Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical MJ for minors?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by zonked, Dec 18, 2008.

1. My 17 year old nephew has chronic depression and a few anxiety disorders. I was curious, is medical MJ legal for minors in Colorado? The whole family has been interested in looking into medical for him and we were curious if it is just 18+ years for a legal MJ situation.

:cool:

~Thanks

2. Yes. I believe they have applications for over 18 and under 18 (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Of course it has to have patential guardian signatures and such. Maybe more strict guidelines.

Do some online research. Google medical marijuana colorado

3. #3 wraughbit, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2008
    Yeah you have to have both of your parents sign the minor application. I'm not sure if that's taken into account for the eligibility though. I would like to think that it does, but I couldn't tell you if it does or not. I'm definitely not going to try till I get out of the house. My Dad was a physician though and so I've never actually really been to a family doctor. So I don't have many medical records even though I do have lower back pain when I use a pillow, and ADD(documented), appetite, anxiety, and insomnia.

It probably wouldn't be real hard to get it recorded, but I just haven't gotten around to it so I'm not even going to bother.

4. The only state that has doctor's who will actually sign the rec. for minors is California and I believe it is rare there.

Colorado hasn't yet had any doctors sign a minor's rec. so good luck!

5. Oregon has minors as MMJ patients. The risk is the FEDs. Fed define minors as under 21. Federal drug laws increase the penilties if a minor is involved should the feds get involved.

clinton

6. I don't know what the laws are in Colorado. I live in MI though, and our system was passed, and technically went into effect on the 4th (of Dec), but "no one can register for the program until after April 4." (an official quote from michigan.gov site, in a FAQ section about proposal 1)

So I did some more looking, and also found out that we WILL be permiting minors under the age of 18 to use MMJ. Wheather any doctors will actually recomend and support this is yet to be seen of course though. This is what the new law says though about the topic.....

(b) The department shall not issue a registry identification card to a
    qualifying patient who is under the age of 18 unless:
    (1) The qualifying patient's physician has explained the potential risks and
    benefits of the medical use of marihuana to the qualifying patient and to his or her
    parent or legal guardian;
    (2) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian submits a written
    certification from 2 physicians; and
    (3) The qualifying patient's parent or legal guardian consents in writing to:
    (A) Allow the qualifying patient's medical use of marihuana;
    (B) Serve as the qualifying patient's primary caregiver; and
    (C) Control the acquisition of the marihuana, the dosage, and the frequency
    of the medical use of marihuana by the qualifying patient.