Medical card and random piss test

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by weedismytherapy, May 7, 2021.

1. Ok so I’m just waiting on my approval and my card question now is will I be able to take this to my employer I’m in va and they do ransoms once a month I’m quality control for a company that builds railroad equipment I did see something in the handbook that mentioned medical marijuana but it was kind of confusing but to me it seems like if we have a certificate and card and just let them know I should be good let me know what y’all think here it is

Notice of Prescription Medication to include Medical Marijuana: Any employee that purchases, possession or use of a controlled substance which is obtained by prescription from a licensed medical practitioner to include medical marijuana that would hinder the employee from safely performing his/her essential functions or have the ability to put another individual at risk, must immediately notify Company’s Human Resources Department. An employee utilizing prescription medication that may cause, but not limited to: dizziness, blurred vision, or specifically indicates to use with care when operating a vehicle or dangerous machinery while performing Company business may be required to be medically cleared “fit for duty” to safely perform the essential functions of his/her job by Company’s medical physician and/or employee’s Personal Health Care physician (PCP). Disciplinary action or immediate termination may apply for any employee who knowingly uses a substance that would hinder his/her ability to safely perform his/her essential functions and does not notify the Human Resources Department and/or obtain medical clearance in accordance with company policy.

2. The way I read that, you have to notify HR if you buy, possess or use mmj. The policy still leaves open the possibility that they reserve the right to terminate or discipline you for it, from the vague wording. Just because it is legal, doesn't mean that employers can't continue to prohibit its use. It is still a federally prohibited product and if you work where there is a federal requirement for testing, you could be at risk. I'd contact HR after getting your card, but before going to the dispensary.

3. They are saying they can take you off the job for using any prescription, its up the the company's physician and i would bet you everything ive got that the company's physician who is paid for by the company's insurance will take you off the job for using marijuana, even if you have a card.

4. Railroads are Federally controlled and your state laws won't apply I'm thinking. Suppliers my be dealt differently.
    I'd research very closely before I used Cannabis.
    Do let us know what you find out as all to often we never hear the "Rest of the Story".

BNW

5. Thanks everyone I’m definetly going to look into I really don’t think it would be an issue as I am not on the shop floor building machines anymore I just inspect them and won’t be coming to work under the influence

6. Its pretty clearly written. Living in a legal state ive learned employers can and will hold it against you-- card in hand or not

7. I mean the way I’m reading it is hey if u are legally obtaining medical marijuana and have the documents to just let us know but again I’m not a safety sensitive employee anymore I sit at a desk and look over the machines when they are completed

8. A way i think of it is . If something happens and they test me , id be positive for thc. Now its on me to prove i wasnt using at work or still under its effects while at work. Tough to prove my innocence when its just the word of a stoner trying to keep his job over a positive test. lol.

(Edit I'm self employed so my boss can go fuck himself, he's a demanding asshole)

9. According to D.O.T I don’t fall under a safety sensitive employee and being that my company even has what I posted in the handbook as long as my job doesn’t concern the safety of me or others I’m hopeful that I will be good but before I go all out smoking I’m going to wait for my card to come and go talk to hr and see what they say I will def keep everyone updated

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah its all grey areas. Employers should have no right to your medical information. I could see an employer being allowed to require you to pass a sobriety test but other than that, they shouldnt get any of your info. Crazy thing is they would much rather get a dr note that says you need 90mg of oxy a day than a MMJ script. They would rather you be on pharmaceutical heroin while your at work than smoke some weed on your own time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Quick Fix and forget it