Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Epilepsy Medical Marijuana in Illinois

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by FiveJoints, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Hi.

I'm trying to seek a medical marijuana card for my anxiety and depression along with other benefits that help me. I have been diagnosed with epilepsy in the past when I was younger, but I grew out of it and no longer have it. However, I believe I have documentation of having epilepsy in the past when I was diagnosed and I was wondering if this would actually be useful in regards to actually getting a medical marijuana card and qualifying. Epilepsy is a qualifying condition. However, I don't know if you have to currently have epilepsy or just have legal documentation and proof that you somehow diagnosed with epilepsy.

If someone knows better about obtaining a medical marijuana card in Illinois, please get back to me as I'm very curious if I qualify. Yes, I know that Illinois is now becoming legal for recreational marijuana, but I would like to get my medical card early, as it helps me so much and I wish to have medicine for my mental health. I haven't been diagnosed officially with depression and I honestly don't know how I would be diagnosed and I'm not even sure if their tests are accurate when testing for stuff like that.

2. Epilepsy isnt curable or something you grow out of. Anxiety/depression isnt a qualifying illness in Illinois last I looked. I live in Illinois and a buddy of mine has a card. Theres currently only a few conditions that qualify that are debilitating and life threatening. He also had to have current medical issues outlining the illiness. Not old ones of something you "outgrew" which isnt possible. I have friends with epilepsy, it's not curable and you dont out grow it. Its controllable with medications for about 80% of the patients but it's a life long disease that is usually the cause of death.

3. Heres the qualifying conditions in Illinois but you must have current medical records before making the application of a pre-existing condition. Screenshot_20190615-065551_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190615-065545_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190615-065449_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190615-065551_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20190615-065449_Chrome.jpg

4. #8 FiveJoints, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    You are COMPLETELY incorrect.

First and foremost, there are many types of epilepsy and not just one type, so your friend can't speak for every condition of epilepsy.

I use to have a condition of epilepsy called "Absence Seizures" or "Petit Mal". I have outgrew this condition when I was younger and no longer have this condition. Some children outgrow the seizures in their teens and sometimes are lucky to no longer have Epilepsy.

Here is some information directly from the Mayo Clinic, Harvard University, and WebMD for you to look at:
    Absence seizure - Symptoms and causes
    Absence Seizures (Petit Mal Seizures) - Harvard Health
    The Basics of Absence Seizure

In each of these sources, all of them state most children are likely to grow out of this condition in early teen years. Therefore, yes you can grow out of certain types of epilepsy, which in my case, was absence seizures. Hope this helps you understand better.

Thanks for the response!

5. I understand you're not eligible for a med card. You don't have a qualifying condition without the risk of epileptic seizures. Depression doesnt qualify in the land of Lincoln. My buddy gets his card do to seizures. Your the first person I've ever heard outgrew such a deadly disease. Well until you come down with another deadly or debilitating disease I guess you're screwed on getting a card. Going to have to wait for rec

6. Actually it's pretty common to grow out of the condition I had called "Absence Seizures" which is a mild form of epilepsy which isn't as major as other types of epilepsy. Can you please show me where it states I have to have currently "occurring" symptoms to be eligible?

I spoke with someone who recently just got their medical card in Illinois because he was diagnosed with a condition in the past. He was then eligible to get his medical card, and off he went. So this is why I was curious if having a diagnosed eligible condition in the past will help me get my medical card.

Also, I very much disagree not having depression and anxiety on the list of eligibility as this is a very serious condition as well. People shouldn't have to suffer through depression taking anti-depressant pills from a pharmacy which makes things worse.

My mother is currently suffering chronic depression which she takes anti-depressants but god forbid they don't put this on the eligibility list because "Oh we care about brain diseases such as epilepsy, but we don't care about diagnostics of depression. Let them folks feel sorry for themselves and one day maybe they will all just jump off a bridge."

Seriously, marijuana is the perfect medicine for depression and anxiety. In fact, it's one of the notorious reasons why people chose to smoke marijuana in the first place. Personally, I think that the medical marijuana eligibility list should be revised immediately. Depression and anxiety is one of the most dangerous conditions. I would know because I lost way to many friends because of it.

7. #11 killset, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Whatever dude. They dont treat illiness that you dont have. You no longet have epilepsy, therefore arent sick from it and dont need treatment.

Look at the list bud depression isnt on it. That's not my list, that's the state of Illinois' list of qualifying conditions and depression isnt on it. Illinois is one of the toughest states to get a card in. You actually have to be currently sick with current medical records proving it. Cant be hustling it like you are.

If you are dead set on hustling it all you can do is waste your time, money and try. When your asked about your current qualifying medical condition/records and have none you'll be denied but hey atleast you tried to hustle. They dont treat what you dont have, and you dont have epilepsy