legalization is the only way. Completely take away that profit from these criminals and take it to a controlled source. It's the only way the bloodshed will stop. Empty the criminals' wallets, and peace is reestablished.

10. Yea no shit. Damn, that sounded like Iraq or something at one point. :eek:

11. I live in Mission TX and the violence is going to end up on the other side pretty soon. the cartels have already threatend to retalate against the police if they do anymore busts. this is going to end up pretty fucken ugly. these guys wont hesetate to cut off your head and roll it into the middle of a park.

12. The US won't notice untill the border patrol ends up fighting an open war, and losing it.

13. #16 potthesmoke, Feb 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2009

i completely agree with you man, yenno what's worse is that, being mexican myself, i've noticed that we just brought it all upon ourselves. the poverty, discrimination, lack of respect for our culture etc. it's a shame cause we never had it as bad as other people like africans and jews yet we've managed to blissfully enslave ourselves and demean ourselves leaving us vulnerable to countries like the US and Spain to control us at their will. i think the drug war won't end until all the parties involved are dead, leaving the country weak, and then the US will take over.

edit: this would be a great point to add on to any legalization protest

14. It's going to be interesting how the two governments will handle the situation. It's been a long time since the U.S. has had something like this happen. I think the St. Valentine massacre was one of the most horrible crimes commited during the 1920's prohibition of alcohol, and this stuff is way worse.

I'm not sure how it'll end, but I hope it gets dealt with fast.

15. Its wierd to! Cause it looks like a normal area. You can see a office depot in the background.

16. That video sounds like an in-field report in Iraq/Afghanistan