Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medicating in my own driveway, car

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by thesavagepony, May 23, 2011.

1. Just wondering what the legality of this is. I'd imagine that it might not be legal although I could see reasons why it might be allowed if the car isn't turned on. I've gotten caught by the cops a few times but gotten away free every time, looking back on it I was so stupid risking a dui + my future which requires me to be able to drive etc. At night I sometimes would like to be able to burn in the car with a few friends. Thing is, there's a security patrol that does rounds throughout the neighborhood every now and then, which could be a problem, which leads to this question. Can I legally burn in the driveway of my own house at night keeping a low profile etc? Would it make more sense to hotbox to contain the smell or would that be stupid because it'd be a giveaway for the patrol if passing by?

2. Depends if they can see you. If not u mite be safe, but otherwise cops seein foggy windows is a big giveaway...

3. Doesn't sound smart... Go outback or somewhere outside and excluded I'f you can't smoke inside

4. Well I was just curious on whether it's legal for me to do this. Considering I'm on my own property and a legal patient, although I could see why being in the driver's seat could be a problem. Intent to drive or some bs like that.

5. In that case ... You would have a better chance of it being legal being a patient lol.. But idk the laws but I assume you can only medicate in your homie but like I said I got no idea homie

6. I just like chillin' in my car with music and and a box and whatnot ha. But fiiiiiine, I guess I don't want a dui so I'll go out back. Although smoking solo in an empty house at night is eery as fuck when that paranoia hits ya.

7. Leave the lights off, crawl in the backseet, keep the radio down low, and watch for cars, then roll them windows up. And then keep your head down low. If they cant see you or your outline, you are non-existent, and if the keys arent in the ignition, i dont think they can get you with a dui.

Or you can invest in those car curtains for blocking out daylight, have them up, but just leave a crack on each side so your able to see up and down the street so you can know if a cars coming.

Edit: and if you get caught, tell the op you were smoking in your car cuz you dont want your house to smell like pot incase company comes over.

8. It sounds crazy enough to work :smoke:

9. I do this nearly every time I smoke. I don't like to smoke in my apt due to stealth concerns, so instead I sneak out to my vehicle with my bong in a wine bottle bag and just sit in the floor and toke away :smoke:

10. When I got my card I was told this rule...you can smoke anywhere you can legally have sex. If you are smoking in a place where you could get busted by the cops for "indecent activity" it probably isn't safe to smoke there.

:smoke:

11. #11 cball, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011

That's a good rule of thumb...I would add, unless ALL your friends caught toking with you, have mmj cards, the police can charge the card holder(s) with diversion...:eek:

To anyone that has to 'sneak out' to use MJ, you must not have a mmj card/rec...if you do, and still have to 'sneak out', due to parent issues, you need to move into your own apt/house so mommy and daddy won't catch you and send you to your room...

12. I just wouldn't do it in my car, even if it was parked in my garage. There are much easier places to toke in, especially if you're medical!

13. I'm not sure I get what the appeal would be to smoke in your vehicle in your own driveway. I love the freedom to smoke in my own home...in whichever room I choose... I have my own little smoking corner in a bedroom. Comfy chair, desk, smoking tools, extra light, safe containing all my meds, IPad, IPhone, 60 inch surround sound Hdtv. I rarely leave that spot. Occasionally I enjoy my pipe outside in my yard.

14. Here's the law in Michigan.. ( I can't speak for any other state)

As for a medical patient you cannot A) Medicate in public or on public transportation. B) Medicate while driving a vehicle.

So here's the scoop behind this. You are able to sit in your vehicle ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY. (Just as you are able to operate motor vehicles in Michigan under the influence on private property)

If your vehicle is parked on the street or in a parking lot you are in violation of the law.

Here's the other side of it though. As long as the keys are out of the ignition you are able to medicate where ever. This is due to our Concealed Weapons law which states a vehicle is private domain no matter where it is. (Hence needing a warrant to search one.)

It's still unclear as to it being legal to medicate in a moving vehicle if someone else is operating it. You won't get any legal recourse from doing it right now, but the person driving WILL be taken to get their blood tested regardless of if they smoked or not.. mainly due to the cops seeing/smelling someone in the car smoking (regardless of patient or not.)

Hope this helped to clear things up somewhat.

15. green text is good.

red text stuff will get you in court to convince a judge the cop was in the wrong....

gray text, is, well, it's a grey area, most likely will happen, and YOU just may go along to be charged with diversion..

the underlined, should be a hint on why there is red text, cops use "i smelled marijuana" as probable cause all the time, or they saw suspicious behavior to search...and everyone just may have too go to court to convince that judge....

16. dom't think you should be getting stoned in your car

17. ...Well that boat has already sailed.

To the guy who recommended curtains, that would look funny as hell on my old beat up bmw. Lmao! Spaced and cthulu, thanks for the info.

Oh wait... I misquoted...

18. Just keep the window cracked a little, Turn the car facing the street, keep an eye out for trouble. You could get your windows tinted. Sit real low in your seat or lean the seat back

19. The way I see this is: If you own the property (land/house) and the car, and you're a legal patient of the state, there's nothing illegal going on if you smoke in your car SO LONG as you don't have the keys in the ignition, or else you could be charged with driving under the influence of drugs or operating a motor vehicle while impaired or something like that. I'd throw them in the back of the car so that if a cop were to pull up there's no indication that you were driving or that you had the intent to drive... but then again, why risk it? If your a patient just smoke in your house, although I know this can be quite hard sometimes for a variety of reasons...

Happy Toking!