methadone clinic

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by negligent, Apr 13, 2008.

1. i doubt any of you guys would have any information on this but my internet search hasnt came up with much.. does anybody know how to go about getting into a methadone clinic? or where i can find one in the allegheny/westmoreland county area of pennsylvania?

i'm sure no one knows shit about it, specially about my exact area, but i figured i'd ask anyway, cuz ya never know

2. couldnt your local narcotics anonymous hook you up with information?

local yellow pages for rehab?

ha these seem dumb im sure you already thought of these,

but im glad to hear you deciding on alternative substance coping.

good luck man.

3. yea i havent tried any of those, its late at night n i was jus tryin the internet, i know a couple people who are in the methadone clinic around here, i'll have to get in touch with them, the problem is i dont know em directly really, like one is this kids dad, n the other is my friends neighbor's girlfriend

i'm just tired of runnin man, i'm bound to run out of breathe sooner or later, i was plannin on weenin myself down but i dont know if i can do it, i'd probably be better off with someone controlling what i take

4. Those aren't like rehab are they?

5. This is what I've found so far: Methadone Treatment Directory
    I don't know which counties these are all in, but I assume you'll recognize anything nearby. I also recall a blurb on some site saying there were at least 2 clinics in Westmoreland county, but I don't know where that went...

I'll dig around a bit more and see what else comes up.
    I wish you all the best going through with it man. There's no shame in seeking help for something like this. I couldn't even quit smoking on my own.

Be strong, Neg.

EDIT: There's another listing here that includes Pennsylvania. I figure it overlaps with the other quite a bit, but here ya go anyhow.

6. Be very careful, methadone withdrawral is far worse then heroine withdrawral, i would ween myself a little bit first if you have a strong adiction because you dont want to be on methadone for long

7. Hi

I ran across your question. I am a methadone patient and a certified methadone advocate, and I moderate three methadone support boards, which you might want to check out--here are links:

www.methadonesupport.org

http://www.readybb.com/nama_wespeakmethadone/viewforum.php?f=2

http://www.readybb.com/watchdog/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=214CDEF7E12B92A7EFA96C1F534FBE77

I can help you find a clinic in your area if you like. Methadone treatment has a LOT of myths and stigma surrounding it, much of it undeserved. Most folks do not understand how it works or why some people may need long term treatment and others not, or how long term opioid addiction can cause permanent changes in the brain chemistry. In addition, tapering off methadone need not be a bad experience as long as uit is done slowly and correctly--it is when people get impatient and jump off their doses without a proper taper that they get sick. Anyhow, please feel free to email me if I can help you out in any way.

8. I was addicted to heroin for quite some time, I was doing it for about 8 months straight and dealing pretty large quanities (got guns pointed at my head, sketchy drug deals, cops, you name it I was in deep).

Anyways, I ultimately had to stop seeing as although I was making money, I was sniffing it all, and ended up losing money, not to mention it was ruining my life and I was sick of guns.

I thought about doing the methadone/suboxen clinics, and my insurance would've covered it, but ultimately I decided not to do either. I went through about a week of withdrawals and it sucked, but I figured it wasn't like a benzo addiction and wouldn't kill me, and if I did a treatment it would just switch opiates. So I sucked it up and dealt with it, it was a horrible week, but whatever. After that week I felt fine, and have been for a while.

I think you should try to do it on your own at first, personally, I think the withdrawal is hyped up alot. You'll get the runs, sweats, can't sleep that well, but if you do some other shit you'll be fine. Smoke some bud and take sleeping pills, and it really isn't that bad(well it is, but its manageable)

Just mho

9. go to an outpatient program before you get on methadone.....30 days out of your life is worth it.

it works man

10. negligent- I've seen your posts around here and I'm really glad your making an effort to get off the junk.
    Good luck bro!

11. It's always a good idea to try the less extreme strategy first, i.e., outpatient, then inpatient, then suboxone (or even inpatient AND suboxone) and then methadone. I do not agree that there are "way more success stories with suboxone" than methadone. Methadone has been around for well over 40 years as an addiction treatment and is the most successful treatment for opioid addiction available today. The thing is, many long term opiate abusers end up permanently altering their brain chemistry to the point that it no longer produces endorphins/enkephalins on it's own, even after years of abstinence. Without natural endorphins (the word means "morphine from within"), a person feels severely depressed, anhedonic, exhausted, anxious and has constant cravings. Everyone feels like that when they first get off methadone--but for some people this NEVER goes away no matter how long they wait. These are the folks most likely to benefit from long term opioid replacement therapy. A study was recently done with IV heroin users in which they were started out on soboxone with the ability to switch to methadone if necessary. 48% were able to manage with Suboxone and 52% had to switch to methadone. Some people have bad reactions to one of the drugs and so it is good to have a choice in this. If suboxone works for you then more power to you--but the fact is it just is not strong enough for many opiate users with long or heavy histories of opioid abuse.

12. how much are you takin daily?

13. When I first started doing dope .03 grams would get me jammed, when i stopped pushing I left at a quarter finger a day (2.5 grams).

From going through the withdrawals I think the biggest thing is mental. I would take like 12 showers a day/baths, take mad sleeping pills, and just try to stay busy and not think about it. Believe me I wanted to get some dope soo badly to stop the sweating and shit, but I stuck it out and am happy I did.

14. Are you asking me?

15. i dont get heroin in powder (well its powder, but it comes in stamp bags)

i shootup 8-10 bags, my friend whose also an addict does 3 bags n gets high as hell, i do fuckin 10, get a good rush, n the high is gone in 20 minutes na fter that i just get the nods (really sleepy, but not high)

i dont have health insurance, and goin to outpatient rehab isnt gonna do shit, i know everything there is to know about quitting drugs seein as i been to outpatient rehab 6 times, inpatient once

i need detox or a substitute that i dont have to pay 40-50 dollars a day for u know, cuz its hard to ween off dope when u need a good supply of dope in the first place to quit

i have a prescription discount card, but not insurance, and no money for a doctors appointment

so somebody tell me i'm fucked without insurance n burst my bubble before i get my hoeps up

16. I'll say it for you, your kinda fucked. Its like $30 a day for suboxone, and not sure for methadone.

Doctors are mad expensive without insurance, so theres no way you can get a presciption for suboxone.

You can try going to a free walk in clinic but I doubt any of the doctors there have the qualifications. You can also try to get on the list at a methadone clinic and see if they will take you pro-bono.

Other than that I don't know what to tell you, without money or insurance its hard to get help. I mean $30 A DAY for suboxone, WTF?

17. There are many public clinics that charge on a sliding scale based on income. If you qualify for medicaid you may not have to pay at all, depending on where you live. The average cost of a full-pay private clinic is about $9 a day.

18. Have you seen the doc. (didnt know it cost) This might not be how it works in the US, however I had to tell my GP I was a smack head (insert US term) and he refered me to CAT. (community addiction team - which i suppose is the methodone clinic) Then there was a waiting period of a few months before my appointment in which I had to sit for a few (15) hours from my last hit/toot to get my prescription of 120mg a day. My habbit was pretty much the same level if US bags are 0.2 (of decent Afghan brown or chinky white) for £10

To those that have mentioned subotex being better at getting of the gear, it all depends. I got prescribed sub directly from my GP and ended up ODing (to the point of being dead once) as it contains an opiate blocker (naltrexalone) - so if id cut right down i would have being fine.

Also as people have mentioned the rattle for methadone is worse than it is for smack, however you get the amount you need daily in clinical conditions it tends not to happen.
    The hardest part asuming youre not doing smack ontop, (which can be hard to resist as it's like starting over - I also made that mistake) is ditching the last 10mg.

Another bit of advice would be to lie about how heavy your habbit is, say double it, in bag terms, as people that have not tend to get a dose that holds them in no way what so ever. It takes longer to ditch the methadone in this way, however stops an early evening rattle - which leads to buying smack.