Metal Halide Light being funky

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ChillyWilly5, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hey guys. My MH light wont work on a timer, it goes off when the lights are supposed to but then it doesnt turn back on.

When I plug it straight in to the socket sometimes it takes like 5 minutes for the light to go on....anyone else ever havethis problem?

2. MH bulbs have a cool-off period. How long? don't know for sure but now I leave mine for 1/2 hr before fireing her up again.

3. Yea. The lights were supposed to go on at 6am and I woke up at 10 and the lights weren't on. Timer was set correctly and it works.

4. You need a ballast to turn the light on. Plugging it straight into the wall will not give enough power to fire it up.

5. Ive personally never seen a HID light that wasnt attached to a ballast...

6. Assuming you are using a ballast.

You have one of two problems:

1. Bad bulb.
    2. Bad capacitor in your ballast.

Of course you can test the bulb theory by using a different bulb that you know is good. If that doesn't work then it is likely your capacitor. Just replace it with a capacitor with similar ratings.

If you do not want to do the work yourself many grow shops will repair it for you.

7. I obviously have a Ballast. But the light works perfectly when plugged into the wall.

8. Is it one of those economy grow light packages? How old is the bulb?

9. Brand new lumatek 400w ballast. Brand new cords. Bulb is a Sylvania 400W MH from Lowes

10. I'd say exchange the bulb first. Are the bulb and ballast compatible? I've had issues with less expensive bulbs not made for electronic ballasts give me issues similar to what you are describing.

11. If you are saying the light works fine plugged into the wall but not when plugged into the timer. The timer is the issue it most likely is designed for less draw and probably restricting current and causing the light to not ignite.

12. This sounds like the problem. The timer works on lamps and other things but basically its not powerful enough to handle the light?

Soultion: get a better timer!

13. Exactly HID lighting is very touchy on start-up. They draw a shitload of amps then once it ignites the draw drops to almost nothing. If they have any restriction on start-up they tend to flicker or just plain not fire.

14. What the hell? where did you manage to find a timer that doesnt have the ability to arc a 400? thats one shitty timer! lmao

15. Idk, I have 2. One if a westek analog timer, the other is a digital one, both from Wal Mart and both under 10$

16. buy one from GE the crappiest one they make will still handle that light no problem, but I suggest not cheaping out on a timer so you don't have to worry about it fucking up your grow.

17. Well, I was a little TOO stoned when I tried to answer this the other day. Didn't even think that you had a digital. :smoking:

However, something seems wrong with the "cheap timer" theory to me.

I run a 1000W HPS in flower ran by a $10 timer from Home Depot.