Mental Phenomom

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by dankyfc, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Okay so i dcided while extremely faded that human memories, fears, minds,etc are probably all connected and that our soul is present in every other so we are present in other dimensions and see what they see in dreams and we react with their atoms and brain matter telepathically. Any ideas from u guys wud be appreciated! thx:D

2. For about the first half you were pretty in line with Buddhism. You should read up on pratītyasamutpāda for a much deeper elaboration on the whole "everyone is connected and necessarily exists in everyone else" theme.

The whole dream/atom part seems pretty irrelevant to me. After we've gotten over the fact that you don't exist in and of yourself and are, in fact, only real as a relation to everything else, notions like telepathy become rather superfluous. If there is no such thing as a sealed-off, individualized and hermetic ego, then why do we need to posit how such egos communicate? We wouldn't say that the medulla oblongata communicates with the cerebrum "telepathically," would we? Some form of communication between parts is already prefigured by the existence of a whole, no?

The way I see it(/feel it) is that collective consciousness is....ya know....collective. The idea of an individual and egoed being communicating with another individual and egoed being through this medium of collective consciousness leaves a rather sour taste in my mouth because the idea of an ego loses all salience the moment we start talking about collectivity in the first place. Obviously though, on some level, egos do exist. Perhaps there is some middle ground, where the ego still sorta exists but the democratic nature of reality does as well. In fact, the more I think about it, the more intuitively (and empirically) correct that seems. Hmm...