Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana and Work

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Muscular3, Oct 13, 2016.

1. First off this my first post on any Marijuana forums so sorry if it's not put together very well.

So first off just a background on me, I am currently 21 years old, and live in Illinois. I used to smoke marijuana in high school on and off to get high and I loved the feeling, but stopped once I got in colleg due to drug testing. I'm now done with college and have landed my dream job that I wanted since I went into the program. I passed the drug test no problem since its been so many years since I've smoked but I don't know if my company random drug tests, and due to my security I don't want to name the company. Every since I was young I've rode motocross and street bikes and all kinds of stuff and after crashes and stuff I now develop pretty bad upper back pain right in between my shoulder blades after sitting or staying in one spot to long. I find myself squirming around even just sitting on the toilet for a few minutes trying to stop the pain. Laying down flat on my back tends to help the pain.

Marijuana vs Prescription Pain Killers
    I know there is tons of talk about this everywhere on the Internet but this is just my opinion. I've had many friends become addicted to prescription pain killers and I have always hated pills and drugs of that sort. I found when I used to smoke as a child a strain with a good body high was really good at easing the pain away. Illinois now does offer medical marijuana and I have been thinking about seriously going to a doctor and talking with them about a medical card.

The problem...?
    So now is where I want some recommendations. I have thought about going to the doctor and seeing if it's even something they would offer me a medical card on ( I know Illinois is pretty strict on it). But the problem is work. I've spent so long trying to get this job if smoking risks losing it, I don't know if I can risk it. I have thought about talking to my manager face to face to show him how serious about it and that it's not just something to have fun with. I am only 21 years old and fear he will think I'm just some young kid trying to get stoned every hour of my life when it's not like that. During the day while I'm active and working I am fine with the back pain. Staying active and moving around I don't even notice it. It's when I get home and try to relax or sleep at night. It would be simply be a night thing to help me relax and get a good night sleep for the next day.

Anyone who has been in a similar situation I would love to hear what you have to say. And please no comments like "then don't smoke weed". I spent a lot of time creating this forum for a serious medical reason that I would like help with. Once again, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. First thing is the doc..........

Find one who will go the extra mile .................. meaning writing a report you can show your manager that states this use is strictly for night time use so patient can get proper amount of sleep to continue to excel at his job.

What this does is give you credibility.

It shows you educated yourself about the situation and here is the most important part ............. that this will benefit the company.
    That is the key.

Other part is the doc saying for night time use.
    What that does is take away the thought you might go to lunch and come back hi.
    Cover your bases first then go to bat for your health.

3. Thanks for the quick reply, that is a good idea and very useful information. So you think it would be the best idea to talk to my manager about it rather than going ahead and smoking and hoping not to be tested? I personally think it's the best way. I feel this will establish a lot more trust with him as opposed to him finding out when I'm in trouble and trying to explain myself.

4. Even though Medical Marajuana is legal in Illinois your employer can fire you if they want if you come back positive.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I'd be careful. Most employees do not recognize medical marijuana. That's one of the risks you generally run. I would tell you to just hold off until you know for sure one way or the other...I know my former company didn't random drug test but if you got hurt on the job and test dirty you are shit outta luck.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

6. Employers

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

7. Nah man, if it's a good job that might risk it. It's really not worth the risk.

Sent from my XT1585 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. Fuck no.... Don't tell them. Get covered, get your letter and if you are asked produce it, if not stay quiet. People will judge you for sure.

Plus now you are nothing to them, in a few years you will have more valve so mite likely to look the other way.

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1387325/

• Like Like x 1