Mental health

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Borborygmus, Aug 3, 2013.

1. I think that mental health is way too underrated in today's society. Lots of people see the physical damage society is inflicting through poor diet and exercise but you can't see someone's mental health.

There's lots of people I have seen on this site that talk about meditation, which I believe is one of the easiest ways to restore mental health. Depression is the big thing right now in mental health. I have heard of at least 5 suicides in the past 6 months. Family, friends or friends of friends. It is horrible. I want to learn more about mental health.

TL/DR: I see the healthy stoners thread and pretty much everybody talks about physical health. Are you mentally healthy? What do you do to ensure mental health?

2. Hon, if you take care of the body, you are taking care of the mind! Omega 3 is a good example. Without Omega 3, the CB1 receptors in your brain (and body) are made defectively! :eek:  They are "duds"! So what happens when you have too many "duds"?

Omega-3 deficiency disrupts cannibinoid receptor function in brain        (news – 2011)
    http://www.wellsphere.com/general-medicine-article/omega-3-deficiency-disrupts-cannibinoid-receptor-function-in-brain/1347465

And the abstract of the study the article is based on-

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions.
    (abst – 2011)           http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21278728

It is well known that "B" vitamins are essential for controlling stress, which is why they are in ALL "stress vitamins". A lack of "B" vitamins can cause mental problems!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/306687-vitamins-to-improve-memory-and-brain-function/

A healthy body improves your chances of having a healthy mind! (Genetics plays a part, too)

And for me, personally, cannabis smooths out my highs and lows (my mother was bipolar, I'm just a tad moody).   :smoke: 

Granny

3. #3 LQ142, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    I think that physical and mental health are definitely linked...whenever I'm exercising a lot and eating well my mental health feels much better. I'm calmer, happier and more rational.

Exercise is the best antidepressant/anti-anxiety medication on earth. Even things like yoga and stretching can release a lot of endorphins.

4. #4 pleiadian, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

American football is the most dangerous sport when it comes to mental health - even more dangerous than MMA. Reason being is because the helmets that American football players wear gives them a false perception of safety because their skin and sense organs on their head can't get scratched, bruised, and whatnot - but that means their heads are going to be colliding a lot more.

The easiest way to restore mental health is to eat healthy and avoid participating in and encouraging activities that damage mental health such as American football.

5. Exactly that good mental health comes with exercise and what you eat. Along with self control from the ganja.

lol somebody is a soccer fan... :laughing:

How many people have developed mental health issues from playing football? Like .0001% of the population? I'd say that there are bigger things to worry about. 

7. #7 PAToke775, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2013

I'm a huge football fan, but there are A LOT of retired football players that suffer from side effects that result from their playing days.

Obviously it's still a tiny percentage of the population, but I don't think that has anything to do with his post.

I'm well aware of the issues that ex players have...I just don't get why that guy jumped on football when there are obviously bigger mental health risks in the US. 

Because of op's avatar, and because this thread is discussing mental health. He has good intentions of wanting to spread awareness of mental health instead of only aesthetic appearance of the human body, but the probability of developing neuro-degeneration is highest in American football compared to other sports.

And actually soccer isn't that safe either. Do you know how big of an impact soccer players take every time they 'head' soccer balls? It's not as bad as 300 pound athletic freaks sprinting and tackling you full force, but it adds up. The thing is, every time your head collides in any manner or even whiplashes, it produces a lot of toxins. Your brain can tolerate only so many toxins before it starts snowballing towards Alzheimer's.

If you experience three concussions in your lifetime, your chances of developing any form of neurodegenerative disease skyrockets. In 2012, the NFL produced an average of nine concussions per week - and that's only 'recorded' concussions. Most players receive minor concussions to where symptoms are mild, but noticeable by the trained eye. Nonetheless, you're still producing neurotoxins.

But sure, since the NFL only makes up such a small amount of the population, it's not that noticeable among 300+ million people. But what about all the NCAA divisions? High School football? These kids are producing toxins within the Central Nervous System before it even fully develops.

And what about that wide receiver, Chris Henry? He died from a car accident of some sort, but when the opened up his brain (age 26), they found tau protein which is a toxin that's linked with Alzheimer's and dementia. What stands out about this case is that he had no history of recorded concussions. So basically he was walking around with the brain of an unhealthy 70+ year old at the age of 26.

10. mentally i've told my ego to shut the fuck up. shit doesn't bother me anymore, i'm just one with everything

11. Sports are dangerous. Even hockey is dangerous with guys skating so fast. I know I have hit my head snowboarding a couple times too but I usually wear a helmet. I agree with everybody that a healthy diet and active lifestyle is one of the best things for the mind. But I don't know that it is always enough for everybody.

12. just keep occupied, work hard , hustle , 

if your 30 and still living with your folks then your gonna be depressed , as long as you busy all day you will be happy when you chill
    to much chill makes mental illness a possibility 

13. Football was well worth any mental damage it created.  :)

But yes I agree with most of the posters, mental health is very much related to physical health.

14. If only it was that simple...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. what part living at home or the to much chill part

16. #16 pleiadian, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

That's a very subjective statement. When I save enough money and buy a new house, I'm still going to live with my mom because I love her and because I want to take care of her.

Whether your parents are parents by blood and genetics or if you were adopted, having that mentality at any age is depressing, even if you're 18 and if you think that way. The only reality that exists is the now; you're brain doesn't recognize "when I'm 30", it only recognizes your "be depressed" mentality that you're producing at this moment in time.

Whenever you think back of an ex that dumped you, even that it happened in the year two thousand and X, you're evoking those emotions and the chemicals that produced that emotions now. When you get excited about a music festival that you're going to go to in the future, you're producing the positive chemicals/emotions/state of mind right now, even though the festival is in 'two months'.

So yes, OP is right. Mental health goes beyond physical health and our diet (but those two are huge factors). Because every emotion is associated with the production of certain chemicals and hormones in your body. Emotional stress and negativity (fear, anger, jealousy, deceipt, etc.) produce chemicals that wear our body out and accelerate degeneration, i.e. 'aging'. Whereas positive emotions and feelings such as laughter produce a calm internal environment which promotes DNA and tissue repair.