Heavy Metal Metalheads unite \m/

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by StonedMortal, Apr 23, 2012.

1. #6761 Ceasetoexist, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Hatebreed
    Terror
    Lamb of God
    All That Remains
    As I Lay Dying
    Dream Theater
    Sylosis
    WhiteChapel(just recently discover them)

2. I played the album release show for this album in Atlanta a few weeks ago and that show was pretty sweet since it was packed with hundreds of people and I'm always into that haha. I'm playing with them here in town tomorrow but that show is gonna suck ass since it is a Wednesday and nobody here gives a fuck about good music, plus I've got to work in the morning.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Also found this floating around haha. Finally some not totally shitty footage of a live show.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Almanac [EP], by Kardashev

If you like atmospheric death metal like Fallujah, please check out Kardashev. They're perfect, just like Fallujah is. There's clean singing, but it fits perfectly with the growls and atmospheric beauty of the music. Give it a listen. And if anyone had his info, pass that along to @LuxTenebris

Sent from my Z832 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. @squidrick420 dude! I found it on bandcamp! Finally, I've been talking about this black metal album for years and could never remember the band name. Then I found it. Then forgot it again. But not this time.

Sent from my Z832 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gonna give Fair Struggle a shout-out. They're dope af.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

7. Nice! I'm totally gonna order this album haha. The main riff at the beginning sounds like some Lord of the Rings soundtrack type stuff which is a good thing.

8. I've been lazy lately about posting but here is some stuff I got on vinyl a few weeks ago. Greek black metal that sorta dabbles in almost every sub-genre of black metal on one album.

9. I'm not a fan of black metal at all, it's just noise to me, but I like Burzum.

10. Any Soilwork fans here?

11. This woman's project that mixes Scandinavian folk and black metal is awesome too, but besides these two projects I don't enjoy the genre.

So could anyone recommend me some black metal to get into the genre? That's not too extreme.

12. That was one of the albums that got me into black metal to begin with back in the day. I get that most black metal isn't for everyone but the atmospheric stuff can be pretty astounding at times and pretty removed from metal as a whole at times. If you liked Burzum though I have to recommend Drudkh.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think post-black metal might be up your alley as well. I'm basically an encyclopedia of arcane black metal wisdom at this point so ask away about various sub-genres and whatnot haha.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I don't really like much black metal, but I dig Wolves in the Throne Room. The new album is good.

15. Thanks a lot man, I’ll be sure to check these out, I didn’t even know there was even a thing as post-black metal haha. By the way, you sure are an encyclopedia of black metal man!

I agree on the fact that black metal isn’t for everybody, I mean I love speed metal, thrash metal, power metal, doom etc, but I never got into the genre, but to know some bands is cool, however I don’t think I’ll ever get properly into it.

Also to me black metal just seems so different compared to other genres to me, rock is to metal, as metal is to black metal, or rock is to punk, meaning it came from that genre and you could still consider it such, if you’re generalizing but it’s become so much more than that, if you get me.
    For me black metal is black metal, and power, thrash etc is part of metal, I dunno maybe it’s just me and solely my opinion.

16. Post-black metal is definitely a thing but it is pretty hard to describe as the term is very vague and you can take 5 bands who call themselves post-black metal and none of them will sound the same.

Well the good news about black metal is that it has hybrids with every genre you say you love except perhaps for power metal haha. On the black/thrash and black/speed side it is worth checking out Aura Noir from Norway who essentially invented the genre of black/thrash. There is obviously the classic stuff as well like Bathory, Celtic Frost, Bulldozer, and tons of stuff floating around this area of black metal. For some doom and sludge influence I would check out Wolvhammer and The Ruins of Beverast.

I totally agree that black metal is kinda separate from the rest of metal as it just kinda branched off from the genre in the early 80s and up through the 90s made a big deal about being separate from the commercial death metal and big name thrash bands of the time. Hence why it initially sounded so raw and under-produced compared to a Tampa death metal album. Not only that but there were a lot more influences coming from outside genres like some punk, post-punk, deathrock, goth rock, classical, regional folk music, darkwave, industrial, and a ton of stuff. At the end of the day though I can't complete keep it distinct from other genres of metal as in my book bands like Rotting Christ, Mayhem, Bathory, Darkthrone, Horna, Satanic Warmaster, Beherit, etc, are all undoubtedly metal. I only start to question this in the post-black metal realm where you start seeing genres like new-wave, shoegaze, alt rock, and that kind of stuff taking center stage over the metal. Amesoeurs from France is a great example of this. Netra from France is mixing in trip hop, jazz, and synthwave with black metal and getting some good results as well.

• Informative Informative x 1