Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Medical marijuana advocate kills herself

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Superjoint, Oct 28, 2007.

1. By MICHAEL MOORE of the Missoulian
    Robin Prosser, a Missoula woman who struggled for a quarter century to live with the pain of an immunosuppressive disorder, tried years ago to kill herself. Last week, she tried again. This time, she succeeded.
    After her earlier attempt failed, Prosser wound up in even more trouble after investigating police found marijuana in her home. She used the marijuana to help cope with pain.
    That marijuana charge was eventually dropped in an agreement with the city of Missoula, and Prosser had reason to rejoice in 2004 when Montanans passed a law allowing medical use of the drug.
    She was a high-profile campaigner for the Montana Medical Marijuana Act, and like others, she was dismayed when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that drug agents could still arrest sick people using marijuana, even in states that legalized its use.
    The ruling came to haunt Prosser in late March, when DEA agents seized less than a half ounce of marijuana sent to her by her registered caregiver in Flathead County.
    At the time, the DEA special agent in charge of the Rocky Mountain Field Division said federal agents were “protecting people from their own state laws” by seizing such shipments.
    “I feel immensely let down,” Prosser would write a few months later, in a guest opinion for the Billings Gazette published July 28. “I have no safety, no protection, no help just to survive in a little less pain. I can't even get a job due to my medical marijuana use - can't pass a drug test.”
    Federal prosecutors declined to charge Prosser, but fear spread through the system of marijuana distribution set up in the wake of the medical marijuana act. Friends said Prosser turned to other sources for marijuana, but found problems nearly everywhere she turned.
    “Most recently, she had found some people who said they could get her what she needed, but it didn't go well,” said her friend Jane Byard.
    Without the relief that marijuana delivered to her, Robin Prosser killed herself at home last week. She was 50.
    Prosser suffered from an autoimmune disease that gave her allergic and dangerous reactions to most pharmaceutical painkillers. So she turned to marijuana. When that was no longer available she had no where else to turn.
    “She just said she couldn't take it all anymore,” Byard said.
    In her guest opinion, Prosser wrote that: “I'm 50 years old, low-income and sick. I spend most days in my apartment in bed, with no air conditioning, unable to go outside because I can't tolerate the sun.”
    Beset by financial problems, troubled by depression, unable to find a reliable source of pain relief, she took her own life three months after the piece was published.
    “Give me liberty or give me death,” she wrote in July. “Maybe the next campaign ought to be for assisted-suicide laws in our state. If they will not allow me to live in peace, and a little less pain, would they help me to die, humanely?”
    Before being disabled by her disease, Prosser was a concert pianist and a systems analyst. After the disease hit her, she became a tireless advocate for legalized use of marijuana in medical situations.
    “She had so many difficulties, but she was a wonderful person,” Byard said. “She was kind and funny and just as smart as a whip. She was a very good friend to me, and it's a very sad story what happened to her.”
    Reporter Michael Moore can be reached at 523-5252 or by
    e-mail at mmoore@missoulian.com

2. I read about this on Digg. It is horrible that the woman had to suffer through so much pain that it caused her to kill herself, just because she couldn't smoke weed. All I can say is please legalize marijuana for medical patients, they need it. :(

3. I see now that the war on drugs is saving lives one by one!

4. :eek:If there was any doubt what-so-ever about the termendous suffering that can be helped by one little plant...this story and many more should be told over and over until patients don't fear asking for marijuana to give them a break from the never ending teeth grinding pain.

Why can't anyone see that if you have cancer.....the munchies are a good thing? If you eat, then you get stronger so that your body can kill the intruder.

Why can't anyone see that if you are in chronic pain...........a vacation to laugh at a funny tv show or enjoy playing a game with the family is a great thing! The family is happy because their loved one is enjoying life...don't we have that right?

Why can't anyone see that man made medicines.......make people sick and lead to other illnesses and problems?

I just don't understand why many people think it is better to put a patient on Morphine and not Marijuana? Someone made a choice along time ago to use the wrong thing, let us all fix that please?

5. im glad i heard this story, all the more reason to support medical marijuana

how can such a peaceful drug be outlawed?

pure insanity

6. I'm so much happier and better to be around. A dog bites when it is in pain, I've fought it for years and I wanted to bite.

But, someone opened my eyes and I tried what had been taboo to me all my life. It works and I don't have leaky butt syndrome.

Stupid man made meds give you more problems. Hate them now. I'm not a health freak like many thing....in fact, not even close, but the Indians knew something. They also didn't call it their peacepipe for nothing.

The peacepipe was that. Maybe if we all passed the peacepipe, many would understand then.

Holland hurts no one...just a pretty little country all to themselves, happy and high with hookers even. No crime....mmmmmm...well................

7. Sad and so f*cking unnecessary. For most of this country's existence, no one had the political hubris to outlaw such essential freedoms as what one may ingest into her/his own body.

"We protect you from yourself, even if it kills you."

Condolences to Ms. Prosser's Family and Friends .. This society has more respect for the dignity of pets than it does for the dignity of people.

SAD........................................

8. Each and every member of the DEA should go to hell. May sound extreme, but anyone living in such ignorance doesn't deserve anything.

9. Fucking DEA, makes you wonder if they sleep better after destroying people's lives.
    I hope some day people will open their ignorant eyes, and this type of thing won't have to happen anymore.

This person was in Montana, the middle of nowhere (no offense to those in Montana) And they take a half-ounce? I mean, wow

Edit: less than a half-ounce :(

10. And to think, the ban on Marijuana was based on racism instead of concern for the general public. This is the legacy we have to endure. Law enforcement officials have destroyed more lives and livelyhoods than marijuana ever could. The disparity between the purpose and the results of the "war on drugs" is unconscionable and unsupportable.

I wonder if any of these Neanderthals know that people who are featured in that precious Bible they love to beat others with, knew about and used Cannibus as a medicine. There is archaeological and forensic anthropological evidence!

What has happened to common sense? The insanity is only getting worse.

11. it is sad to see what they are doing for a mostly harmless plant... they just need to admit they where wrong and start selling and taxing marijuana. it is usa's no.1 cash crop they are spending multi millions on prisons, dea, raids etc. when they could be making that as profit and saving mm patients lifes and familys instead

12. Yea I agree. Everyone in the DEA deserves to die. How dare they interfere in state law. The state of Montana wants medical cannabis, and the DEA doesn't give a fuck and will trample on the rights that the people of Montana have to medical cannabis through popular vote. Seriously, what the DEA is doing is destroying the principle upon which this country was founded upon; the principle that states the people have a right to choose. It's on the fucking Declaration of Independence for god's sake.

DEA AGENTS. I KNOW YOU ARE READING THIS. YOU ARE TRYING TO SAVE LIVES BY FIGHTING THIS WAR? WELL YOU JUST ENDED AN INNOCENT LIFE BECAUSE YOU DECIDED TO USE YOUR FEDERAL POWER WHICH YOU ARE SO ABUSING TO INTERFERE IN THE DECISION THAT A STATE HAS MADE. I HOPE YOU DIE, YOUR DEATH COMES SLOW, AND I'LL STAND BY YOUR GRAVE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE DEAD.

Sorry grasscity, I'm just so angry right now...