Metal halide

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Showyourwildwings, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Csn you use a metal halide pulse start without a balast?

2. All HID lighting requires a ballast.

J

• Like Like x 3
  3. You can get the 150 hps and mh that has standard socket but pretty much worthless

4. How is it worthless?

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

5. It's a 150 and is a regular socket the light is not as intense and lumens are real low. How much do you have for a light bro?

6. Lmao youll probably think im a disgrace but i have about 100watts spread out over three lights one a t5 ho bulb two are cfls lol hanging from above

7. I mean it will grow something just not to full potential. Save 130$ and get you a 600watt apollo complete set up

• Like Like x 1
  8. Is it a great set up? Why is it cheap compared to the other set ups?

9. I ve heard alot about marshydro systems found one on ebay $59 for a true 125watt full spectrum led. And $89 for a true 300 watt.

10. ^

11. I bought the Apollo 600w kit. Mh and hps light. I spent under 150$ everything is working great ,7 weeks now

• Like Like x 2
  12. Is it better than your previous set up?

13. Its my 1st grow and my 1st setup. I have the open hood setup. I have zero complaints

14. If you look on ebay you can find the apollo 600 watt kit with a vented hood for the $130 range. They are usually 170 range on other sites for the vented version. Get the vented hood if you can. Unless you have a large open space you'll have problems keeping the unvented cool. You also need more headroom for light distance with an open hood.

Not only does visible light radiate from the fixture, heat radiation also does. Because of the vast amount of heat radiation coming off of your typical open hood hps you can only get the light so close to the plants. With a cool tube or other glass enclosed vented hood the light can be moved much closer because the light itself is radiating way less heat.

The trade off is less spread of light. Open hoods spread light better and put out more lumens. Good luck taking advantage of the extra lumens though if your room is too hot and you can't get the light close enough.

The price on MH/HPS setups has dropped like a rock because everybody wants to run LED's. You could go that route but in order to complete with what a 600 watt HPS can grow with LED's you'd have to spend some cash. You'd need at least 450 actual watts of LED to get near the yield.

People have been known to grow a pound off of a single 600 watt HPS when trained and raised to full potential.

I recommend apollos 6" 440cfm exhaust fan setup and carbon filter with variable speed controller. If you buy one of those and duct it to the outside you'll probably be fine for cooling. You will need a significant exhaust fan for that much wattage of light. Don't think you can dump the hot air in the same room either. Many people try to get away with that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. We start getting into carbon filters makes me want to to stick with T5 fluorescent lights lol this goes from simple to hard core expense really fast

16. Going to need a filter if you don't want to have smell regardless of light

• Like Like x 1
  17. No it doesn't. MarsHydro 600 LED for $165. on Amazon.

• Like Like x 1
  18. I've tried running hps on a 240v socket with no ballast it will light up but dim as hell compared to on a ballast....

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

19. I've used Mars with good results if you need to keep costs down. If you have a little extra to spend, grab a solis tek A1 double ended lamp.. It runs mh and hps and I've almost doubled my yields with it. Their bulbs are awesome too, they make a super blue mh bulb that is absolutely insanely amazing for veg. I think anything you upgrade to you'll see a huge improvement over what ya have now.

• Like Like x 1