Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical Marijuana and Pro Sports

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Jeff Lebowski, May 17, 2007.

1. I believe that Professional Sports can have a huge impact on the overall view of marijuana in the future, and potentially aid in legalization.

Aside from my argument about using interstate commerce to force a D-1A playoff in football, this came to my mind...

Ricky Williams, former Texas running back and Heisman Trophy winner, has AGAIN tested positive for marijuana. In the article, I read that he suffers from social anxiety disorder, and smokes when he is going to encounter social situations consisting of larger groups of people. (I believe this would be benificial to many people).

So if an NFL, NBA, or MLB player living in California obtains a medical marijuana card, can they suspend him for testing positive?

2. even if marijuana was 100% legal in america they could still suspend him/kick him out of the nfl. The NFL has the right to set their own rules, if they want to make a rule that someone can't use pot then they have every right to make that rule.

More and more companies in america are starting to make rules against people smoking cigs. Now at some places if they find out you smoke cigs weither at work or outside of work they can fire you. They make the rule to cut down on helath insurance costs.

3. The only reason that Ricky should be suspended is if the marijuana makes him a better player. Now unless he's smoking a super magical strain with steroid-like effects (which is highly unlikely) he should not be suspended.
    If anything the marijuana will lessen his performance, so if he has a card let him smoke.

4. I really wish that Ricky would have just come out and used this a spot to explain how it has helped him as a medicinal drug. He has a history of anxiety and depression, and he really could have helped the cause if he explained how marijuana helped him. That being said - the NFL is way too corporate to ever allow it, and they do have the right to run the league as they see fit. Ricky has to decide if he wants to still play football or not. If he does - he will have to test clean.

5. its easy enough to pass a drug test. i did it once a month for a year for probabtion...haha !!! you can't stop me !!!