Metal Shavings In Grinder

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by pothead4768, Jun 6, 2014.

1. #1 pothead4768, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
    Hi everybody,
    I own just one grinder I've been using since 6 years. It wasn't really cheap, I paid it around 37€ - 50$ (i'm from EU). I never bought another one as simply I didn't feel I needed to... until now.
    On the space case website I've read "no metal shavings" in a description, so I started worrying about what I had always thought was just "dirt".
    I clean my grinder often, but everytime the half-external part quickly gets covered with dark grey (almost black) stuff, though I never found anything like that in the internal part or in the weed.
    Anyway, here it is. Do you think they're metal shavings and that I should buy another one?
    Thank you and sorry about possible errors: english isn't my primary language.
    [​IMG]

2. Happened to my aluminum grinder. Got a stainless steel one, no more chipping.

Would NOT use that.

3. I think you should spoil yourself - get a new one. ;)

4. Most of that stuff is just smushed up bud that gets stuck there and gunks up the grinder. However it does look like a few chips have come off of the grinder itself so you may as well treat yourself to a new one, no point smoking metal if you don't have to.

5. #5 walterbishop, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014

What grinders are stainless?

So far as I know most, if not all, popular brands (Space Case, Cosmic, Santa Cruz Shredder, Mendo Mulcher, ect) are machined aluminum with various anodized colors or coatings.

Only thing stainless on them is usually the screen in a 4 piece.

That grinder looks dirty. Are you sure that is metal shavings, and not just hard-on crystals/kief? That happens to my piece, if I take a plastic card or something hard that will NOT scratch the grinder (so not a knife), that comes off and actually looks like mini hash pieces. Unless that is clearly the coating on the grinder, in which case I would discontinue use. :smoking:

7. My friend and I both had spacecases that had metal shavings all over the threaded part. He had the black one and I had a silver one and we bought them from two different places.
    I don't use it anymore.

The metal shavings were almost black colored like you said.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I honestly have no clue. I got my grinder from some guy who found it on the street. No labels... sorry. :(

9. My grinder looks exactly like the OP. Regardless what it is, i'm not chancing it. Would a Titanium Space Case still do this? Titanium is strong, strong shit

10. #10 homestarstoner, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    thats not fucking metal shavings

thats called grinder hash. thats all the plant matter caked on from being smeared against the inside of the grinder whenever you use it.

use a butter knife to scrape and smoke that shit

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

11. I have a grinder identical to the OP. I have the same "buildup" around that outer area, however it is NOT inside the grinding chamber where the bud is ground up. Two things:

1:   I have a microscope and under 55x magnification, you absolutely CAN see pieces of aluminum. And yes, it is aluminum because there is a clear difference between THC trichs and metal fragments.
    2:   It doesn't affect the bud being ground, unless you see the same grey buildup.

If it was just compressed ground bud, why would it be grey? There's similar stuff inside where it actually grinds and it's not grey.