Meet Irene

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Irenes Garden, Aug 28, 2012.

1. She's a beauty. :)

Check out how my girl is doing.

Getting pretty close I think.

2. Hey OD, what are water crytals? I'm not sure I know about this. Do they hold water in soil or something? Thanks!

3. [quote name='"Irenes Garden"']Hey OD, what are water crytals? I'm not sure I know about this. Do they hold water in soil or something? Thanks![/quote]

From what I've heard, water crystals absorb the water and release slowly, good for guerilla growing. But not really needed for indoor or backyard grows. At least not in my opinion. Wouldn't hurt though!

4. hey Farmer, yes they do hold water. Water crystals are very popular here where summer is very hot and dry.

This is the brand i'm using now:
    Yates Waterwise Water Storage Crystals - Yates products

but they're all the same. Think mebbe called 'polymer crystals' up your way. As smoke said^, good for guerrilla. There would be some draw backs (less aeration, loss of soil stability), but overall work really well.

Think jelly. Looks and sets just like it. Definitely follow the instructions on this one, its easy to add too many and u'll end up with wobbly soil.

5. #45 LinuxJ, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
    Was this a normal grow? I hear of stories of 10 pound plants in California. I mean to be honest I was expecting 2-3 ounces. I feel a little disappointed. Can someone explain, was she aiming for low yield or what? Thank you!

I reread the post, and it is a micro-grow. Still isn't it a little too micro lol. I mean half an ounce? That won't last that long...

6. Hello Linux

Yes, this was a micro grow. As you can see by all my pictures and posts, (if you looked) this little lady topped out just over 41 centimeters, or 16 inches.

If you thought I was going to get two or three ounces of dried smokeable material out of a plant just over a foot tall, then you need to study up before making unnecessary comments like the one you just posted.

There are plenty of other growers on here with six foot plants and larger harvests. Why complain about mine when you can easily move on to another journal?

Go read a High Times magazine or something son. :wave:

Farmer

7. Hell I enjoyed this thread because OP made it interesting, also the plant was picture perfect health the whole way.

Question, will you ever be going big? Or just micro grows?

8. Hmmm... only so much we should expose on a web site like this smokey :)
    I always play with an ace up my sleeve, I have no worries about having enough medicine for my needs Linux. I only grow for myself and donated a couple of times to a local club for free. They gave my free herb to people who are financially broke and cant afford it and need it. A lot of these people need it not because they want to get high...
    Also it's still federally illegal regardless of state laws and doctors recommendations. No need to brag when you're small fry anyways.
    I will post pics of a few seedlings soon if you're all interested. Thanks for following my journal!
    The Farmer :smoking:

9. Ok I had time so here we go...

Without death, there cannot be new birth. Don't feel bad because Irene's genes are in all of these seedlings pictured here.

The second picture is the mother of Irene and all these seedlings. I'm still the getting mother back into shape. Cloning can cause a lot of stress depending on strain and environment. The mother I took this clone from was recently heat stressed and she is now bouncing back beautifully. In about two weeks, all the twisted leaf will be removed for healthier foliage to grow through.

I will transplant the seedlings and mother soon. I'm hoping to find at least two males from the seedlings to choose from and then choose the best one. This will be my first run inbreeding with this mother. I have already inbred her sister (one of the other two Blackberry bag seeds I got years ago).

I'm hoping to IBL (inbred line) her three times to purify the strain and then cross the two IBL sister's for the best vigor. I'm attempting to find what the original breeder was looking for, and then modify that to my specific environment. You can see some small variances between the seedlings. I chose the phenotype most similar to the mother. Most of these seeds fortunately have mother's genetics.

Ideally, I would have hundreds of these going to find the best match. Obviously this is not practical. I try and keep as legal as possible because this is the only medicine I can use.

I was thinking about starting a new journal in about a month or two. I want to sketch a seedling from start to finish. There will be a new picture once a week to track progress. I'm a fairly decent artist and it would be fun to try something different than everyone else. I will also release the original photos when the journal is finished to authenticate them.

I have my best friend who would like to partake on this journal with me. What do you guys think? Should I start a cannabis art journal?

Cheers!
    The Farmer :hello:

Attached Files:

10. [quote name='"Irenes Garden"']Hmmm... only so much we should expose on a web site like this smokey :)
    I always play with an ace up my sleeve, I have no worries about having enough medicine for my needs Linux. I only grow for myself and donated a couple of times to a local club for free. They gave my free herb to people who are financially broke and cant afford it and need it. A lot of these people need it not because they want to get high...
    Also it's still federally illegal regardless of state laws and doctors recommendations. No need to brag when you're small fry anyways.
    I will post pics of a few seedlings soon if you're all interested. Thanks for following my journal!
    The Farmer :smoking:[/quote]

Touché. :p

It's nice growing for yourself... So much better than spending $300 an oz. :)

11. Haha sorry smokey, I was replying to Linux most of that. We cannot be too careful can we? lol

Yes it's much better growing for yourself, I agree with you. For me, it's not like I cant afford it, it's just that I know how much can go wrong and I dont trust other growers with my lungs lol.

I think the statistic is over 80% of mary gardens have spider mites? Ahhh so that's where the popping sounds come from when I buy on the street... Don't get me wrong, you can get by with a few mites, but the amount of pesticides used in some large grows is just wrong.

I'm sure you will harvest about a pound off yours, what do you think?

The Farmer

12. [quote name='"Irenes Garden"']Haha sorry smokey, I was replying to Linux most of that. We cannot be too careful can we? lol

Yes it's much better growing for yourself, I agree with you. For me, it's not like I cant afford it, it's just that I know how much can go wrong and I dont trust other growers with my lungs lol.

I think the statistic is over 80% of mary gardens have spider mites? Ahhh so that's where the popping sounds come from when I buy on the street... Don't get me wrong, you can get by with a few mites, but the amount of pesticides used in some large grows is just wrong.

I'm sure you will harvest about a pound off yours, what do you think?

The Farmer[/quote]

I can't say, as it's my first grow. I have nothing to compare it to. I would love a pound. :)

I do know I'll be set on the medicine for a very long while.

13. No need to be harsh, I am new here. I mean I would love half ounces anyday. Just needed an explanation. Don't get me wrong though, this is my favorite grow-journal. Loved every bit of it. Good job and keep growing. :D

14. Lol g'day farmer, I really enjoyed your diary:)

I agree it's not best to post everything you do on here but thanks for sharing Irene, I hope you stick around. Funny bastard;)

Oz

15. Agreed! :D.

16. Yeah sorry Linux, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. I'm working two part time jobs and the schedule is killing me. If anybody should apologize it's me, sorry about that.

Anyhow, I'm starting my first sketch in a couple days. It should be fun, but I need to hook up my scanner to an old outdated computer and transfer files to a newer one. I'm not looking forward to that.

I'm hopeful to get something out for you guys this weekend. I'm not the best artist and it's been a few years so don't be too harsh lol. I would like to see comments on what you think could be better or changed and so on. I promise to respectfully take your comments as constructive.

This is going to be a test run for a possible future website idea I have. You will all see what I mean if you follow me for a while.

Thanks for stopping by!

Farmer

17. #57 LinuxJ, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2012
    Trust me 13g is a lot in my book, just wanted some clarification on why some guys get 10lbs and you got 1/320th of that lol. But trust me 13g would last me a while. It's a good $200 in my bag, and I am sure thats dankity dank.

18. the journal idea is fucking awesome

you should definitely do it