Medium Alternative

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by popatoker, Sep 7, 2011.

1. If I didn't have enough money for the good organic soil like roots organics or fox farm, and didn't have the luxuary of a hydroponics shop in my city, what would be the alternative?

Not Miracle grow because of the obivious reasons, but something else that is safe and is on the level of the mediums we kjnow and trust. I have a Lowes with alot of choices, and to have me believe that non can grow a marijuana plant is silly. Any suggestion grasscity??

2. I find most good soils for around $8 per 20qt bag at the local garden center. If you mean you have no money to spend at all, there isn't much to do with a soil grow but scoop up some good old earth.

To find a garden center nearby that has good prices, separately Google "Garden Center" "Nursery" and "Hydroponics", each with your zip code next to it in the search field. Click on the little map and call the closest & best rated stores. Some will sell good soils in bulk so you can just buy what you need.

3. Howdy popatoker,

Welcome to Grasscity. A few months back I had a similar question asked of me and I posted this soil recipe using nothing but items sourced from your local Home Depot. You can put together a good soil mix for a lot less than a "hydro store" mix if you're resourceful.

Honestly, the whole soil thing is overblown IMO. Save your money and build your own soil. Take the money you've saved, and buy a good book on growing plants, not just MJ. If you were to learn what it requires to grow plants, rather than some of the growing mythology put out in the cannabis world, you'll be light years ahead of the game.

HTH

chunk

4. Chunk, apparently I can't + rep you just yet, but I love your post, right on dude!

And popatoker, if I got that advice earlier, I would have cut off two years off my learning curve. Because if you stay with organic soil, you will be doing this eventually. Best to get reading.......MIW

5. I agree, the advice is great cause I was really leaning on doing a side by side experiment on different organic soil. I also feel that all the hype in having to have the hydro store brand soil is over rated. See I figured that if the stuff in Lowes or Home Depot was good enough for commercial grows then why not cannabis??

Sometimes we all get caught up in the hype about what to use as medium and brand fertilizers. I'm a realist and if there was something that can do the same results as if
    the Fox Farms I'll use it. Thanks for re-assuring my hypothosis guys.