Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical marijuana in Mass

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by FreeRunnin, Nov 7, 2012.

1. It's a lot harder on the East Coast. Check out the law. It took WA 10 years to clarify their laws.

It's not that easy to get mmj. You have to have a real condition. Our state has nothing for anxeity , PTSD, Bi-pollar and others and it should.

If you have the land or large rooms to be a grower good for you. You want to get friends to put you down as their provider.That gives you the ability to have more plants.

Good luck Mass and congrats.

2. I guess that sucks, then, for the people without "legitimate" problems. Though the way its written currently leaves an awful lot up to interpretation.

3. I'm a current mass resident suffering from CP who is interested in networking with all mass people have funding and knowledge to start Dispensary. Subscribed.

4. Wow yeah definitely let us know. I was under the impression that it was only going to be recommended for people with terminally illnesses in MA. I didn't see the "can be recommended for other things based on the doctors discretion."

EDIT: Maybe it has written so nondescript to get it passed more easily?

5. [quote name='"RestlessDreamz"']

Wow yeah definitely let us know. I was under the impression that it was only going to be recommended for people with terminally illnesses in MA. I didn't see the "can be recommended for other things based on the doctors discretion."

EDIT: Maybe it has written so nondescript to get it passed more easily?[/quote]

You didn't miss it. It's not in there for that. It's not going to be as easy as you all think.

6. Most of the med laws I read through over the years have the clause "or other disease, ailment or condition" which leaves the door open if a physician is willing to write the recommendation. Whether or not some docs will write recs for every young person who claims depression, loss of appetite, insomnia, backaches, etc. - who knows?

7. Yeah it seems like the law isn't written in the same open way that the west coast laws here. That seems to be one of the major differences in the way the East coast is passing the laws vs the west coast haha. From what I have seen most east coast states have their laws written more strictly when it comes to this, ie terminally illnesses. While the west coast seems more open to it being used to anxiety, depression, insomnia, etc

8. Honestly, until allll of the details are laid out, everyone is just speculating.

My opinion is that if the state was going to be so strict on their definition of who qualifies, they would not have left such ambiguous wording in the billand also then documented that they are prepared to allow up to 5 dispensaries per county.

Obviously that doesnt mean that we WILL have 5 in each, but with how small of a state MA is to begin with, 5 per county is a lot. It wont be beneficial for people to want to open dispensaries in such close proximity if they are going to limit card-holders to those with terminal illnesses.

9. Ok i'll try to make this quick...

Apparently my primary doctor will not recommend medical marijuana. He says it is for people with debilitating conditions such as chronic pain, etc... not for Anxiety. He said I could get addicted to it. He also said the medication pills to calm me could get me addicted as well.

I think we need to give this some time. Also, he is a primary doctor and not a psychiatrist.

10. #30 Sgtstadanko707, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
    [quote name='"Rev612"']Ok i'll try to make this quick...

Apparently my primary doctor will not recommend medical marijuana. He says it is for people with debilitating conditions such as chronic pain, etc... not for Anxiety. He said I could get addicted to it. He also said the medication pills to calm me could get me addicted as well.

I think we need to give this some time. Also, he is a primary doctor and not a psychiatrist.[/quote]

Told u man. It's not going to be a joke like out here in the ca. It's will be like that for all new state passing mmj bills as well. They see ca an say don't do it this way.
    Also what the hell would a phy do for u. It's for people with injuries and pain not mental anxiety hogwash

11. What people will have to do is find supporting physicians of medical mj. It is going to be harder than alot of places, which in my opinion is a good thing. I don't want something I take very seriously taken as an opportunity for everyone and their 18 year old kids to start less than legitimate grow ops possibly harming others because of a lack of knowledge. The DPH has 120 days to define the parameters and hash out all the details left vague. We'll see when they release that what our actual situation may be.

12. I've got a lot of questions that need answering about Massachusetts and its medical marijuana laws as well. One big one being, is diabetes something that doctors would recommend mmj for?

13. My guess is that we'll have to wait and see regarding some of the vagueness of the language. They claim the program will go live in January 2013, I hope that happens, but as is the case with most other mmj states, once they start getting into the details they realize it's a lot more work than they thought.

I'd guess that they'll miss their Jan 1 date and push it back a few months, up to a year. It usually happens like this in most other states. Until they really get down to it, everything is speculation.

14. #34 Countrycowfreak, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.

Here a clip of a summation from MPP:

When does the new law take effect? The law goes into effect January 1, 2013. Within 120 days of that date, the Department is required to issue regulations for the processing of patient applications and applications to operate medical marijuana treatment centers. Until those regulations are finalized, Question 3 stipulates that a qualifying patient’s written recommendation shall serve as a registration card for the patient.

The full summation:

Question 3 Overview

And the law as it was voted on:

http://www.mass.gov/ago/docs/government/2011-petitions/11-11.pdf

But, it all depends on what they do to it in legislation. They could change the whole thing around and if they do, I will guarantee that it will not be to loosen restrictions.

It is a waiting game for now.

15. If the law gives doctors the discretion to prescribe marijuana then there will be doctors who will write scripts for the right price.

16. They always have those stipulations... but rarely do they meet them exactly. They'll release it, but it might be half-complete as far as the end-user is concerned. Just because it's written down doesn't mean it will go exactly like that. Welcome to government regulations...

Fingers crossed, though!