Meditation

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by MelT, Nov 7, 2012.

1. #1 MelT, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    I get a few mails asking about meditation and the best way to progress, so I thought it might be useful to answer some basic FAQ here.

1) Meditation is of two kinds: one is to allow a sense of well-being, the other is to help you progress towards enlightenment. At the start the two can be pretty much the same, but become very different after year one.

Meditation done with the aim of reaching realisation consists of not just meditation in the sense that most would think of it, but also a number of subsidiary techniques that also need to be given equal time. You would learn about the nature of reality, how to relax at specific places, how to project and sustain a sense of 'liking' (Metta), how to be mindful, etc. etc. - so meditation becomes quite time-consuming thing that you do as much in real life as you do on a meditation cushion.

If you think you'd like to head for realisation, have you go the time to give over to the above?

2) There is no single meditation form that will take you from beginner to realised. Meditation is a varied set of techniques that are learned at different stages of the path. Chakras, mantras, etc are just one facet of the whole that can not get you there by themselves. This is the reason why some take up formal meditation through a Buddhist or Hindu school, it's very hard to do without some guidance.

3) Kundalini is not a true form of meditation, but was invented as the preliminary, cleansing stage before practicing Raja Yoga. Of all the forms of meditation, it is the most misrepresented.

4) What should you read and do if you don't want to go to a proper class to learn about it all? Read about the idea of Sunyata first and foremost. Strive not just to understand it, but to get to the point where you can not look at reality without knowing its nature as Sunyata. Do basic shamatha, aiming for 'one pointed concentration' for the first year, then explore Vipassana for a year, all the while reading everything you can lay your hands on from any and all traditions. There is little to no difference between the aims and basis of Taoism, Zen, Sufism, Hinduism, Jainism, etc. All believe in the same reality, the same enlightenment. After two years consider proper tuition.

5) On the whole, whilst there are many completely useless types of meditation that are promoted by the Western Occult system, the only difference in real traditions is the speed that each may get you to realisation. Basic Mahayana is unlikely to get you realised in one lifetime, Dzogchen is highly likely. Neither is wrong, one is just faster than the other.

6) Nobody HAS to meditate to become realised, it simply increases the chances of it taking place.

7) What are the downfalls of meditation? There are certain popular writers who promote incomplete meditation methods, all of which will give problems. Meditation has to come with all of the subsidiary techniques or it just won't help you.

8) It may sound a strange thing to say, but do not think about heading for realisation until later in life. This is for two reasons: the work needed takes over everything and there is no guarantee of success; many have practiced for forty or fifty years in the wrong forms and got nowhere. The second reason is that you may actually succeed and become realised. Normal life will stop at this point, you will not be the same person afterwards, will not want any of the same things as before, if anything. It's doubtful if you would follow a career or have a family. There is nowhere to go, not even within the traditions themselves once it takes place, you will be alone in every sense of the word.

Be careful what you wish for.

MelT

2. Good post friend.

3. #3 FatDutchie, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
    this is a great post but meditation is so boring. Our world is full of exciting things that make us euphoric. Including active compounds in nature that expand our minds to levels we are not capable of reaching in our present state of mind.

4. If I might, let me dispel the idea that meditation is boring. Meditation isn't about cutting yourself off from the world and becoming more and more internalised and less feeling. Quite the opposite, it's about being learning to be here in a way that makes all stimuli that much more exciting and alive, experience itself becomes wonderful.

I've researched the experiences of those on a variety of drugs over the years, and none are anywhere near the depth of experience of a good glimpse of Kensho.

MelT

5. whatever tickles your pickle but IMO if you find it that boring you either have a terribly short attention span or are just plain doing it wrong.

6. Ive been practicing meditation for the past 6 months...havent really gotten anywhere and sometimes i end up falling asleep. But i know there's something deeper to it....so ill continue to do it for as long as i feel the achievement is reachable.

7. very mature

8. I'm a tad bit worried I am doing it wrong now, you see I'm still a beginner.

My method? sitting upright and focusing on my breath, simply observing any chatter going on not trying to stop it. then it slows down...it's been a couple months so far.

The other night I had somewhat of a breakthrough, I was getting small glimpses of what reality really is. Am I doing it wrong?

9. You're doing 'Mindfulness of Breathing' a good, standard form. As for the glimpses it would depend.

MelT

10. okay that's good.

the glimpses of reality I experienced were very subtle

11. i recently started meditating.
    currently im doing 5-10 minute sessions.

working my way up...
    its very relaxing and enlightening.
    & after a week 5 minutes seem like blinking.