Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Metal bits in keif tray?! Or are they?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by gloppypop, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Is it normal to see shiny, sparkling bits in your kief?

I gathered my kief today, and while looking at it under light, I can see that certain bits of the kief sparkle. Is this normal? Could it be trichs/crystals?

I thought it might be metal shaving off, but after thinking about it, it might just be normal. Anybody know? Anybody have a sparkles in their kief before?

I have a Sharpstone four-piece grinder.

2. as long as it didn't look silver it should be fine. my kief sparkles pretty often.

3. even if it was, just smoke it through a bong. The metal will be heavy and sink to the bottom of the water. :)

4. oo ty for posting that :p i always wondering if you could smoke bud with metal in it or glass (never had any personally but ive questioned bud at times)

would that work the same with glass? still smokeable?

5. I've heard of shit like shady fools putting tiny glass shards to make it look like the weed is frosty. Hope it isnt that.

6. Yeah, my kief sparkles when i look at it the right way under light.

7. yup my kief sparkles whn under the light.

8. The powder off grit weed is like yellow dust

9. makes an almost yellow smoke too. It almost feels dirty breathing it in but the high is worth it. haha

10. Grit weed is weed that has been sprayed with something
    It's not always gonna be yellow, theres a lot you can spray it with

11. Thank you guys. Anybody elses kief sparkle?

I don't know what you mean, looks silver, though Tokah..

Some parts sparkle under light, like a crystal or diamond. They're the same size as THC crystals, the same size as the individual kief bits themselves, they just sparkle..

12. Sure. Glass is much heavier than smoke too and definitely heavier than ash and ash is filtered out by the water. Glass and metal should just sink to the bottom of your bong. If you question your weed i just wouldn't smoke it through a pipe.

13. Well I suppose the bong/bubbler method would work, since I don't think metal would vaporize at the temperature that a lighter produces. So the metal bits, if they exist, would fall into the water.

Please don't hijack this thread though, if you're gonna post, at least try to answer my question.

NO. It is NOT grit weed, 100% POSITIVE...

14. Here in the UK some dealers are adding very small glass balls to weed, weighting it up. I'm so glad I grow my own.

15. Well, I smoked the kief... Don't have Alzheimer's yet.

I guess tomorrow or Thursday I'm gonna make a trip up to headshop to buy a new grinder. I'll make sure it's stainless steel or titanium.

What a disappointment.

16. lol.
    did it have metal shavings in it or not?
    metal shavings and keif are very easy to tell apart.
    does your grinder squeak or have a metallic grinding noise when you use it? is it hard to turn? also take a look at the grinder surfaces - are there any spots that look worn or are shinnier than surrounding surfaces?
    if not then you are fine. trichomes sparkle too ;)

17. You've gotta be careful though because grit weed can have fiberglass instead of just regular glass. That will burn and produce a toxic smoke instead of just fall to the bottom of the water (I'm guessing)

18. #18 xhostilex001, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2008
    That doesn't make any sense to use fiberglass. Fiberglass isn't shiny or going to do anything for it, would it?

edit: on top of that i couldn't imagine fiberglass falling through a keif screen. At least not the fiberglass i've seen.

19. wtf u talking about? fiber glass look like tiny clear, sparkly hairs, just a bit bigger than trichs

20. Do you realize how big of a pain it would be to cut fiberglass and do something like that? That means having fiberglass in the air and on the skin of the dealer. Fiberglass irritates the crap out of your skin and is dangerous to inhale so why would it make any sense for a dealer to attempt to put that in their weed? They're not only endangering the smoker, but they're endangering themselves by handling it.

All for what? maybe an extra 20? Fiberglass i would imagine couldn't add enough weight to be worth it.