Metal halide light or HPS? I can only pick one...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by drunkallday, May 10, 2010.

1. #21 mrbob_58, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
    its fine. been running 6 months....no problems since i downsized the hps.
    the house only has a 40 amp service. power conservation is nothing new here.
    the stove , furnace and hot water are gas ...that helps alot

2. 40 amps? do you live in a shed? Seriously I always dedicate at least one 15-20amp breaker for use.

3. been home for 30 years and its paid for...as i said we are tearing it down and building a new one but that takes time when you want to finish without a morgage. you just gotta deal with it.

4. #24 Dankafied, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
    Go to Discount Hydroponics dot com. all CAP Xtream sSwitchable Ballast come with life time warranties! you'll never buy another ballast again. CAP Xtream Switchables are one of the best on the market! Plus Ive heard some very scary horror stories about HTG ballast...

5. i've had the HPS for over a month but have not used it yet. im a month into veg with the MH. Hi-Tech Garden Supply this is what i got but the guy on the phone talked me into upgrading to the euro reflector. Hi-Tech Garden Supply im glad he did cause the other one the grow kit came with seemed kinda cheap and i'd hate to accidentally bump and break the bulb or get water on it. the euro is sealed so you can hook it up to exhaust and direct the heat right out of the fixture without it getting in the area. although you will still get some heat no matter what from all the light. the euro is also nice if you have CO2. you hook the intake side of the reflector to an intake hole in the tent or grow room so it's sucking not the CO2 from the grow area. personally i dont have CO2 but am considering it in the future. im gonna go with tanks though, i dont feel anything else would be worth the hassle like carbonated water or dry ice. i'd rather not use a generator cause im already having problems with too much heat and with summer coming, it's only getting warmer inside. Files the bottom pic is from a week ago. now they are slightly taller and a lot bushier. i've been nothing but amazed by this setup. this is my first grow using HIDs. i've been successful in the past outdoors and have had some experience helping with indoor gardens but nothing special for a setup. otherwise this is my first time where i've been in charge or doing everything myself indoors. im no expert but i am experienced. ramble, roast, and post? that makes 2 of us.:smoking:

6. good for you. nothing better than not owing anyone a damn thing. :hello:

I would gladly use a 250w HPS if it meant my house was paid for.

7. oh great, can you elaborate on the horror stories about HTG ballasts? its only been a month but my only problem so far is sometimes when i plug the ballast in, the light wont turn on. but not sure if it's the ballast or bulb and its easily fixable, i just wait a minute and plug in again and it works. i got the hps ballast that comes with htg's kits so im assuming they send the cheapest unless you upgrade. just wanna know what i may be in for if i have the same prob.