Heavy Metal Metalheads unite \m/

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by StonedMortal, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ^ Cool to see your open to experimentation with black metal, I hear loads of people in the black metal community are against it, but that’s just plain stupid in a sense, ok I’ll give them that mixing it with genres outside like rock/metal is something different but every single genre progresses hence change it’s a natural process, human nature (progression). Black sabbath, blue cheer, led zeppelin sound nothing like judas priest, iron maiden or metallica, and venom (people call them the first black metal band right?) sounds absolutely nothing like burzum.

2. Classic metal from ‘84, very similar to Motörhead, has that rock n roll vibe.

3. Don’t particularly like this, too alternative for my liking. That video I posted before was like blackened folk metal, completely different.

I’m getting into the classic 90s Norwegian black metal scene though :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. That album in particular is spectacular to get high to. It was very black metal/shoegaze(?) x prog metal

Or i was just baked beyond belief

Sent from my Z965 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

5. 40 minutes of ochestral metal beauty. Seriously. Grab like 2 or 3 game blunts (trust me, they take eons to burn). Unsigned hype

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6788 squidrick420, Feb 3, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Alcest is kinda like the extreme as far as post black metal goes since they are so removed from black metal that it is hard to consider them metal but also kinda hard not to. It took me a long time to get into them since I was such a purist for a long time haha. If the video you where talking about before was the Myrkur one I'm guilty for not listening to it but I've always had a thing against that project for not being genuine so to speak. I hate to sound like a BM purist here but the chick behind it was a fashion model from the US who latched onto Norwegian culture and used it to essentially jump into the black metal scene as soon as it became trendy again and now she has a market hold on the hipster black metal scene and, idk, I guess I'll never totally abandon aspects of black metal purism lol.

The 90s Norwegian black metal scene is pretty hit or miss for me since after around 94-96 most bands just copied Darkthrone or Emperor and refused to evolve the genre. Now the early 90s French black metal scene is one of my favorites from the era since those bands from "Les Legions Noires" are some of the darkest bands in the genre even to this day. The modern french scene along with the Quebec scenes are my current favorites since those two are both pushing the genre in new directions while also keeping the early style alive.

One of the most original black metal bands to date although lately the band has taken some interesting turns to say the least.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I totally get where you're coming from Squid. I don't consider Alcest black metal. Not even post black metal. I threw them into my prog metal playlist because that's how NOT black metal they are.

8. “Myrkur/Amalie Brunn is a fucking poser man”, I’ve read that comment loads of times, so YOU are a black metal purist, *shaking my head*, haha just kidding man :D, yeah I’ve heard she was in a pop band and puts on a fake nordic accent (she really has a heavy ‘murican accent for a foreigner) just to draw fans and she started a black metal project because it’s in demand in Scandinavia, hence to make money. Either way I do like her music, you don’t have to essentially like the artist as a person or agree with their politics to enjoy their music a lot of the time, I like Burzum, GG Allin and some Hardcore skinhead bands but I ain’t a racist. That’s my philosophy. If the music’s good I’ll listen to it.

Listen to that Myrkur song you might like it, you never know.... you will never know if you don’t try it haha.

9. But duuuudddee.... she IS a POSERRR!! :metal:
    Okay so not totally true, but not exactly not true either lol. In all honestly though I never quite figured out what I think of Myrkur over the years and I kinda thought she was a one album and done kind of thing but she is still going so maybe over the years I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and try again haha. I probably shouldn't complain about her using Nordic culture either since I like the band Utstøtt from Oregon who writes exclusively in Norwegian.

I've always been a bit of a hypocrite about separating art from the artist since despite being pretty liberal in my politics I listen to a number of nsbm bands since I find several of them to be objectively musically better than their counterparts despite the bullshit (which is often laughable). I caught the bias when I found myself avoiding Wolves in the Throne room for a long time for like no reason which is even weirder since I actually agree with their views on stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Same here for the most part. I mean an average Alcest album has less than 3 minutes of something resembling black metal haha. I think I just call them post black metal since it is easier than saying "post-kinda-blackened ambient prog-gaze." I guess they also have their roots in black metal as well as Famine from Peste Noire was an original member while Neige was an original member in Peste Noire and their first demo sounded like this...

11. Dream Tour

The Black Dahlia Murder, Inferi and Vale of Pnath open up for Vital Remains, Bloodbath and Aeon

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2 possible dream tours, one all metal, one mixed. Lets just assume All Hell is playing both of these since it isn't my dream tour unless I'm on it haha.

Tour A: Satyricon (with Nocturno Culto from Darkthrone on bass), Forteresse, Mercyful Fate, and a random local band from each town.

Tour B: Beastmilk, Carpenter Brut, Alcest, Drudkh

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'm intrigued by the bands in Tour 2. Mainly because I only know of Alcest. I have some listening to do

• Like Like x 1
  14. Just wanted to add that I think the terms poser and "hipster" are just stupid, I mean here's an example The Clash, one of my favourite, no MY FAVOURITE punk band are sometimes called posers because they experimented with the punk sound and revolutionized it, adding ska, reggage and disco in the scene, (despite being one of the most influential) whilst ironically the first punk band that goes through everybody's mind who isn't a fan of the genre, is the Sex Pistols, who were infact theeee biggest posers ever, put together by a record company to advertise the punk aesthetic and attitude, like a bloody product.

And hipster for me it's just like wtf? Aren't hipsters into alternative rock and such, from my view that band Alcest would be coined "hipster" before Myrkur but whatever. Nowadays it's like you can't own a record player, or listen to any genre of underground rock be it from black metal to garage rock without being called a "hipster" :rolleyes:. "Hipsters" are an uglier fad than emos were, because they're all psuedo-intellectuals :roflmao:

Anyways good to talk, good luck with your band man :thumbsup:

Ps: been busy these days hence why I didn't reply earlier.

15. Yeah at the end of the day I don't really bother actually using those terms seriously and I genuinely don't believe there are posers outside of the literal sense of somebody claiming to like something but not actually being interested. I grew up skating and the term poser was like second nature to throw around to anybody with the wrong gear or style but I grew out of that before high school. I occasionally get called a "weekend goth" because I don't wear dark clothes to work and that is like just as dumb as metal fans throwing out the term and meaning it.

Don't even get me started on hipsters... I wouldn't be so harsh to judge them if I didn't live in the middle of their smug pseudo-intellectual gentrified world full of organic coffee infused beer at the Friday night drum circle and awful hipsterfied bluegrass indie-folk hybrid music sponsored by the tourism department. As for black metal, it has some appeal to hipsters if it seems edgy which is what I've mostly noticed them getting into. Thankfully, the surge in interest has led to lots of good albums being repressed on vinyl. It also looks like the vinyl revival is shifting over to cassettes now that the hipsters wanna be cool again and vinyl is getting more mainstream appeal. Thanks to that I've been able to get stuff like Mayhem, Watain, and Enslaved on tape at the local record stores.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nice! Carpenter Brut is some nice dark synthwave and I highly recommend it. Outside of metal I listen to a ton of electronic music which comes close to matching my consumption of black metal haha.