Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana is Overprescribed

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by allthehype21, May 13, 2010.

1. O yea? Check this out:

Ended up going to the ER in the middle of the night because my father couldn't breathe well, chest pain, etc. No worries, turns out it was just a huge muscle spasm in his back, thus constricting his chest and lung capacity. No heart problems or anything serious. Anyway, once in the ER, the nurse asked how bad his pain was. He reported a 1 (on a scale from 1 - 10). Upon first arrival/while still in the ambulance, he reported a pain of 2 (on a scale from 1 - 10).

To get to the point, he now has a prescription for Vicodin. Thats right: for pain management, for "level 1 pain", he was given a fucking Vicodin prescription.

Medical marijuana is overprescirbed/too easy to obtain? Fuck off.

2. Yeah, no shit. Couldn't agree with you more, especially considering all of the currently overprescribed medications that MMJ is capable of replacing.

If someone were to actually look at it that way, there is NO way in hell you could ever say that MMJ is overprescribed.

3. Wow, that's just ridiculous! Vicodin for level 2 back pain, awesome.

4. Your sarcasm made me laugh.
    But yeah, its bullshit. Doctors are just happy to hand out a script, as long as they get a fat pay check. Anyone can go to a doctor and claim they have terrible anxiety, and next thing you have a bottle of Xanax lol.

I think everyone should just man the fuck up about the marijuana situation.
    "It's immoral!"
    -And you don't think making pills from Opium is immoral?!? Oxycontin is synthetic heroin!

5. No OxyContin is not synthetic heroin. That expression is used sometimes but it is not only wrong but illogical.

Codeine and Morphine are both natural are the primary occurring opiates (narcotic pain killers) from raw opium (as is Thebaine, which is not used commercially). Most opiates are derived from Morphine or Codeine.

Heroin is technically called diacetylmorphine. From the name you see morphine. Heroin is a semi-synthetic drug that is effectively built on morphine. The difference between the two drugs (chemically) is very small.

OxyContin (Oxycodone) is also a semi-synthetic drug. Its name is derived from Codeine because Codeine and Thebaine are the 'base' of the chemical structure. And there are only small differences between Codeine and oxycodone.

So heroin is not natural and OxyContin is not synthetic. Synthetic opiates are drugs like Methadone and Demerol.

OxyContin is in the same class of drugs as heroin (opiates) and it is addictive- that is where the idea of synthetic heroin comes from. Really methadone is the closest thing to synthetic heroin.

6. Bro I couldn't agree more! Doctors hand out opiods like candy but get all uppity about someone smoking a little herb to relax or giving mmj to a fucking cancer patient. wtf:confused:

7. Well shit if we're getting all technical here, oxycodone is an OPIOD. But I see his point and I hope you do too.

8. I never understood why people choose to be weed snobs and say "only people who really NEED marijuana should be able to get a card." Come on man, as many people as possible should have safe access to marijuana, get off your high horse. :p

9. I like the term, "prescription heroin"...when you get down to it, heroin and oxycodone effect the body in such similar ways its hard for me to make distinction.

10. Well Yes, I was just pointing out the surname of the drugs, but realistically, the effects are no different. Heroin = non natural, Opium (example) = natural, Oxycontin (Oxycodone) = Semi-synthetic or non, Methadone = Synthetic....Its all in the chemical structure..But yes, they all produce the same effects on the brain.

My friends sister was prescribed a Methadone drink for having her tonsils removed, and she gave the drink to my friend who personally abused it, when it was gone, he tried to get more, when he failed to get more, he returned to MJ...:hello: