Metal halide and cfl for flowering

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Grandsouls, May 25, 2017.

1. So I started a cfl grow just recently bot two metal halide ballast for 20$ each. I'm broke as fuck and cannot afford hps. I was wondering if anyone's flowered with metal halide here could post some results?
    I have 1x400w metal halide and 4x 23w 2700k cfls.
    Any tips for flowering with mh would be appreciated. Please no, get a hps it's better no talk about hps that's not my question, I know hps is better.
    Thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Most ballasts and hoods allow for either bulb to be used. I cannot speak to the results comparatively, but I imagine you'll get something for your time and effort. To understand exactly why the different bulbs are better suited to each stage requires a great deal reading/research, but the simple explanation is that MH and HPS mimic the spectrum of the sun in Spring/Summer and Fall, respectively. If you really don't have the means to upgrade, go with what you've got. The best tool is experience, even if you aren't working with ideal equipment.

[​IMG]

I have seen passable results from people flowering with Hortilux Blues. They are a higher end MH bulb with a broad spectrum, but I imagine any bulb made for growing will work almost as well.

3. Knowledgable great answer thank you!
    Have you any information on the 3000k my bulbs or conversion bulbs? I just discovered this exists but probably quite costly
    Do you think 800watts of mh would be better than supplementing with cfl 2700ks?
    I have a really cold basement and with one it's still only sitting at 69-72, 74 on the hottest of days. But I could always hook up a fan.

• Like Like x 1
  4. That depends on the foot print (canopy size). I would suggest one MH and the CFLs for anything 20'² or less.

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

5. Sounds good