Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medicinal marijuana for Gastroparesis?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by theganjagoddess, Sep 27, 2009.

1. #41 afw206, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

2. it's so good to hear that it is a good thing and others are feeling better smoking! the dr I went to said there was no hope for me until I quit smoking and it was all in my head that it was helping me! she said I can wait a month and come in for a drug test to make sure I wasn't still smoking and get this "to show me it was all in my head and it didn't help me!" I was besides myself with worry for this medical professional that was so against something that she has resorted to calling me a liar! I tried for 3 days not to smoke and I could not get out of bed! as soon as I smoked I was fine! I have heard a lot about side effects from smoking I have not seen any bad side effects! I live in Colorado so I have a red card so mj is legal for me here and I can't even imagine not getting quality bud for a reasonable price! I will never move until MJ is legal in every state! thank you all for the info!!!

goddess bless

3. Hi, I am in the process of deciding how to approach my conservative doctors with my desire to pursure mmj as I fear that I will lose some of them over this.  I have moderate to severe gastroparesis and am a candidate for the gastric pacemaker, except my GI doc says he doesn't recommend it because they usually don't work.  I have lots of other health problems and know I could get off some of the 15 different meds I take daily so for me mmj is a slam dunk. 

I tried Reglan and in 3 days time I started having seizures, so after another 2 weeks of it being in my system the seizures finally stopped and I started Domperidone that my husband drove to Mexico to get.  I am afraid to stay on Domperidone long term as I have heard it is not good to do so, and there are really not other options for me. 

I feel very confident that I would qualify for mmj as my medical records speak for themselves and I was also awarded full disability by the government.

How have you approached your doctors about this, and did you lose your doctor over it?

Thanks and be well!!!

4. I still have the doctor but I really never go down to see her, I have not been back since but she continues to call in my refills. Also found out on a recent trip that taking a motion sickness pill and smoking in the morning before I even get out of bed helped all day! And on the Dr, I am looking into other Dr's that realize the help the a person can get from smoking!  I have never even heard of all these different meds b4, I am against medicine as much as possible I always read the side effects and decide there! Also Reiki Healing along with Energy Massage  and acupuncture helps so much I can't even explain how great going to a Reiki appointment might help all the other problem you have! I am pagan/wiccan so I truly believe in healing from the inside with the things that nature and spirit has given us and has worked for so many thousands of years is the only way to go! 
    Goddess Bless!

5. Hi new here have gastroparesis and celiac disease. Everyday is a struggle. I have been sick for years and marijuana is the only thing that helps. I have had two gastric emptying studies done. The 1st test I didn't smoke prior to it. And the second test I did there was a noticeable improvement between the two. I have not ever mentioned that to my doctor though?? I think I am afraid of his reaction? He wants to repeat the test seeing I had it done 4 plus years ago and prior to sending me in to talk about the electronic stimulator, not something I want at all. I also have tried every drug out there. Took reglan for 6 months and my face started to twitch a permanent side effect. Years later it now only happens when falling asleep and not out in public. I hate having to bring my own food everywhere but am so limited I have no choice. I live off of smoothies mostly. If not for smoking I think I would perish also!!

6. My wife has the gastric pacer. Worked great for two monthes and then went right back down hill. We've been thru this for the last four years and I can't keep her out of the hospital. Interestingly enough, two doctors from two different hospitals mentioned the medical marijuana as a good option that there own patients use. My wife is also allergic to most meds but she's also azmatic. Will this pose a big problem with the pot? Also, I have no clue what quantities are involved or the cost. Any help would be appreciated. We're in Northern California.

7. It's really interesting that I came across this. I've been diagnosed with this too, as well as gerd. For me, neither of my values in my stomach close completely, so I'm leaking acid from both ends. And I feel like I have something stuck in my throat after I eat or drink.

For me, I have to smoke. If I don't I can't eat, and have trouble keeping food down. And the cramps and pain sucks. I have ibs as well. So ya a huge bundle of fun for me. And the only thing that lets me function is weed. I curl up in a ball of misery with out it.

When it comes time to Nom down, I have the bong next to me, plate in front of me. and very often I toke, eat a tiny bit, toke a bit more, eat a bit more. Rinse repeat. And then I have a fat bowl that I toke off of for about an hour after to stave of the nausea.

Blur the lines between what is Unreal and what is real.

8. Hi there.  I was just recently diagnosed w/ moderate to severe diabetic gastroparesis.  It had gotten so bad that I could not keep water down for more than 45 minutes at a time, much less food.  Zofran helps immediately for nausea, but it is so ridiculously expensive.  I have had some mild success with Reglan, but find that in order for it to actually work, I have to take it pre-emptively to eating, and also find adverse side effects from it (major fatigue).  I used to smoke, but do not partake on a regular basis anymore.  I just recently moved back to IL, and was somewhat pleased to see that they have passed a Medical Marijuana bill through, but like some here I am hesitant to ask my Health Care Provider about it (she is ex-military/right wing/no bull kind of doctor).  Don't want to lose her, but need to figure out a way to approach her.  I am sincerely thinking of adopting the Truth method: come into her office, explain the situation, and inform her that with or without her consent I will be dabbling w/ MMJ to attempt & find a less "can't do anything due to fatigue" thing that I have now.  I am 39, and I feel like I am 65.  Something here is not right.

9. There are a few ways to go about it. If the law is in effect yet, then it might be good just to get your medical records, and go to a thc clinic, or something similar. They have a doc there that will ask some questions and sign a recommendation. Or at least that's one way of how it works in Oregon.

If your own doc is cool, and willing to write a script, go for it.

Though if its not in effect yet, I recommend the black market.

I'm only 36, and I hate the constant nausea. The only thing that helps is weed. I refuse to take more then Prilosec. The rest is diet and weed.

Mmm smoothies.

10. I've been out of weed for 2 days now. Well sorta, a friend stopped by with a branch of purple nepal that is hanging in my closet drying.
    But for smokable stuff, I'm out.

The nausea is so bad today that I broke down and scrapped some resin to see if that works. Ive been fighting the urge to hurl since I woke up. I've had one soild meal today, and that made it even worse. Even my fall back of smoothies isn't helping.

That's only 2 days! It's so wrong that I can't just go to a dispensary here to pick up sine meds and have to rely on my nephew to bring me my meds. It's not that I dont have the money. Just no easy access yet.

And it sucks that the benefits of weed for this particular illness are not not more well known.

*grumpy cat face*

11. To everyone out there who is looking for help talking to someone they think is going to shoot them down immediately check out this article               http://norml.org/library/item/gastrointestinal-disorders 

Also keep in mind that as much as you may like your doctor and/or their team, if they don't support you smoking and thats the only thing that works for you, then maybe you should look into a new doctor. You are paying them for a service, you don't need to impress them or owe them anything. You should be demanding the highest quality treatment, tailored to your symptoms and responses to medication. You are the patient, you are what matters in the situation. Take care of yourself first.

12. I know this is a very old thread, but it's the first good thread I've found anywhere that applies to me.  I've been suffering from severe idiopathic gastroparesis since I was pregnant with my youngest daughter in 2009-2010.  What we thought was hyperemesis gravidarum (intractible nausea and vomiting of pregnancy) never went away and many doctors and many tests later, I found out that I had one of the lowest gastrric emptying results my doctor at the time had ever seen.  (as an aside, people have said several times that diabetic gastroparesis is the most common form of GP - this is actually not true.  Most cases of GP are idiopathic.  Diabetic gastroparesis is the most common cause WHEN the cause is known, but in most cases, the cause simply is not known).  

I've been through surgery after surgery.  I had the gastric neurostimulator placed a year and a half ago and had some mild improvement, but still was not remotely functional.  I've had PICC lines, Hickman catheters, medi-ports, G-J tubes, J-tubes, TPN, tube feeding, etc.  Every central line I've had in the last two years has ended in either a life-threatening clot, or a life-threatening systemic infection.   I've been in the ICU and almost died from complications from my central lines more times than anyone should even have to think about.  (I've had 9 central lines over 2 years and have ended up in the hospital with severe issues every single time).  

For a couple of years, my doctor has suggested that I use marijuana, but I resisted while I was working because it would have cost me my job.  However, I've been unable to work for almost 2 years now and it's clear I'm not going back anytime soon.  Still, I had no idea how I would OBTAIN any (my state doesn't have any dispensaries yet, though it's in the works).  A random friend happened to ask me if I'd tried it (a friend I NEVER would have expected to suggest such a thing!) and I said I'd considered it but didn't know how to get it.  Turns out she had a connection and hooked me up.  

The person who actually provided the product for the experiment was SO excited to be involved in my experiment and literally felt like he was doing God's work.

I'm here to tell you, he wasn't wrong.  He WAS most assuredly doing God's work.  For the past 4+ years I have been unable to so much as keep water down, and with ONE hit, I was able to eat actual food.  

The three things I'm concerned with are:  1. disclosing to my physicians (which I feel strongly I must do), 2.  using it if my kids are home without another adult in the house and 3. MJ *can* cause both gastrric stasis and cyclical vomiting syndrome.  I DEFINITELY feel really incredibly bloated after eating.  However, my pain is nearly nothing (when it was previously so debilitating that I've had surgical interventions from a pain clinic to try and relieve the pain) and I'm able to eat a pretty wide variety of food now, which I haven't been able to do for years.  I do not feel impaired when using it, so I'm not sure I need to be *too* concerned about my kids, but I wouldn't have a few glasses of wine without another adult in the house, so I wonder if this would be irresponsible.  

Even if I only use it on weekends (when I have another adult in the house), I still think that this is SO miraculous that it's too good to pass up.  I'm thrilled with the results.  Marinol never worked for me, and all the other antiemetics have caused me to have cardiac side effects, which really sucks.  This feels LESS risky than the myriad of "FDA-approved" meds that I've tried.  I hope many others are able to benefit from this treatment.  It has truly changed my life in just a few days.

13. What do I do?  I have been diagnosed with severe gastroparesis and gerd.  I am on dexilant and now they want to put me on reglan which i am refusing to take.  So what i want to do is  illegal in my state and am afraid to do it because of the doctors drawing blood now and then.  I am hurting and confused at the same time.  I want to get better but not under a drug (reglan) that can send me into seizures and invouluntary face muscel movement, i mean i already have problems with parts of my face tingling now and then and they cant explain what that is from either all they tell me is that everything comes from anxienty which i think is bull.  Does anyone have any answers for me?  Please help.

14. if your worried about asking your doctor, ask his opinion about mmj first. 

dont be afraid to try reglan. I was, and Im responding well to it. the only side effect is my stomach grumbles at odd times.

15. #55 Galaxy420, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
    it seems that cannabis is like sex. parents tell you it is bad so for some people all your life you hide it and cross your legs. the best things in life are outlawed :)

to all the people who have psoted and are scared- cannabis is a natural substance and sprouted up from the very dirt the earth is made of. make up your mind based on that fact

16. love reading stuff like this brilliant news

sent from under mi sensi tree

17. [SIZE=10pt]Gastroparesis results in delayed emptying of food from the stomach into the small intestine. [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]The primary symptoms of gastroparesis are nausea and vomiting which medicinal hashish is commonly used to treat. Despite lingering social stigma regarding marijuana, the legitimate medical uses for it simply cannot be denied. Thankfully, there is a growing tend towards states' legitimizing its usage for debilitated and qualified patients in need.[/SIZE]

18. I take a regiment of reglan 4x times a day, an acidophilus  probiotic, and cannabis through out the day. 
    the first thing I reach for in the morning is my bong. it acts like a cup of coffee to me. and it has the added side effect of knocking out any morning nausea. then I take my pills, and bring the bong with me to the bathroom, to knock out any cramping while Im in there. my over all nausea is very low to none existent. and I havn't had any issues with vomiting.

also keep to food that easily squish. if its squishy food, its good. and if you can afford it, one the day where your body is just worn out, think about trying baby food. like the one in the pouches are good, as are the crackers and such. get something like pediolite or gatoraid too during those times.  

once my grow is harvested this year (my first one yay!) I'll be turning a lot of it into oils and candy.  I noticed that I only need one or 2 dabs in the morning to get the same effect as smoking my morning bowl, and the effects are more potent. but it can have the side effect of making my nausea worse for the first 5min if I take the dabs too close together. but that cause I'm not used to it. 

*wave*

19. avocado is good to eat too for stomach problems. thought of it when you mention eating baby food, avocado is one of the best baby foods.

20. Despite this post being old I would like to say that MJ is the only thing that remotely allows me to eat and or keep food down. I'm unsure whether gastroparesis was a part of my diagnosis but I know I have it when I'm throwing up food from the day before and they're still identifiable. I do have Gastroesophageal Reflux Diseases & Hiatal Hernia and IBS-D. I've been prescribed everything and now currently take Apo-Domperidone & MJ for most symptoms. My Doctor is aware of my usage it's just really hard to maintain work and home life and maintain my diseases if you will at the same time. It's exhausting. Highly considering going on Disability but it just seems like a lot of head ache and paperwork.