Metal Halide Fixture?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Bucket, Aug 14, 2012.

  1. I'm making the switch from CFLs to a Metal Halide lamp. I just bought a MH bulb and tried to put it in the fixture I've been using for my CFLs, but even after giving it a good 10 or so minutes to warm up, nothing happened.

    I did a little searching and found that I can buy a MH fixture, but they generally cost more than $100, which is just a bit out of my price range for growing a single plant. The fixture I have is rated to 150W and I'm using a 100W lamp, so I'm not entirely sure what the deal is.

    Do I need to purchase one of these expensive fixtures to use a MH lamp, or is there a cheaper alternative?
  2. may be different for bulbs with wattages that low, but i know with 250w, 400w, 600w, 1000w MH bulbs, you need a "fixture" or rather a "reflector" (which will have a fixture in it) and a "ballast" to power the reflector/fixture.....then the ballast is the one that's plugged into your electrical outlet...

    again, not sure if that's how it is for those smaller bulbs
  3. I wouldn't worry about the MG nutes. It's negligible.
  4. #4 zippy657, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Need a ballast there dipshit.

    Name calling is not tolerated here at GC. The NEW OP came here with a legitimate question and you try to make him look small. If you can't be helpful to a new member instead of disrespectful, move on to the next thread.


Share This Page