Metabolic Damage?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by NeverMistakeMe, Sep 23, 2014.

1. I've recently heard about how you can actually damage your metabolism by unhealthy habits. 2 years ago I lost 100 lbs. (half my weight) in under 6-8 months by restrictive eating and EXCESSIVE exercise (1-5 hours of cardio a day with an average intake of 500-1200 calories a day)
    My prescription medication is a stimulant and it also restricted my appetite. I am on this medication again now since recently and while it gives me energy and focus throughout the day it makes me not hungry until the end of the day where I usually have a fairly large meal.

As of right now, i haven't been tested but I can predict my BMR to be lower than 800 calories a day.

I have gained a good amount of weight back in the past 5 months, I am now 150lbs. At 5'4" and I am 19 years old. I have VERY little muscle but I still manage to do construction work for my father 40 hours a week.
    I feel like the only way for me to lose weight is to literally starve myself for days at a time:(

(and if you didn't understand what I just said, it basically means that I am scared of speed bumps)

2. #2 yurigadaisukida, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2014
    btr of under 800

Wtf?

I must.misunderstand what that means

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. My body only naturally burns around 800 calories a day compared to another male similar to me might burn around 1500-2200 a day.

(and if you didn't understand what I just said, it basically means that I am scared of speed bumps)

4. #4 yurigadaisukida, Sep 23, 2014
    that's whay I thought it meant

Wtf that's Crazy. Do you just sit around or are you really small?

your brain alone used almsot 800 calories just thinking

If I had to guess your bmr is probly closer to 1200

Under 800 is crazy low

5. I maintain with under 1000 a day, I am 5'4" 150 lbs. 19 year old male , and I do construction.

6. well I.guess the proof.is in the pudding then LOL

Keep it up, you get to spend half as.much on food as the rest of us!

But this reminds me.of some articles I read.claiming humans don't.need as many calories as they say we do

7. I'd have to be chained up or out in the middle of nowhere to not be able to eat 1000 calories a day

8. #8 GratefulFred, Sep 23, 2014
    Yeah if you cut calories too radically you can slow your metabolism down. But I thought the effect was only temporary.   Also when you lose weight really fast you can lose muscle along with fat which can aggravate the situation.   There are also natural variations and things like thyroid function can affect metabolism.

Cardio is great in curbing appetite and improving mood but might aggravate muscle loss, so I'd suggest doing some resistance training as well.

FWIW, some people believe that Calorie Restriction can result in a longer lifespan.  In one study CR resulted in a longer lifespan for rodents, but the jury is still out on how it might affect humans.

Doing it via a drug (sounds like speed to me?) may not be the healthiest thing though.

I would think if you are working hard manual labor all day you should have some muscle.  Also maybe you're eating more calories than you think?  Also bunching them all up at the end of the day might not be optimal.

9. what are you goin off about?

your 5'4 and 150. thats perfectly fine

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

10. you should read this:
    http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people.html

11. I think I may have an idea of how to help you, but exercise needs to become part of your life style. Particularly strength training. You need to in fact EAT MORE, but also add in physical activity. Weightlifting will aid you in this. You will gain muscle and burn fat at the beginning. You might find you gain a bit of weight when you begin, but that's just your body learning to regulate itself again. You just lack nourishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum