Metal Shavings In My Sharpstone

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by SmokeOutAz, May 4, 2014.

1. So I purchased the silver colored sharpstone a couple weeks ago and it has been great, except for a couple metal shavings. There's not a lot, maybe 3-4 ever once in a while, but I was wondering if there's any way to limit this? Thanks

2. thats rough man ive never seen that with sharpstones, although i havent bought one in a few years. grab a higher quality grinder. 

3. The only way to limit it would be to not put lateral pressure on the top part when you grind.
    Its hard to describe, but you want it centered, not off center, that will let it wear evenly.
    Also try to keep it clean, if plant matter builds up in some places, it can throw off the wear pattern.

That's what's happening, its breaking in, but you really want to look out for those shavings..
    I recommend a ti space case. They're the shit.

Do you own a ti space case?

5. Yes, I own a space case.
    Tbh, I bought it years ago and I can't remember what kind it is exactly...
    But I love my space case

Yeah I think I am sold. Its $80 on their site.

7. I know it seems expensive..
    But the first time I held a space case and turned the top, I was sold.
    It felt as smooth as a cadillac. It was like it was on ball bearings.
    Ill never go back to any other brand. I've had it for years and its still working great.
    Do it.
    Fyi, they're large is huge.... Look into small or medium

8. When I first read people complaining about the metallic shavings from sharpstone grinders I didn't believe it. I owned a sharpstone before but this never occurred to me. But this is not the first time I heard people having this issue. If I were you I'd toss that sharpstone just for health concerns. Just like T-o-W-e-R said get yourself a space case. I purchased one 3 years ago (oh gawd it's been 3 years already!?) through amazon and It's still as good as when I bought it. The best thing about space case is that the grinding chamber never gets clogged up like other grinders do. I haven't cleaned my space case for over 2 years and it's still smooth as butter. It's no doubt quality product and you'll know right away that it's worth the money

9. If you scrape your grinder with a knife afterwards, maybe cut down on that.

10. #10 ckycampmember, May 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
    damn never heard of this happening with a legit sharpstone...
    fake ones are notorious for doing it...
    pics or fake

11. Before my space case, I had a sharp stone.
    I never had any issues, no metal flakes. It served me well.
    But like I said, the second I laid hands on a space case and turned the top, I was sold.
    They're expensive, but everyone who has a space case usually has it for years, so that tells you something

12. I was always taught to grind up some paper or something similar for a couple minutes with a new grinder to get rid of any shavings. I have a $15 grinder and it works great, never had any problems.

13. this post was in my crazyass dreams for yesterday

anyway, OP are you sure this sharpstone was authentic? where'd you get it from? 

can't recommend the space case enough. I got my medium size for $50 cause the girl at the shop liked me and though it was more than I wanted to spend (I didn't know at the time how expensive space cases were) I can't tell you how good it's been to me. very, very low maintenance, very well made here in the states for duration, and grinds beautifully in a matter of seconds, no shavings guaranteed. the low maintenance to me really is the best part. I rarely clean it cause I rarely need to. OP I'd definitely recommend you look into it  :smoking:

14. I had a spacecase lose a little plastic O-ring around where the grinder meets. And after I lost that....I put my hand under the grinder and metal shavings came out.....it sucked

15. I thought the point of the "Anodized Titanium" finish was to prevent shavings??

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. Does the oring easily come off or was it user error?

17. Yeah I dunno what the deal was....had it for like 6 years. Worked great!

I let it soak in ISO and after cleanin it...the O-Ring just came off rather easily.

But I was a dumbass and forgot where I set the O-ring n lost it...so I kinda fucked myself on that lol

18. Just purchased a space case. Sheoul be here Thursday. So exciting:)

19. Nice.....IMO its the best one out there. People will disagree of course.....but I loved mine, til I fucked it up. The teeth on those.....man they are sharp n tough.

Enjoy

Thanks man. hah didnt mean to hi jack thread.

Ill post up if i can recommend this for not creating shavings.