Metal Halide Question!?!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Let-it-grow, Nov 29, 2008.

1. i found a metal halide bulb in my attic and it seems viable, im currently using a 125w fluorescent that has a reflector and the works that i bought at a hydro store. i was wondering if i could replace the fluorescent bulb with the metal halide because they have the same diameter thread and it would fit. but im not sure if it needs a ballast or not. would it work ??

2. Nope needs its own ballast.

3. lame, im pretty sure its a 250w. so where can i get a ballast for this and how much u think it would cost mang ?

4. htg supply . com should see you through man.

5. thats kinda like trying to buy a car to fit the tires you have in the garage:D

6. TRy the bulb. It cant hurt.

7. Blowing bulbs/ruining fixtures can.

8. yeah thats what im worries about. i know it'l fit but i wasnt sure if i needed a ballast for it for sure. but now i do, how much to metal halide ballasts usually run for? does it depend on wattage

9. if u just want to rig somethin up, get on craigslist. otherwise, the ballast and fixture is alot more money than the bulb:smoking:

10. good call on creigs list. i bet i could def. find something to nig rig up and get going cuz i found a grip of mh bulbs varying in wattage cuz my pops is an electrical contractor n has tones of electrical shit laying around from past jobs

11. if you lived near cleveland, you could buy 400 watt metal halide fixtures for 10 dollars each.....