Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana card in Maine, chronic pain and insomnia! Help

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by StraightChill, Jan 28, 2013.

1. I am a Maine resident and have been using marijuana to treat insomnia and chronic pain symptoms for a couple years now and I really want to become a legal user, but I don't have a lot of money to throw around with doctor visits and I don't know if they would give me a recommendation or not :\

If you live in Maine and have experience with getting a card for chronic pain, please chime in! I've been looking into Maine Integrative Healthcare (Dr. Sulsak) Maine Integrative Healthcare

Several years back I injured my back trying front flips and backflips off large jumps and have had on and off back pain for years now. The only problem is that, knowing doctors would probably just prescribe me pain pills and google could help me out much more, this isn't something that was very well documented, I may have talked to my doctor ONCE about it and that was all, he just said give it some time and keep good posture... since then I have been primarily okay but at least a few times a week I'll be in pain that will prevent me from being able to sleep and I'll vape and it'll go away... I only am concerned about this because in the Maine law it states that you need to have "intractable pain that has not responded to normal treatment for more than 6 months" ... so I don't know how closely that's interpreted by Dr. Sulsak, because I have practiced good posture and read up on ways to help my back and I would never try "conventional / normal treatment" like opiates and other pain pills prescribed...

Also I have had an ankle injury to my right ankle from skateboarding (I've hit it too many times and skated on always) to the point where I couldn't walk very well for about 6 months I had bursitis (incredibly swollen) and coincidentally after I started vaping often, I just woke up one day and it was ALL GONE, completely... After reading that cannabinoids are powerful anti-infalatories, that started to make sense.

Anyway, my ankle was something I went to the doctors for, I wasn't prescribed anything, he told me to stay off it for a while and see how it's doing in a month or so... but I actually don't think I reported back to him after (this was many years ago) and since then I will have in my ankle almost everyday depending on how much I do for activity that day...

The BIGGEST reason I want medical marijuana is for insomnia, I've never EVER found something that works for me with insomnia BUT cannabis. I take a couple puffs and I'll pass right out, it's incredible... but I can't get a card for that, so I have to talk about my pain.. I really want a card so I can grow my own and visit dispensaries, I'm extremely interested in high CBD strains, I'm not a recreational user at all now a days, I've been looking for CBD strains to avoid the high, I'm an engineering student.

Thank you so for taking the time to read all this! Do you think I could get a referral?? Even though I haven't been on other drugs for pain, and I haven't returned to the doctors to complain about it because I had found what works for me and what's safe... and now I want to use it medically so I can find high CBD strains and grow my own and NOT get arrested for using this medically???

THANKS

2. I've got my card in Colorado, I love having access to CBD, I get 10mg pills of it and its amazing for my back pain and I sleep soooo good with it, best of luck to you op, everyone deserves access to the best meds :)

3. The problem is, I'm pretty broke and I don't want to waste money if I get rejected... I wanna know if you think I could get one with as little documentation as I have... Or better yet, if anyone has been in a similar situation and successfully got a card??

And yes, CBD IS AMAZING! Especially high CBD strains, I had the chance to try Harlequin.. almost no high at all, just focused positive happy energy with NO worries and anxiety.. never had something work SO WELL for pain and insomnia!! (and anxiety was always something I suffered with high THC strains, I get anxiety easily and high CBD strains are known for have no anxiety causing effects)

But the high CBD strains are what inspired me to ask this, I found Harlequin at a dispensary in Auburn and a couple others are starting to grow high CBD strains as well, and that is exactly what I want and need is access to strains like that... and as of right now I don't :( So that's why I'm wondering if anyone thinks I could get a card, because that is exactly what I need to do!

4. Thoughts? Anyone??

5. sulsak, he's got a practice in the lewiston/auburn area and one in hallowel, right?

if so, avoid him. requires a hefty fee just to be seen, with no guarantee you'll walk away with a recommendation. there's a practice in wiscasset that is more fair, and i've heard the male doctor there is... sympathetic. i'm gonna pay him a visit once my job picks up again.

6. Really? Avoid Sulsak? I wasn't expecting to hear that, he seems sympathetic and and very willing to help at least in videos, he even says he supports cannabis as a holistic approach to good health in general...

I only named him because he's the only doctor I knew of. A friend of mine got a referral from him recently, but his chronic pain condition is very well documented in his medical records unlike mine... it's been 'mentioned' in the past but not been thoroughly posed since I never figured there was a point in spending the money for the doctors visit back then...

And which doctor in Wiscasset?? I tried to google this, but I didn't find much of anything?

7. Who told you that you need to get your medical card for Insomnia? Go to the doctor and get prescription for some medicine for your chronic pain then show that to the marijuana doctor to get your card.

8. Do I need to try more than one medication or wait more than six months to be able to qualify, or can I just get a prescription and wait a couple weeks and go??

9. Whatever you do, stay of the oxycodone, please. That stuff causes nothing but more health problems. Hope you get a recommendation!

10. You won't need to wait too long, a week is enough perhaps well maybe states have different laws , go to the mmj doctor and show him the prescription and tell him you are not comfortable with all the side effects and would like to try mj.

11. Yeah, I think the law in Maine says you have to have records for more than 6 months. And I thought I had to have more than one prescription to be considered a patient that hasn't responded to conventional treatment. But I definitely don't feel comfortable with ANY "conventional" treatment/ medications! So really I just don't understand what exactly that is defined as/ how many things you have to have tried as treatment in the past... ?

12. best to just check out your state laws, i am a chronic insomniac but never wanted mj for it really, once i had a anxiety attack that was so bad that made me go to the doctor because i thought its something serious like a heart attack or something, the doctor checked me out and said i am ok its just anxiety. I told him its really making me feel like shit, am getting no sleep and can't breath so he gave me prescription for an anti anxiety med, which is highly addictive , so i got the idea to just try mj then, this was some weeks after i visited the doc.

13. You should try to get some high CBD strains like Harlequin, Cannatonic, Omrita, sour tsunami, ect. Those don't really get you high buy are godsends for anti anxiety and helping you sleep, I love it, the only problem is it gets nearly 100% impossible to get without a card... Especially in Maine

14. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Ltd. in Scarborough. $250/150 to renew. Very friendly guy. I have been recommending him to all my friends who want a Dr. for over a year without a problem. Fill out his questionnaire and bring your pain records. Dion is trying to get it approved for all reasons soon. I hope it passes! I STILL DONT AGREE WITH LAWS AND TAXES on the safest drug known to man though. FREE THE WEED!

15. Thanks man, that's what I really need to know the most is WHERE and WHO are the right doctors to see, because I really have only heard of Dr. Sulsak and I'm sure there are a lot more and now I think I just need to figure which of all of them would be the best to make an appointment with

16. I dont agree with conventional meds either. They are getting people to poison themselves before trying the ultimate medicine first. Pharmaceuticals are poison. :mad: It's like they are trying to get one last dollar out of you because they know you will not need their products anymore....

17. This^

18. Is true?

19. Id agree. I have a brother who was addicted to oxy... I cant believe they just hand that stuff out. I mean I know its only for gnarly pain but still...

20. Yeah, I would never go near that crap... It's pretty backwards how easy it is to obtain stuff like that, and how hard it can be to obtain MMJ