Mental illness.

Discussion in 'General' started by ch33r10zzz, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Does anybody have any mental illnesses? Depression and PTSD counts.

I personally self-diagnosed myself with cyclothymia, a mild version of bipolar. My mom has full blown bipolar, so my diagnoses isn't too far fetched. Instead of major mood swings, they're minor. My cycles include anxiety and mild depression. I also sleep at wee hours of the morning, so you could call that insomnia if you want.

Since i started smoking about two months ago, i have noticed a few things. About a third of the time i have bad highs where i will feel negative. The other two thirds, i feel slightly optimistic. I use that mild term because i dont get grandiose(absurd) thoughts. I just feel motivated to make the best of life.

For me, i smoke because it increases my neurocognitive functioning(i might have read about it somewhere). Basically, i feel like im getting out of my own head, and thinking on a level that is not affected by my emotions so i don't get negative and isolate myself. The increase in "neurocognitive functioning" allows me to be an engaging social being, which is a good thing.

Anyone familiar with schizophrenia? Does smoking facilitate it?

2. Don't go diagnosing yourself with anything. That is a symptom of people who take psychology classes lol. I did the same thing, went and talked to a psychologist and felt much better.

I thought I had bipolar, aspergers, autism and many other disorders at one point but it isn't the case. I am someone who has severe anxiety.

I am familiar with schizophrenia and imo people with a predisposition to it should not smoke.

3. I am positive i have cyclothymia. I go up and down, but i dont get extremely depressed or extremely manic. And with a mom that's bipolar, I feel that I am reasonably self-diagnoses.

One positive that i've seen from smoking is that after a long day of "medicating", i am extremely tired and will be able to sleep relatively early.

Since you took psyh, what do you know about bipolar and its relationship with schizophrenia/psychosis?

4. Well I am a psych major but that by no way makes me an expert. I do not personally know of a connection between bipolar and schizophrenia, try looking on psychcentral. They have some good info.

And I was born with a 75% chance of having down syndrome but I didn't end up being born with it. Just because it is likely that you have cyclothymia, doesn't mean that you do. I still suggest talking to a psychologist.

And for mild insomnia like you have I suggest looking up brainwave entrainment. Look up "delta hour" on youtube. It synchronizes your brainwaves to the type that is emitted from the speaker.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICWjfN6nfm4]Two Hour Binaural Beats Delta Waves - YouTube[/ame]

5. My auntie was schizo, smoked weed like a fiend from the ages of..14-45 i suppose, she had this huge psychotic episode at age 47 i think that completely ruined her life, maybe, i can't even have contact with her/know where she is because the 5-0 are after her so hes on the DL.

6. #6 frostedbutts, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
    everyone is mentally ill in some way it's just that some people have been to a psychiatrist and some haven't.

7. Sometimes i feel like i have a mental illness, but then other times i think i just tend to overcomplicate things. I get depressed sometimes for like a couple days and have the occasional problems sleeping because my thoughts keep racing, but then ill feel fine and normal for a couple weeks. I think everyone is a little crazy in their own way

8. And some are crazier than others. Alot crazier...

9. Those delta waves are something! I'll tell you what! I'm not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but whatever it is, it messes up your head(in a good way)

Some guy was talking about how it made him see crazy things. Could have been a troll.

10. Between the ages of 14-16 I was hospitalized 3 times (for a total of 30 days) in behavioral medicine hospitals. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Type 1 the second time I went, and major depressive disorder the first time. The third time they also diagnosed me with Anxiety (Social and General), OCD (skin picking), ADHD (a diagnosis since 2nd grade, reevaluated), and I now have the diagnosis of Primary Insomnia and Chronic headaches.
    I take 12 medications +/- a couple, but most are vitamins and minerals.
    Other drug discussion is not allowed, I believe, so I'll generally sum up my prescriptions:
    Anti-psychotic
    SSRI Antidepressant
    Stimulant (high dosage just cannot name :))
    Muscle Relaxer
    and the rest are vitamins and herbal extracts.
    oh and the obvious (grass)

Weed has helped me a lot with my struggles of mental ilness. It runs in the family, and there's been a lot more to it then that. Now, I'm in no way a violent man, and my IQ is 186 (tested 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th grade). I'm not too social in person, but weed helps me relax (thankfully without a benzo now) and stops my muscle soreness and agitation from the stimulant. It helps me to feel happy (both with my SSRI and taking 100mg 5-HTP [don't do this! can cause seratonin syndrome!]), calm down, and eat. I go days sometimes without eating, and weed stops this. And I'm not eating like crazy either :)

It has gotten me involved in an online community of like-minded people (though I hardly ever respond, I'd much more prefer to just take in information.), and overall has improved my quality of life significantly. I've shot my grades up from C's to A's. And I don't live with my parents, go to school full time, online school, and got into college for Pre-Pharmacy :)

I just want you to know, you're not alone. I have had many-an-experience when it comes to mental disorders (also runs in the family, and I'm a twin :p), and I hate talking about it. I hate sharing it, because I feel like others view it all as some sob story. And I don't want anyone feeling bad about me, ya know? So I hope this gives you some sort of inspiration.

Mental disorders can be fought and believe me, especially with things like bipolar, (or, specifically, rapid cycling [as I believe you said you had]). A lot of the emotions felt (or rather unfelt) are caused by environmental conditions. And weed has definitely been a life saver for me :)

Good luck! Remember, don't self diagnose though.. therapy can work wonders, though it took me 10 years or so to get with a therapist that actually works with me.

Meow.

11. I have Bipolar disorder and borderline personality disorder. Along with Anxiety.

The weed helps with a lot of that. I'm not as depressed and just relax and enjoy myself. The anxiety is a bitch because I'll get paranoid sometimes.

12. I always think I have some issue or another but I think I just read too much into minor things. I think "I was happy one moment now I'm sad I must be bipolar." I know however that everyone has ups and downs. It's really only when it drastically affects your life that they go from your normal ups and downs to a disorder. I smoke cuz it calms my brain down and I feel I can think better and more clearly than when I'm sober but that doesn't mean I have ADHD.

13. Im bipolar and I have general anxiety

ALso delayed sleep phase syndrome.

Its beatiful

14. I have senorimotor ocd, as in a pay waaaaaay to much attention to my body.

15. I Probly got some kind of shit