Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Use Of Marijuana Prevalent Among AIDS/HIV Patients, Study Says

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by RMJL, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Medical Use Of Marijuana Prevalent Among AIDS/HIV Patients, Study Says

January 15, 2004 - San Mateo, CA, USA

San Mateo, CA: Approximately one out of four patients suffering from HIV has smoked marijuana within the past month to relieve symptoms of the disease, according to clinical findings published in this month's issue of the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes.

Twenty-three percent of the 252 participants in the study responded that they had smoked medicinal marijuana within the previous month. "Reported benefits included relief from anxiety and/or depression (57%), improved appetite (53%), increased pleasure (33%), and relief of pain (28%)," authors stated.

A similar survey conducted in Canada and presented last November at the Ontario HIV Treatment Network research conference concluded that 29 percent of HIV-positive Ontarians used marijuana therapeutically.

Presently, clinical trials examining the therapeutic potential of cannabinoids in HIV patient populations are ongoing at the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research.

According to a recently published study in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, use of inhaled marijuana demonstrates "no major, short-term harmful effects and possibly some beneficial effects ... in HIV-infected patients taking protease inhibitors."

For more information, please contact either Allen St. Pierre or Paul Armentano of The NORML Foundation at (202) 483-5500. Abstracts of the study, entitled "Patterns of Marijuana Use Among Patients With HIV/AIDS Followed in a Public Health Care Setting," are available online at:
    http://www.lwwonline.com/article.asp?ISSN=1525-4135&VOL=35&ISS=1&PAGE=38

updated: Jan 15, 2004

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5907

2. I am HIV positive and let me tell you it has to be more than that. I am a section 56 exempt grower and user of Cannabis. I have been given this exemption by the government of Canada!!! I know that cannabis helps me eat and takes away the side effects of all my medications!! Pot has basically saved my life by allowing me to take my pills and be able to keep them down and to be able to eat. Since I first got my exempt status last year I have put 60 pounds on my 120 pound AIDS wasted body. Today I weigh in at a respectable 180 lbs. Not bad for a person who thought he was going to die last year.

3. Sativa's are being studied for their impact on restoring immune functions in immune comprimised patients. The results so far have been positive....they just don't know why this is working!!! I think when they have clinical proof of the efficacy of the Cannabis Sativa plant on immune comprimised patients that the way will be cleared and all who need it will be prescribed the sativa!!! The proof is as they say"in the pudding"!!! It's only a matter of time. My CD4 cellcount has risen from a very dangerously low 20 to over 210 today,and it continues to increase. My viral load has been undetectable since I started my meds and consumed cannabis last year. I think people in general will want to do what is the right thing to do and after it has been proven,,,,well ,,,,I think you will see a lot more lenience towards med users WORLDWIDE!!! peace!!