Media giants AT&T/Cablevision/Comcast/Time Warner/Verizon unite to censor internet

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Messiah Decoy, Feb 23, 2013.

1. If corporate power is controlled by consumers then it should be easy to stop these media giants, right Libertarians?

At least we could stop SOPA be lighting up the phones of congress. There no stopping these corporations. This is why corporate power is more frightning than a democratic government. People want to privatize the military, the police, etc? How do you stop them, when they stop playing around and shut down our freedoms?

Here's the fucking article.

Daily Dot | New anti-piracy system will hit U.S. Internet users next week

2. So if an elected government shouldn't have the power to stop corporate control and abuse, who will?

Let me guess, consumers who boycott. Right?

You expect the ignorant masses to strictly boycott AT&T/Cablevision/Comcast/Time Warner/Verizon enough to bend the will of these media giants?

ALL 5 OF THEM? lol! Good luck with that.

3. No pal, listen up....the lesson here is that corporations or people can protect their property and in this case data without the government getting involved. This is a positive example of a Libertarian ideal.

I won't lie; I share and d/l data all the time. I don't have a problem with them trying to stop me from doing so as it is technically immoral, but then again I'm sure I'll find a way around it.

4. Well. The elected government hasn't been doing a good job stopping corporate control and abuse if you ask me. I think it might actually encourage it.

Shit, these corporations do not have any governing power whatsoever. Without a government, would they even be able to censor the internet?

5. just switch companies if one of those nazi companies currently give you internet.

6. The Corporations ARE the government..

The large industries and banking systems make the decisions, the politicians are there to wear suits and make it look official.

7. Good luck voting. Hope it works out for ya.

8. You know I don't complain about 99% of our culture and resources exploited and determined by greed and consumerism but the best thing about the internet is the free flow of information and media which is extremely empowering for every American citizen.

Much of the information, data, articles, photos, books, videos, news cast, etc that are professionally done and freely used/exchanged on the internet daily are owned by some huge media corporate entity in some way.

Right now if someone CNN mistakenly broadcast the president admitting he wants to invade Iran, millions of people can watch it anytime on youtube no problem. But Time Warner wants to be able to stop something like that claiming that it's not about censorship, it's about piracy. lmao! They have more money than God. They are more concerned with tighter control of the free flow and exchange of media and information on the internet.

You may think you're doing the world a huge service by fighting for the rights of multi-national corporate media giants to maximize profits, but you are helping only a few people at the top who care about control and power over the public than any birdseed they lose from piracy.

Slowing the free flow of information used by the masses helps no one except the most powerful who want the public to remain as deaf, dumb and blind as possible.

But keep fighting for the benefit of AT&T/Cablevision/Comcast/Time Warner/Verizon over the American people. I'm sure the founding fathers would love how you defend a powerful entity's right to tightly control the media at the expense of We The People.

TL;DR - I mean greed and plutocratic power is a much more noble cause to fight for than the free and rapid exchange of information and media for all Americans citizens. /sarcasm

9. Without representative government what would stand in of corporate censorship?

We stopped SOPA via the government.

Good luck stopping AT&T/Cablevision/Comcast/Time Warner/Verizon from their censorship goals.

10. Again SOPA was stopped because Americans called congress like crazy.

Even the congressmen who introduced SOPA reversed their support.

11. Yes that's the game but at least when corporations play this charade the public can win a few battles.

Without the charade the public doesn't have a prayer.

12. do you think we have representative government? i don't.

like I asked, given that said companies do not have governing powers, how would they censor the internet?

and how was SOPA stopped 'via the government'? What does that even mean? A person/people in government introduced the bill. People take their internet very seriously. It is just an example of what the internet can do. If we can kill this bill, surely corporations with no governing power would not be able to censor the internet in a free society.

13. We should just give the gov full control of media

that would help

14. Copping out so soon? It wasn't even fun. It barely begun.

15. Unfortunately there is only one local ISP in my area. Even so, if these companies start to significantly affect my internet abilities, I will switch. This new company will realize it's new niche and role with it. Now that it's service is valued premium to the ISPs who are censoring, others will follow suit and the service will become cheaper, and my local ISP or others like it will be the new media giants. (That is, as long as the government doesn't stop them.)

16. #19 Messiah Decoy, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
    The internet and all the ideas/information/media freely exchanged on it belong to the media giants. The masses were just trying on daddies clothes until he came home from work or should I say big brother's?

Prometheus called. He said the gods want their fire back.

17. But people are waiting for the media to give any boycott credence through publicity, the same media their trying to weaken with a boycott.