Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana Nasal spray to be approved in Europe.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Superjoint, May 21, 2010.

1. Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis A cannabis-based nasal spray will receive approval later this month for marketing in the United Kingdom and Spain as a medicine for multiple sclerosis, makers of the compound announced this week.

GW Pharmaceuticals, makers of Sativex, won earlier regulatory approval for the use of Sativex in Canada in 2005. Users spray the cannabis mist under their tongues for the relief of spasticity due to M.S. It is intended primarily as an “add-on treatment for symptom improvement,” according to The Pharma Letter, in patients “who have not responded adequately to other anti-spasticity medication.”

The London Evening Standard reported that the company, which grows its marijuana in undisclosed locations in England, expects the treatment to be offered as early as June under marketing agreements with Bayer of Germany and Almirall of Spain. A Japanese pharmaceutical firm has marketing rights to Sativex in the U.S., but the drug has not garnered any significant attention or approval here.

The Evening Standard reported that marketing rights from Bayer and Almirall could add up to more than $20 million when the medicine is formally approved.

European regulatory officials stress that they still have to finalize local wording on product packaging and associated documents before final marketing approval can be granted.

GW Pharmaceuticals has been working on Sativex for more than a decade now, as a medication for multiple sclerosis patients, as well as patients suffering from advanced cancers. Chairman Geoffrey Guy said that the company was “transitioning from a late-stage development company to a commercial pharmaceutical business with excellent growth prospects.”

2. fuck yea

3. Now, could one of you nice Europeans please explain this to the American FDA???

4. And please remember that the US government holds a patent on a medical use- this kind of puts a big old hole in their "no medical use" argument!

US Patent 6630507 - Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants
    (full - 2003) (Assignee (owner) the US GOVERNMENT!)
    Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants - US Patent 6630507 Full Text

And a few more to give you ideas-

US Patent 4189491 - Tetrahydrocannabinol in a method of treating glaucoma
    full - 1980)
    Tetrahydrocannabinol in a method of treating glaucoma - US Patent 4189491 Abstract

US Patent 5389375 - Stable suppository formulations effecting bioavailability of Ɗ9 -thc :p (full - 1995)
    Stable suppository formulations effecting bioavailability of

US Patent 6328992 - Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery (full - 2001)
    Cannabinoid patch and method for cannabis transdermal delivery - US Patent 6328992 Full Text

US Patent Application 20050042172 - Administration of medicaments by vaporisation (full - 2002)
    Administration of medicaments by vaporisation - US Patent Application 20050042172 Full Text

US Patent 6713048 - Δ9 tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9 THC) solution metered dose inhalers and methods of use (full - 2004)
    Δ9 tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9 THC) solution metered dose inhalers and methods of use - US Patent 6713048 Full Text

US Patent 6974568 - Treatment for cough (full - 2005)
    Treatment for cough - US Patent 6974568 Full Text

US Patent 6949582 - Method of relieving analgesia and reducing inflamation using a cannabinoid delivery topical liniment (full - 2005)
    Method of relieving analgesia and reducing inflamation using a cannabinoid delivery topical liniment - US Patent 6949582 Full Text

20050070596 - Methods for treatment of inflammatory diseases using CT-3 or analogs thereof (full - 2005)
    Methods for treatment of inflammatory diseases using CT-3 or analogs thereof - US Patent Application 20050070596 Full Text

US Patent 7088914 - Device, method and resistive element for vaporizing a medicament (full - 2006)
    Device, method and resistive element for vaporizing a medicament - US Patent 7088914 Full Text

A friend of mine, Trogdor, is doing with patents, what I have done with medical studies! :D He will be releasing his list this summer! Look for it- it will be interesting reading and likely the basis for a law suit demanding rescheduling! .

5. Aside from the medicinal benefits, I'm wondering if it gets you high?

6. I've mixed extra strong glycerin tincture with saline and sprayed it. I guess I'll have to stop making it since it's patented now.

Yes, it works.

7. I wonder if such a spray helps with certain nose conditions. Someday, I shall make such a concoction: extra strong glycerin tincture with saline, and spray it into my nose. What nose condition am I talking about? One that probably can easily be remedied. You see... I have a bad habit of picking my nose. That's one thing, but the other side of the story is my nose producing prodigous amounts of garbage. But that garbage has a purpose. Because, when I go out and do hard 800m running workouts, among other things, post-workout, the huge volumes of air burn the shit out of my nose, and I get the runs. Big time, it sucks. Now, to only remember that when I pick my nose, that I should keep some of the garbage produced by my nose, keep that intact, so I can show up for those specific workouts with protection... but yeah, those post-run nose runs and sneezes, can sometimes be hell. I wonder if cannabis spray would help. It might, but regardless, I gotta preserve my nose boogers for those running workouts.

8. #8 tharedhead, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
    After getting so confused by doucebags post I apparently neg repped him (I think I meant to PM him, I never know what the heck I'm doing:confused:) I finally figured out he was talking about exercise induced rhinitis
    Exercise-induced allergies: the role of histamine ... [Ann Allergy. 1992] - PubMed result

This would be covered under Asthma, on Granny Stormcrow's most excellent list (why oh why can't I get the links to show up :()

ASTHMA

The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therapies
    IngentaConnect The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therap...

Acute and subacute bronchial effects of oral cannabinoids.
    Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Comparison of bronchial effects of nabilone and terbutaline

Bronchial effects of aerosolized delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol

Bronchodilator effect of delta1-tetrahydrocannabinol administered by aerosol

Effects of smoked marijuana in experimentally induced asthma.

Marijuana and oral delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol on specific airway conductance

New Synthetic Delta-9-THC Inhaler Offers Safe, Rapid Delivery
    New Synthetic Delta-9-THC Inhaler Offers Safe, Rapid Delivery, Phase I Study

Smoked marijuana and oral delta-9-THC on specific airway conductance in asthmatic subjects
    Acute effects of smoked marijuana and oral delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol on specific airway conductance in asthmatic subjects

ANALGESIC AND ANTIINFLAMMATORY ACTIVITY OF CONSTITUENTS OF CANNABIS SATIVA L.
    Analgesic and Anti-Inflammatory Activity of Constituents of Cannabis Sativa