Mexico Legalises all drugs for personal use!!!

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Lucian, Apr 29, 2006.

1. http://freeinternetpress.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6730

Hopefully this is true.

-
    <table bgcolor="#eeeeee" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td style="padding: 10px;" valign="top" width="100%"><center><table width="98%"><tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#dddddd">Mexico Ready To Decriminalize Marijuana, Cocaine, Heroine
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td bgcolor="#dddddd"> Posted on Friday, April 28 2006 14:05:35 PDT by Intellpuke
    Read 53 times
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </center> [​IMG]Possessing marijuana, cocaine and even heroin will no longer be a crime in Mexico if the drugs are carried in small amounts for personal use, under legislation passed by the Mexican Congress. The measure given final passage by senators late on Thursday allows police to focus on their battle against major drug dealers, the government says, and President Vicente Fox is expected to sign it into law.
    "This law provides more judicial tools for authorities to fight crime," presidential spokesman Ruben Aguilar said on Friday. The measure was approved earlier by the lower house.
    Under the legislation, police will not penalize people for possessing up to 5 grams of marijuana, 5 grams of opium, 25 milligrams of heroin or 500 milligrams of cocaine. People caught with larger quantities of drugs will be treated as narcotics dealers and face increased jail terms under the plan.
    The legal changes will also decriminalize the possession of limited quantities of other drugs, including LSD, hallucinogenic mushrooms, amphetamines and peyote - a psychotropic cactus found in Mexico's northern deserts.

Hundreds of people, including several police officers, have been killed in the past year as drug cartels battle authorities and compete with each other for control of lucrative cocaine, marijuana and heroin smuggling routes from Mexico into the United States.
    The violence has raged mostly in northern Mexico but in recent months has spread south to cities like vacation resort Acapulco.
    Under current law, it is up to local judges and police to decide on a case-by-case basis whether people should be prosecuted for possessing small quantities of drugs, a source at the Senate's health commission told Reuters.
    "The object of this law is to not put consumers in jail, but rather those who sell and poison," said Sen. Jorge Zermeno of the ruling National Action Party.
    Fifty-three senators voted for the bill with 26 votes against it.
    Hector Michel Camarena, an opposition senator from the Institutional Revolutionary Party, warned that although well intentioned, the law may go too far.
    "There are serious questions we have to carefully analyze so that through our spirit of fighting drug dealing, we don't end up legalizing," he said. "We have to get rid of the concept of the (drug) consumer."
    Intellpuke: "That's today's news out of Mexico. Tomorrow's news will be that tens of thousands of Americans are applying to emigrate to Mexico. You can read this aricle by Reuters correspondent Noel Randewich, with additional reporting by correspondent Anahi Rama, reporting from Mexico City, Mexico, in context here.
    </td> <td background="themes/FIP2/images/vert_dot.jpg" valign="top" width="1">[​IMG]</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3" background="themes/FIP2/images/hor_dot.jpg" height="1" valign="top" width="100%"> [​IMG]</td></tr></tbody> </table>

2. It's apparently true:

http://cannabisnews.com/news/21/thread21789.shtml

// edit

It would be even more awesome if they allowed people to sell it like in Amsterdam though.

And it gives a whole new meaning to a line from Super Troopers:

"YOU BOYS LIKE MEX-EE-CO?!"

3. haha super troopers is a great movie. hopefully mexico will open up coffee shops or something of that sort lol. that would be awesome and cheaper than going to amsterdam

4. Yay! This means cheaper prices for my area!

5. seriously this is more than just fun. i hope yall realize how important this is. this could be bigger step in the right direction than we realize. however i am drunk so everything is cosmic right now.

6. Just amazing! There could be a ton of good with this.

7. Shrooms AND PEYOTE??????? VIVA LA MAHECO.

now we just got to wait a little while until enterprenuers set up stands haha, itll probably be more of a British columbia scenario....but then again, when tourism skyrockets they may just full blown legalize...

8. i was just wondering how official the drug distribution will become. im really having second thoughts on this.

what if everyone starts going down there, and it turns into another Needle Park? except at a much larger scale?

if the government doesnt control this activity, then this will fail...thus increasing support for prohibitionists to keep drugs legalized everywhere.

there is no doubt that this is a huge step, whether or not it is the right direction only time will tell.

9. can anyone give me the proposed details on drug control?

otherwise organized crime can profit tremendously, since they are the only source for the drugs that are now legalized.

10. Well, as they said in "Traffic", being a police officer in Mexico is a business. I've only been to slightly south of the border, but from what I've seen that's fairly accurate. In other words, the gov't doesn't have enough control to regulate drugs as it is, which is why they're backing off. What I mean to say is, is that the gov't in Mexico is much different than the US or Canada in its level of influence over the little things, like market regulation. But I'm not an expert by any means.

11. ok but do you see what im saying here. im glad you told me that, is confirms my suspicions.

this is not headed the ideal way one might think it is.

kinda makes me sad.

edit - depresses me.

12. Meh, I stil think it's a good thing. It basically means tourists like us have no risk of being put in a Mexican jail for a long ass time. Granted, we still have to buy from Pedro on the street, but since it's fairly lawless to begin with (and I dont think it's going to be illegal to buy under 5gs either) I don't see it being a problem buying it on the street and smoking up whereever. A bit less organized and official than Amsterdam, but legal none-the-less (to smoke).

13. i mean time will tell.

but this is going to skyrocket organized crime, as it isnt just "smoke" that being decriminalized.

ill try to look on the bright side, but this could easily become a haven for junkies on our side near the border. i just dont see positive consequences without government control.

14. It actually won't change. I did some research and found out that under the laws prior to this new one, anyone who was "addicted" was free from prosecution for personal use, except a judge could punish someone if they didn't think they were addicted (or if they thought it would help). This new law just changes "addicted" to include "all users", so now judges can't pick and choose who to prosecute.

15. youre refusing to acknowledge the fact that there is someone who has to supply the new legalized drugs.

and the distribution is still a crime, so this will massively increase the amount of organized crime, as mexico is a relatively cheap tourist locale, and people will be needed these drugs.

16. Yeah someone does. And someone did. And it's going to be the same people, as drugs are already all over place in Mexico.

It's not that I'm refusing to acknowledge it, it's that since the area is already saturated with cheap drugs and really lax drug laws, I don't see how it's going to 'increase' the demand. The demand is already going strong, and I think you're over-estimating the amount of new tourists, as people already go there to get messed up since the laws are so lax and the drugs so cheap and plentiful. So in my mind, given the existing conditions, all that changes are that instead of having a *pretty good* chance of not being incarcerated, now you've got no chance. Mexico is just acknowledging that their anti-drug measures as of now are a complete failure and just need to stop; as like I said the drugs are all already all over the place. You wanna talk about organized crime in Mexico? The motherfucking cartels and shit have actually bought entire armies before. There are numerous instances where army vehicles are caught aiding drug runners moving product into the US. http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2005/12/24/203609.shtml Corruption is already massive, it's not going to change in my mind.

17. yeh, one of my roomie's who used to smoke daily said when he was in mexico his friend walked onto their tour bus and was like "dude, check this out, that dude over there just sold me this for like 10 bucks" and pulled out a fat 2 oz. of schwagg. He said it tasted like shit, but it got them both pretty blazed after 2.5 bowls, so it wasn't a bad deal.