Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medicinal Tea - Single Serving Edible

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by DDV, Aug 14, 2013.

1. #1 DDV, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013
    Originating from China, tea has been drunk for it's herbal medicinal qualities. The ancient samurais would have what is known as a tea ceremony and would drink it to increase wakefulness. As the local myth goes, the Zen master Buddha-dharma became frustrated during his meditation and ripped off his eyelids and threw them on the ground, and from them grew the tea plant which can be used to be alert and calm at the same time.

[​IMG]

What you will need:
    - Dried cannabis (amounts used will vary according to the strength you like; anywhere from .5g to a pound would work I would think.)
    - Loose leaf tea (bagged tea works also)
    - A stove and a source of water
    - A teapot, or a mug
    - A strainer
    - Butter

How long it will take to make:
    ~30 minutes.

Step 1: Grind your weed.

For a regular sized teapot, I use about a joint's worth of frosty herbs. You can use more if you would like stronger effects or if you want to make a larger amount. Experiment with amounts to find what works best for you.

Grind your weed as finely as you can get it; kief is also acceptable to use.

[​IMG]

Step 2: Prepare your tea

If you want a good pot of tea, then use good tea. Any kind of loose leaf tea works - I use green tea or yerba mate because of the strong taste - and bagged teas work also.

If you are making a teapot's worth of tea, about 1 tablespoon of tea will work, loose leaf or bagged is fine. Your tea amount should be at least double the amount of cannabis you use.

If you are making a cup's worth, use about 1/2 tablespoon of tea, loose leaf or bagged is good. Double the amount of tea compared to weed remember.

Now, brew only the tea (no weed) as you normally would, in a cup or teapot or whatever. While you are waiting for the tea to brew move onto the next step.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Cook your weed and make the tea

You will be basically making a single-serving of cannabutter now. Take about double the size of weed in butter and put it in a pan and turn the stove on the lowest possible setting. If your butter melts, that means the temp is good. If your butter melts and starts to bubble, turn the heat down (it should be on the lowest setting anyway.. didn't you hear me?)

Put your grinded up weed in the melted butter and stir constantly for 20 minutes. The mixture should turn a dark or light green.

[​IMG]

After 20 minutes, turn the stove off. Your tea should be brewed now and it should be very hot; if it is kinda hot or sort of warm then put it back on the stove and heat it up so it's just about to boil. Take your weed butter mixture and pour it onto your brewed tea.

Make sure that wherever you will be drinking it from - a cup, mug, or teapot - you strain the weed/butter while pouring it into the teapot or mug so that no weed gets in there. My own teapot comes with a strain built-in so I make the tea, then pour the butter on top of the tea and let it sit.

So yeah, let it sit with the tea, in hot water, for about 5-10 minutes. Then you can remove the strainer and tea and all that and serve yourself a nice cup of tea.

[​IMG]

The tea has a very weedy smell, so if you have stealth issues just use a strong tea or use lots of it. It tastes great, gets you very high and the actual green tea is extremely medicinal and provides energy, alertness, and cancer-fighting antioxidants. This is perhaps the healthiest tea (well, besides the butter) in the world. It can be a discreet, effective, and enjoyable medicine.

You can also store it in the fridge for later, or serve it iced.

Share your experiences and questions, and drink up. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. I sure hope I didn't over complicate it all.

3. Wonderful! Thanks for the help, But A few questions with the canabutter i do realize that will make it the most potent but I wouldn't ever make tea with butter. Is there any other way I could do this? Like brew the weed inside the Teapot for like 30mins with the actual tea? Or use Honey or something besides butter?

4. I'm curious to know if a whole milk or cream would work? Something also high in fat.

5. Buttery tea?

6. I did a thread similar to this a while back with half and half milk... didnt use a single drop of butter  and didnt have to cook the weed seperate or anything jus simple decarb on a pan by lightly toasting for 5 mins

7. #7 DDV, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013

Personally, I don't mind the butter. I was trying out the cannabutter recipe and I just decided to drink it with tea instead, and it tasted OK and worked like a charm. You need some source of fat to be cooked with the dried herbs.. Here is a thread which can be used to make tea much quicker and without butter (you can just use the milk) but it's not nearly as potent as this recipe, though it is quicker. The butter is necessary because it makes it much more potent and is much more effective in extracting the THC. If you can't use butter and would prefer milk, you can use this tutorial to make THC-infused milk and then just add it onto the tea, though it takes an hour to make it.

This is a good recipe to use if you are making a decent sized amount of tea, like a large teapot's worth. You can drink it throughout the day and maintain a really nice level of calmness. It is also meant to focus more on effectiveness and using less herb rather than speed.

8. Great post man, I just got my wisdom teeth removed yesterday so I'm gonna give this a go pretty soon.  With a fairly low tolerance, will half a gram of high end stuff be good for a single serving or is it worth it to go for more? Correct me If I'm wrong but it seems as if most of the thc-extraction occurs when cooking with the butter? I also assume this smells to some degree but is it a stink up the whole house kind of smell or just mild? 

9. I used about half a gram of weed and got a very nice, relaxing high that was noticeable. Like 3/10. It all depends on what strength you want it; the more weed the more high you will get. Yeah, the THC is extracted while making the butter and it does smell somewhat strong. Just make sure you open the windows and turn on a fan and the smell should be gone within a few hours. You can also cook something to cover the smell, like popcorn.

Definitely report back with the results man, and any other questions you might have. :)

11. There's all kinds of science and technical info on GC that explains it in detail, but generally speaking it all comes down to this: your body will not absorb the active ingredients in the herb through digesting it by itself. The active ingredients must be absorbed by a fat of some sort first, which your your body WILL then absorb. And the herbs will not break down in anything other than a fat of some sort. So whether it's butter, coconut oil, bacon fat or some other fat, you can't do edibles - or drinkables - without it. Period.

12. Sure you can.  I decarboxylate weed and put it in capsules just like that.  It works fine.  I have a fairly low tolerance and use .2 gram per capsule.  It's long lasting, too. Fats extract THC but that's not the only thing that does.  Our bodies extract it also, plus various solvents.

13. #13 juke52, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

Ok, I'll rephrase that: you can eat dry weed if you want, but I certainly wouldn't.  :) 

I've tried just about every imaginable method of ingesting edibles, from quicky shortcuts to the most the complicated and time-consuming extractions, and the least effective, least potent methods I've used are those that don't use a fat of some sort to act as a digestible vehicle for the active ingredients.  But if it works out OK for you that way, you are a lucky person!

14. I am a lucky person!  I'm still going to try the tea, though.

15. THC can also be extracted by alcohol. Already decarbed herb, such as vaped herb can be eaten just like that too. :)

16. Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting anyone take capsules like mine, I was just saying I know ingesting decarbed oil-free weed works because I do it just about everyday.  I did try the tea and honestly I like it better than my plain capsules because it came on faster and the high was also a bit more intense.  It just didn't last as long which could be good because now when I take a booster capsule about 10pm sometimes I'll still be buzzed the next morning. Maybe I should take my capsule at my normal time, about 3pm, and use double's tea for a booster.

17. Good to hear it worked for you man, I did notice you can feel the high almost instantly when you drink it and then it slowly grows more and more.. that was definitely a trip.

18. Much needed bump!

19. [SIZE=11.5pt]What's the benefit of this tea?[/SIZE]

20. COCONUT OIL!

Sure, butter works. So does whole milk or cream. But I always go with Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil has a mild flavor and the highest saturated fat content (something like 93%) - so it's the best choice, IMO.

As for flavoring, I've found these work the best (personal preference):

Nutmeg
    Cinnamon
    Honey
    Vanilla Extract
    Almond Extract