Mental illness

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by skeetskeeter, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Do you believe it's always been as prevalent as it is now? It seems like mental illness is (portrayed to be) more present in people now than in the past. Why? Sorry if this is a little depressing to some people but I'm just curious what GC thinks.

2. no i think its always been around were just more educated about it or some of us at least.

3. With a different culture and environment certain mental illnesses are probably more prevalent than others Assuming if the same classification system is used. They likely experienced different rates of specific phobias for one.

4. No fucking way. If you had autism pre-1980 you were treated like a piece of tar. Mental illness was not thought of as an illness back then. The government or your own parents would drop you off at an asylum in the absolute middle of no where, once there that would become your new home for the rest of your life. You were not give your own personal bed nor did you have your own room, you essentially lived in a massive house that had no furniture besides restraining beds and other barbaric forms of 'treatment'. You would share a spoon with 10 other people because their wouldn't be enough for everybody. It was a terrible time. Probably the closest thing to a concentration camp without actually being one.

If you're interested look it up, it's really, really sad but also incredibly important. These people had no control of their surroundings, they were treated like animals at the zoo.

5. Roses are red , Violets are blue

I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I

6. #6 Cawdswallup, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    Mental illness is something we don't quite understand, seems like if you blink these days you get classed as mentally unstable. 

7. I just wont blink then, and THEN no one will suspect a thing. I'll be treated like one of the normals! 

8. Yeah this, it was really fucked up and twisted

9. So true. In the 1800's if you had something like add, or ocd, or autism, people weren't like "oh that poor person is sick". People would instead be like "that guys an ass hole!". And they would treat you as such.

10. It's not me, it's the rest of the world!

11. It's always been around. Before asylums, people were being locked in their homes by family members. The care that asylums provided wasn't much better. I think that since our current system of treating mental illness is usually more humane, and because of all of the anti-stigma campaigns that have been around, people are more willing to consider seeking help. The current mental health system certainly has its flaws, but overall, for most people, seeking help has become less dangerous and terrifying than never seeking help would be.

12. Unfortunately, many mental hospitals are still not much better. I was committed against my will by my parents, due to my drug abuse, for a total of two years before my 18th birthday.

Food with uncooked meat and skin flakes in it... facilities where underage girls were raped (it still makes me cry a little just typing it... hah); little kids under 12 getting the shit beat out of them in back rooms. Solitary for up to 3 days at a time being used for punishment. Doses of medication being given to children that were twice the recommended dose for adults... cameras in every room, being recorded and watched 24/7.

Mental health in America is better than it used to be. A lot better. But it's still pretty damn awful in some places, especially where mental health awareness isn't a big thing. I was in one of those regions, unfortunately.

13. Yeah it's the drugs

14. A schizo formed Christianity

15. Mental Illness is Only Label's one attaches to the Darkness in Humanity.
    I mean if Harmony were to be real.. Bigots who create the circumstance's, where mental illness has become a conditioned response- for people to fall back on. Rather than allow &  accept with understanding that, we all were born to make mistakes. Only Now the weed has been corrupted by the very people whose sole motive; is to destroy the Artist. Don't Fall into the Rattrap of hippicrites  
    Cuz Darkness in the Mind is what your not saying. So Say it and the demons will leave.

16. #16 Majestic Raven, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013
    Here are a couple paintings by Louis Wain who lived from 1860-1939. The first two are from before his mental illness (either schizophrenia or aspbergers). The second two are from after.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Almighty sosa bang bang O-block lezgetit fuck da opps free da guyz

Huh???????

19. I agree with this analysis.   Mental illness was not recognized or accepted nearly as much in the past.   Also, society is more accepting now and people can seek help when they are mentally ill.  In the past, people kept quiet out of fear.

That said, I do think there is likely an increased rate of mental illness today compared to the past due to the fast pace/pressures of modern society, as well as the emergence of problem drugs like meth, crack, etc. 

20. With population increase also, there are going to be rising numbers. just because.