Mexico citizen militias battle cartels, disarm police and government officials

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Jan 16, 2014.

1. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2014/01/pictures-mexico-vigilantes-battle-cartels-2014115124611419560.html
    \t\t\t\tIn Mexico, a country home to powerful drug cartels, groups of armed vigilantes known as "fuerzas autodefensas", or self-defence groups, have formed in the past year. In recent weeks, they have even taken over communities in the state of Michoacan; in one case surrounding a city thought to be a key stronghold for the Knights Templar cartel and taking over nearby towns after violent street clashes.
    \t\t\t\tIn these newly occupied towns the citizen militia have disarmed and detained local police, claiming that both police and government forces are corrupt and in league with the cartels. 
    \t\t\t\tMexico's drug war has wreaked havoc on the country, bringing staggering levels of crime and violence. These civilians, armed with AK-47s, have been fighting back in what they see as a bid to liberate the country.
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tView As Slideshow >>
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t<div style="background-color:rgb(0,0,0);">[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t/ Jerome Sessini/Magnum
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOn December 29, Manuel Mirel - the leader of the Michoacan militia - harangued people in Churumuco after his forces took the town.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t/Jerome Sessini/MAGNUM
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThe militias advanced through the streets of Paracuaro on January 4.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThe militias have detained people they suspect of involvement with the drug cartels.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tMany members of the militias are armed with rifles and semi-automatic weapons.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tMilitia members in the town of Paracuaro on January 6.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThis truck bears the logo of one of the militia groups.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOn January 10, the leader of the militia made a speech in the church square to explain to the people of Antunez the goal of their presence in the town.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tVigilantes advanced on Antunez on January 11.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t/
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOn January 11, vigilantes detained three teenagers after they stole a car from a journalist. They were allegedly working for the Templar cartel as "punteros", or watchers, and had set fire to two trucks on the road to Antunez.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThe Knights Templar set up a roadblock by burning trucks and buses in order to slow the advance of vigilantes on Antunez.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tOn January 11, as the militia advanced on Antunez, smoke from a roadblock set up by the cartel filled the air.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tThe militia awaited the signal from their leader to move towards Nueva Italia on January 12.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t

[​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tFighting between vigilantes and the Templar cartel raged for more than three hours on January 12 in downtown Nueva Italia before the militia was able to claim victory.
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t\t</div>\t\t\t\t\t

2. #2 LuxTenebris, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    God bless Mexíco (say with mexican accent for maximum effect)

Good to see people taking things into their own hands

3. In before military response....

4. Or major cartel response.

But shit good for them. Imprison the felons and the crooked cops.

5. #5 OGsmokr, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    It's sad that citizens need to take matters into their own hands to protect their home but at the same time I think it's fucking awesome that they're willing to defend their citiesFuck the cartels and the crooked police, Go civillian militia!

6. lolwtf? Knights templar cartel? Kinda makes sense on why the B.S. is happening their

7. Looking beyond the headline of 'people fighting against government and drug cartels'...

This is the first I've heard of these self described "self defense" groups, but just from the OP it doesn't sound very defensive to me.  So I decided to do a search of "selffuerzas autodefensas" and the first english site was from a Council on Foreign Relations puppet organizations.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/139462/patricio-asfura-heim-and-ralph-h-espach/the-rise-of-mexicos-self-defense-forces

"Several months ago, another such group in the state of Guerrero detained 54 people for over six weeks, accusing them of crimes ranging from stealing cattle to murder. After a series of unofficial trials, they handed 20 of them over to local prosecutors and let the rest go free." 

As much as would like to believe these "trials" are a result of 'the free market' I can't ignore the culture that had to be present for the staggering amounts of corruption to occur in the first place.   Starting to sound like another group of thugs who aren't in pursuit of freedom but rather another central planning scheme...but let's keep reading.

"In other communities, detainees have been beaten, forced into labor, or even lynched. Members of these fuerzas autodefensas (self-defense forces) say that they have no choice but to take matters into their own hands: criminals and gangs have become more brazen and violent than ever, and the police and the government are either absent, corrupt, or themselves working with the criminals."

Ahh the old 'our enemy is pure evil so we must be a little evil' argument.  Now I have no idea what the truth is, but I won't get my hopes up that the "average mexican's" life will be improving as a result of these "self defense" groups. 

8. I've seen a few reports of this on LiveLeak over the past year or so.
    Their culture doesn't fuck around.

Oh, and how is that gun control working in Mexico???
    I thought guns were flat out illegal...

9. If we ever needed more proof that anrchy= real liberty, this is it.

10. I am curious as to who is funding\\training these groups? If im not mistaken this is more of a Rural Mexico, not big city. Ammo is hard to come by in Mexico(for the average person). Some of the pics show them having some pretty expensive guns\\gear for a farming\\fishing community. If they had nothing but hunting rifles I wouldn't question it so much, but I see Aks and ARs with armor vests.

11. well good for them. someones gotta do it

12. They took the guns from the cops and soldiers. 

Why would the US Govt get involved?

14. I guess when you dont have world of world of warcraft, you gotta act out your inner child somehow:
    [​IMG]

15. The US govt and various politically connected interests make huge profits from the 'war on drugs'.  If these militias are organic they threaten the revenue.  But of course the cause will be sold as something humanitarian or ally in trouble...

@General thread
    Put on your tin foil hats for this one.  lol  What if...

the cia/us govt either started the "self defense groups" or will aid them with weapons/invasion because the shit is bouta hit the fan and they need as many diversions as possible...while they make off with the loot.  More 'illegals' crossing the sacred border.  They surely must be the problem...not our saviors in Washington D.C.  

Seriously though, I can't imagine what net value can be had from sparking war with a 'border nation'...but then again I often have a hard time understanding evil.

16. Not to mention Dick Cheney is a l majority shareholder of the biggest military weapons manufacturer

17. Poor man, the mexixan marines goto work on those guys.

18. No ay nadie que able espaneol?

19. Think the pentagon has plans of what to do if Mexico becomes a failed state.