Metal flakes In my kief.

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Xulxasaur123, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Okay Yesterday I took a bit of advise I read on the Internet and went to clean my grinder. So I started by dipping all of the parts of my grinder except the keif trap in isopropyl alcohol 91%. And I come back today to see small flakes of metal in my finished product (when all the alcohol evaporates it leaves behind a small amount of hash oil and kief due to the thc being alcohol soluble and the alcohol evaporating). For those of you who have never heard of this method of getting hash. And I was wandering if it would be bad to smoke this because of the aluminum in my hash. Now I have smoked out of a can before and this did nothing to me and I was wandering if this was anything similar to that type of scenario.

2. May I ask why anyone would ever clean a grinder in the first place? Just curious...

3. just because you get a lot of keif buildup on the sides and in every chamber..and u just let tghe alc. evaporate leaving a wee bit of hash

4. Im going to say it's probably bad for you, but most would do it anyway. Just be sure to smoke it out of something with filtration, bong, bubbler, etc.

Maybe if you hold a magnet over it, the flakes would stick to that and the problem would be solved?

5. Lol thats not how you clean a grinder. You should be fine if you smoke it out of a bong, still there might be a chance that you suck a small piece of metal into your lung so i wouldn't advise doing it.

6. 1 weed gets stuck in the parts you twist making it unsmooth to grind
    2 kief will clog the screen holes.

Better question why wouldnt you?

7. Because they work just like new, after a while my grinder gets sticky and isn't smooth wheyou turn it. Alcohol makes it good as new, I'd still smoke your hash if it were me, but I'd invest in a better grinder so you don't run into this again.

8. to PN: to make it clean? youve never gotten the brown green gunk on the lips of the different chambers? plus like the op said, you can make iso hash.

to the op, you think the aluminum can did nothing to you. im sure your body did not like it. gross.

i dont see how any fumes could arise from what is probably a tiny thread in your screen, id smoke it in a water pipe so i wouldnt worry about sucking the metal through into my mouth.

aha, everyone answered at once.

wait, how do you clean a grinder then david? iso works wonders for me!

9. if its aluminum tht wont work cuz aluminum isnt magnetic...

10. Smoke it in something that bubbles so the metal stays in the water :hello:

11. #11 David5534, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
    I use an x-acto knife, heat it for a few seconds with my jet lighter and scrape the outside ring and the insides of the grinder, it only takes about 3 minutes and you can take the scrapings and put them on top of a bowl.

12. that gets it all shiny and new? what about the screen or the teeth?

i can use the hash i make on a bowl too :)

13. I asked this myself but was amaazed at how clean the grinder was after, how easily it operated and it was grinding better. It was dirty for so long i didnt know it was actually functioning that bad.

i also strained the iso i used to clean it and made some hash

14. Not really but it does make it work like new, any buildup on the screen i can just scrape off with the kief brush that came with my grinder and the teeth never really get resin on them, sometimes a little kief buildup but that falls off with a good tap.

15. the gunk builds up on the teeth which makes your grinder start to powderize weed rather than break it up. try an iso bath

16. grinders fallin apart sounds like

17. Yea, I clean my grinder by hitting it on the hard counter, you would be surprised how much keif can hide in there.

18. Not with my grinder, theres really nothing on the teeth, gunk does build up around the ring on the outside and inside of my grinder and if i don't scrape it off its performance starts to get worse.

19. Alright I think I'm gonna just save it cause it's not alot and I'm just gonna Put it with my other trichs and wait till I get about a gram and press it into a penny with my pollen press I just ordered. Easy as 123... Perefect setup for a smoker that likes a reward for buying so much weed. A g of hash!

20. Sure it is. You just need to make sure that you start out with a good grinder in the first place so you don't get metal shavings from grinding or getting paint chips from giving it an iso bath.