Medium

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by AGGrower, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Ok I'm new to growing indoors and dont know what medium to pick. I know of soil or hydroponics (bubble buckets). Which one would you guys pick and why?

I have a 400 digital ballast with a cooltube reflector if that helps any.

2. I would say 1/2 inch rock wool pellets. Would run you around $7 per pot.

3. i think this new guy is confused. hehe

so 400watt light. there are two main categories here like you said

soil and hydro

soil mediums: soil, vermiculite, pearlite, coco coir which is some amazing stuff.

hydro mediums: usually just rockwool and hydroton

since you mentioned bubble bucket as a medium in your question i will add other -methods- of growing with hydroponics.

bubble bucket like you said also known as DWC (deep water culture)
    flood and drain aka ebb and flow
    drip
    and aero

4. For a first time grower, I would suggest going soil. It is easier and much more forgiving than hydro. Do your hydro research along the way, and once you get a couple of soil grows under your belt, give hydro a shot. By then, you will know the basics about what a plant needs, what problems look like, etc., and a hydro grow will come easier.

5. bubble buckets all the way! hydro really isn't that hard.

5 gal bucket, net pot lids, air pump, air stone, air tube, then get a cheap TDS meter from ebay and pick up a ph test kit (the little eyedropper bottle) when you get your nutes. i really don't think theres any need for fancy $200 meters. just keep your shit in range (ph between 5 and 6) and don't feed your seedlings 800 PPM of nutes, as burning the plants is the biggest and easiest mistake to make/avoid. its a cheap, simple setup.

i've never grown in soil. the buckets work really well for me. no worries about over/underwatering, testing the run off, salt buildup in the soil. i dunno i just don't think its really that hard or complex. some trial and error, yes, but what doesn't? once you get it right you'll have bigger and faster growth.

just my two cents brah. good luck.

peace