Metro: Lastlight

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Subliminal Jazz, May 14, 2013.

1. can't believe no one has made a thread on this!

so this game is on its way to my house right now, should be getting it by noon tmrw. don't have work for the next two days. my body is ready.

i haven't played much of the first one, only a lil bit here and there at my friends house. but i've been following this one on PC Gamer for months now and hopefully its as beautiful as it looks. if you like post apocalyptic RPGs like fallout, i'd say try this out. hopefully i can get an 8th tmrw and get suuuuper stoned.

Do i need to say anymore?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Got this shit reserved on Lovefilm, I'm hoping it'll come on Friday. It looks pretty cool, but I didn't really like the first so I'm not sure about this one. I've heard great stuff, though. Let me know your opinions OP!

3. I hear you have to pay $5 to play on the hardest difficulty. Lame.

4. #4 tflga, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
    I also heard that the FOV is locked for PC players. 

5. just got the game in the mail earlier then expected!

about to smoke this bowl and check it out  :smoke:

@[member="8bitjoint"] if you order the game before the release date (already happened tho) you can get it for free. there's still a hard difficulty. the ranger difficulty is just SUPER hard.

ill let you guys know what its like in a couple hours.

6. So they punish gamers who don't throw money at the developers by withholding a difficulty setting. Lame.

7. Exactly why I'm not buying this game. Why should I pre-order a game I've never played. Why did they take out a core feature, only to make you pay for it if you didn't pre-order, ridiculous.

8. #8 Subliminal Jazz, May 14, 2013

dude think about it from a business point of view. the game was originally made by THQ but they went out of business. new company picked the game up and had to pay all the bills. nearly 45% of people pirate games nowadays. that's almost half of their profit gone with the wind. so its either they do something or they will go under too. pre order exclusives is whats saving game companies from going under or coming up short in profits. so its either you do that or add something like "exclusive levels" or guns. and sure enough, people would complain about that too. even though they aren't forced to buy it and the game already has the standard 3 difficulties. make no mistake, hard is fucking hard. ranger mode is just an insane amount of difficulty. i'm not even going to play it on that mode and i technically paid for it.

i can't think of one recent game that doesn't have some kind of exclusive pre-order bonus. Bioshocks preorder bonuses made a HUGE difference in gameplay. so ya, they have to make it somewhat appealing to people buying the game before release.

you guys are the ones that are being ridiculous. if you don't know already, game companies are really hurting right now. shit load of companies going under this year. even EA laid off over 400 people.

9. YES! This so many times!

10. #10 Twistedweather, May 14, 2013
    thought about making this thread....  

Love games that have a WW2 time era/apocalyptic tie-in & this looks like it goes beyond the tired, overdone FPS.   So I am looking forward to playing this on PS3 eventually.

@[member="MarleySubs"] Be sure to break this down for us after a bit of gameplay!

11. #11 8bitjoint, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013

Not once did I say I had a problem with pre-order bonuses. I said paying an extra 5 bucks for an EXTRA DIFFICUTLY SETTING for people who didn't pre order something that quite honestly should already be in the game. I could care less about pre order bonuses but I want to play a game the way its supposed to be played, on the hardest difficutly.

12. So i just played a good three hours...lots went down. still feel like i'm just getting started. wow what a great game. here's my impression of the game so far, complete with zero spoilers :)

@[member="8bitjoint"] just wanna start off saying. dude, just so you know, this game is fucking HARD. it is no cake walk, not by a looooong shot. i consider myself pretty good at FPS games, always go for the head or the weak spots, always play on the hardcore setting. but i found myself restarting the game over and over because i kept getting obliterated by the ai. I'm not even playing on the MUCH harder "ranger" setting. i'm just playing on the "hardcore" setting and it is fucking brutal. make no mistake, this game will test your wits and your ability to react to different things. to the guy that was worried about the FOV, its perfect. and that's coming from someone who is picky with FOV in games.

anyway, so far i'm absolutely loving it. i have a damn good gaming pc, and i had to put the settings on low for the first time ever! but to my surprise, even the lowest settings are still gorgeous as ever (Screenshots below). i was blown away constantly. it feels a bit linear, but don't make any mistake, its a good kind of linear. you get a few tutorials in the beginning, then the rest is just you and occasionally your with someone (so far). and you actually appreciate when you have help, the ai feels fluent and reactive. some areas present you with many options to approach a situation. disabling lights, crawling thru air vents, etc. are all placed perfectly to help you along the way. at first i chose just to go guns blazing...not so easy in this game. the ai are not fucking around and they aren't stupid, so make your moves wisely. there are some truly cinematic scenes aswell. without giving away major details. there are fucking giant mutant spiders, and it is just awesome. felt like i was the main character in a movie at certain points.

the weapons and combat are great. each weapon feels different from the last, and they all look cool as hell. they are pretty balanced as well. there is no weapon that doesn't feel powerful. you can also put addons on em. how extensive this gets, i'm not sure. im not far enough in to tell. i personally feel like this is your TRUE post apocalyptic game. each encounter feels intense and each bullet you collect counts. the surface is a death zone that makes you feel weak and useless.

the ONE thing that is frustrating me is the fact you have a gas mask on at all times on the surface, each canister lasts about 2 minutes. well the part im at, you at first get 5 minutes, then the rest is all you finding em in random ass spots...and they are very limited. im fucking stuck at a part where i ran out of air and you only have a minute to find another air canister or he'll die. but i can't find one and there's gorilla looking mutants attacking everywhere so i keep dying >.< i'd probably still be playing if this game weren't so damn hard. now i need a break haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYSCjGbv3YY

i like angry joe. hes one of the few youtube gamer people i respect. but he would be a super angry joe if he played metro on ranger mode. that's how hard it is. i've seen him get mad over games that are too hard and frustrating, this would be one of them.

seriously. its fucking hard as tits. i tried it for shits and giggles, and you honestly would have to play thru metro multiple times on hardcore to even stand a chance on this difficulty. i thought i was dying a lot on hardcore, i was dying 100x more on ranger. this is someone who shoots one round at a time. im not super trigger happy in games. and i still kept running out of ammo. your enemies practically eat bullets for breakfast.

don't believe me? try it on hardcore setting and honestly tell me its not enough of a challenge. people also forget that this game was saved at the last minute. THQ sunk and this was one of the games they had in development. metro was auctioned off, along with their other titles. there was a slight chance metro last light would never see the light of day. if thq hadn't went under, im sure this all would have been a different story. but a smaller studio with less of a budget picked it up.

15. Some people are better at games than others. Just because it was too hard for you, doesn't mean it's too hard for everyone. Some people like that extra challenge. You should check out the documentary King of Kong.

ya im getting better with the whole 1 minute per air cannister thing. the first time i kept exploring too much completely forgetting i had a time limit >.< once you get the hang of things tho its not so bad. its still hard. you shall see. if you can beat this game in one sitting on ranger mode, you should get paid to play games.

17. This looks sweet. 2033 was sweet

I dun wanna buy this yet but soon enough i will.

Idc about the 5$ for Ranger

Its fuckin 5$....

18. It's the fuckin principle...

lol you haven't been paying attention to anything in this thread are you? thq went under duder. we're lucky we even got metro.

20. #20 8bitjoint, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
    And you haven't really been paying attention to my responses have you,"duder"? I'M NOT AGAINST PRE ORDER BS IN GENERAL but here is no excuse to charge for a fucking difficulty level. If you're going to do pre order content then do something worth while. /end