Medical Marijuana: Poor People Need Not Apply?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by oltex, Aug 12, 2010.

1. #1 oltex, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
    Medical Marijuana: Poor People Need Not Apply?
    Change.org / Chris Cassidy / 08.06,2010

How often do you hear of a good idea coming out of Washington, D.C.? Last year, the federal District of Columbia didn't just join 14 states in legalizing medical marijuana — the city went one step further to try and make it accessible to folks in need.

The city enacted a sliding price scale that charges low-income patients lower prices.
    By expanding access to medical marijuana, we're extending the American dream to folks like Megan Skipper — a low-income, HIV-positive D.C. resident who relies on medical marijuana. She says it quells her nausea caused by the other drugs she takes to extend her life, permitting her to eat. According to Change.org's Megan Cottrell, Skipper's limited budget only permits her to spend minimal amounts to fill her medical marijuana prescription. D.C.'s sliding scale approach to medical pot makes access to care much more viable for folks like Skipper.

The sliding scale principle hasn't yet caught on: across the 14 states that permit medical marijuana, there is presently no requirement that dispensaries make the drug accessible to indigent patients. However, Berkeley, Calif. voters may adopt a D.C.-style approach this November, and others should follow D.C.'s humane example as well. Medical marijuana shouldn't just be a privilege reserved for the well-to-do.

Join me and other Change.org readers in demanding that medical marijuana states make the drug available to those who need it, and not just those who can afford to pay.

Lets show dispensary owners that compassion does not mean exorbitant profits.

2. if all these states have seen a good turn out for MMJ, why is Medical use just given a pass by the feds and let this structure go nation wide? That way it keeps some structure that is atleast proven to do better than prohibition and parents could sleep well due to the fact that they would need to take their child to the doctor for a legit problem... I know I have been on all kinds of dumb shit for my 2 surgeries on my back... Oxycontin 80mg. 4x's daily with 4 norcos daily for breakthrough pain, Oxymorphone, Opana, Kadian, Fentynal patches, daluadid, hydromorphone... you can pretty name a popular opiod from the years of 2000-2010 and I have been on it (and at such high doses!) It is rediculous that I ever quit smoking pot (probation-year 2000 for 5years) and when i went to smoke i got the worst high ever! so i didnt try anymore untill a year ago and I just started out with a hit, then next time 2 hits and so on, and that is doing FAR BETTER than all these "legal" drugs that are much more addictive (Believe me, I've had to ween myself down because my doctors either are idiots or just want me to stay on these pills!) I am down pretty low on a dose of opiods and a really low dose (compared to what i used to smoke, or normal smokers are used to) of pot and I am functioning better than i have in the last 10 years... :hello: FUCKING DOCTORS & PILL COMPANIES! The problem is that in my state there is and will never be a MMJ bill that passes! TEXAS is one of the most stuborn states ever! (and one of the most infultrated drug states ever). If it is good enough for others to use this as an alturnitive medicine (in other states) then why is it not good for me, when I know for a fact which one is healtier and works better... it just seems like this would be the way to go with nation?

3. Its amazing, the passage of DC's law went relatively smooth without a hitch right? Besides the fact that it was supposed to be enacted a while ago... why can't states see our own nation's capital implementation of an MMJ system.. and follow suit ><

Fucking New York dissappointed me hard this year.

4. but, what deffines poor. what income is not sufficent enough for 40-60+ dollars per week. that is where the real arugment is.

5. People living on s/s disability,unemployed people and all the homeless.

6. that, and ppl making 12K a year or less, the working poor. You would be surprised how many people out there only make 8k-12k a year.