Meteor Shower Tonight (Perseids)

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Carne Seca, Aug 12, 2013.

1. If you get a chance you HAVE to check out the meteor shower tonight.  I watched it early this morning and it was amazing.  It was partly cloudy and several of them lit up the clouds as they plummeted through the atmosphere. 

Best viewing time will be midnight to predawn.  I was watching between 2 and 4 a.m. and counted around a hundred.  I hope you get a chance to watch it.  :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. my buds and i tried staring into the sky last night around 10-12 but didnt see anything too crazy. we saw maybe 10 combined ...probably should've stayed up later. 

COOL!!!!  What direction do you need to look? Where were you looking from..  am I too late?

The radiant point is in the NE but the sky is pretty much your oyster.  I saw them all over the damn place.   I have a group of people coming over after midnight and we're going to make a party of it.  Unless the monsoons interfere.  I have a firepit by the river and it's pitch black out there without the fire going.  I can't wait.  I'm making all kinds of goodies to accompany the alcohol.  We made a game that you have to take a shot every time you see one.  I am going to get shitfaced. 

• Like Like x 1
  5. #5 Carne Seca, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013

It may be interference from light pollution.  I live way out in the sticks and the elevation is over 5300 ft..  The stars are so bright it's like you can reach out and touch them.   :p

6. I'm glad I'm nowhere near civilization! Hopefully we don't get much cloud cover

7. yeah i thought about that , but there aren't a whole lot of lights in my town. there are literally no skyscrapers or anything. it's a very small hippy-esque valley. i wish i saw 100 of em last night haha very jealous

8. i couldn't see shit despite my trying all night

We saw quite a few before being terrorized by a family of skunks.  

10. hahahahah worth it though i imagine 

11. Saw a few the friday night. Was camping, that satueday i saw a bear and no meteors xD thing wss scary close.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Grasscity Forum mobile app