Mech's "Pimp My Room" DIY build-out thread. How am I doing?

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Mechanibus, Nov 22, 2020.

1. I was a little behind on the video processing, so I have another one ready:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Also, I have some pics that go along with what I've been doing in the vids.

First, a few of the valves I now regret including.
    https://i.imgur.com/kgl4eyP.jpg

Let's see how that pic posts, I have to re-learn the pic stuff here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OK there we go.

So I am installing 3/8 poly supply lines to bring hot and cold water in to a faucet in the room. They are mounted to a bracket attached to the water tank shelf. Little blurry, but you get where I'm going.
    [​IMG]

I made an aluminum bracket to hold the supply valves. I used a cheap Harbor Freight step drill, and it wandered a bit on me. The pilot for the large hole was in line with the pilot above, but you can see that during drilling the hole moved to the left.
    [​IMG]

The HF drills aren't so good, but this HF band saw is great and I use it all the time. It actually has a Marathon motor, since the original HF crap one burned up long ago. I got the saw and the motor for free, and joined them in to this workhorse.
    [​IMG]

Needed to trim the bracket down. The mill might be overkill, but hey, use what you got.
    [​IMG]

This is the bracket and valves prior to installation. 3/8 poly brings water in the left, and 1/2 push fit will connect to hard riser pipes on the right.
    [​IMG]

These extra-long supply pipes come in 1/2" instead of the more common 3/8", which sucks, since the bender I ordered only goes up to 3/8. Luckily I accidentally bought 1/2" push-fits when I meant to get 3/8", so my mistake actaully meant I had the right size. . . Sort of. . .
    [​IMG]

These are the lag shields that I used with 1/4" eye lags to make the left hand mounting points for the tank straps.
    [​IMG]

On the right side, I used the D-ring mounts that I sewed into the straps earlier.
    [​IMG]

4. Speaking of those straps, the white ones are meant for event tents, and as such they have a D-ring on one end (and cost twice as much.) I cut away the old ring and shortened the straps so the ratchet will fall in the right place. Sewing machine did not like 3 layers of ballistic nylon webbing. . .
    [​IMG]

I also snapped a pic when I made the branch circuit for the extra outlet I put in.
    [​IMG]

I did so because if you don't know about WAGO connectors, "lever nuts" you should get some. you just stick the stripped wire in and close the lever. Easy. And easily removable.
    [​IMG]

They are a delight to work with and reall make tight connections a literal "snap." Twisting 3 big wire nuts onto 3 bundles of 3 12 ga. wires in that box would have sucked.
    [​IMG]

One more little shop item- The bracket that holds the tank has little gussets welded in, but it doesn't need them. I want the dehumidifier to tuck under there, so I cut and ground out the gussets.
    [​IMG]

Fortunately the welder wasn't too thorough, so it wasn'ta big deal to knock them out.
    [​IMG]

5. Finally for tonight, I wanted to make the CO2 regulator setup I had "Remote" from the bottle. Usually the regulator and solenoid screw right onto the bottle, but in my case I want the metering equipment in the control cabinet. I wanted to change this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

The basic idea is to put these two compression fittings in between the bottle connection and the regulator.
    [​IMG]

First thing was to remove the CGA-320 connector, and replace it with a right angle fitting and a 1/4 compression fitting. I also removed the solenoid core and flipped the needle valve upside down on the left.
    [​IMG]

Once I tightened up those connections, that part was mostly done. Now I have a more compact arrangement that can be fed with 1/4" copper line.
    [​IMG]

6. Now we have to deal with this- The CGA-320 connector must be adapted to 1/4" compression. This could be done with off the shelf adapters, but would be long and ungainly.
    [​IMG]

We will take a more advanced approach. Since the adapter stub has a flange on one end, I can't securely grip it in the lathe chuck. So I made a collet to grip the adapter.
    [​IMG]

After boring it to a size matching the stub, I cut some slots with a hacksaw so the chuck pressure could collapse it sround the stub.
    [​IMG]

You can see how it operates here, but it is meant to hold the part when I have it in the chuck the other way, so the jaws will clear the flange.
    [​IMG]

First, the stub was parted to remove excess length.
    [​IMG]

Then, I grabbed that flanged end in the collet and bored the cut off end to receive a pipe tap. You can see that my bore on the collet was too big in the way one slot is closed more than the rest. Sloppy!
    [​IMG]

Once bored, I used the tailstock to start the 1/4" NPT tap and get it going straight. Then it was turned the rest of the way in with a tap wrench. Finally, the compression fitting was installed.
    [​IMG]

The solenoid coil power connector has a strain relief that sticks out, and won't let me orient the connector like I want on the solenoid coil.
    [​IMG]

I took the power connector apart.
    [​IMG]

We don't really need the strain relief or water protection, so I sawed that off.
    [​IMG]

Now the coil and connector can sit nicely behind.
    [​IMG]

There is enough space for a flat cord to be installed.
    [​IMG]

So there we have it.
    [​IMG]

The assembly has been made more compact, and the two compression connectors can now be joined by any length of 1/4" copper tube.
    [​IMG]

The point of this is that the control valve can fit in the controls cabinet, but the bottle can't. I have a 30lb. bottle for this, and I plan to mount it above the doorway and run the line into the cabinet.

7. Wow, I really can't believe how dead GC is now. . . Bummer.

Anyway, I'm continuing to post my updates for Rumpleforeskin and anyone else who might appreciate them. Please let me know if you are watching these updates and want to see more. I have a bunch more footage that I will be uploading very soon!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Another update upload. Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ok, not sure what that's about, all my other vids have posted fine. . . I think it might have been because it had "nutes" in the title originally. Jump to YT if you want, or skip to the next update. Unless all my vids are going to be 18+ now. . .

Next installment:

Looks like I'm good on the YT age restriction. Weird. Maybe I cursed too much in the last vid. . .

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mech you old fart damn good to see you back on here! I just came back last week after many years away myself. I don't see any of the old gang being active, and I have been reading through your discussions here and am sad to hear about GC currently, but I'm still hoping to enjoy some grower interaction on here just the same.

Looks like you are still going strong with your innovations and media - keep it going man. You know I have always been a fan of your ideas and trials and sharing.

I'm still growing myself. I had to make some adjustments so I could go on the road for weeks at a time so I built a new grow from the ground up and met my goals I'm happy to report. Come check it out if you are ever bored!

AskEd's New Grow - 3rd Gen Coconut Groove

• Like Like x 1
  11. Another old schooler pulling up a chair. :)

12. Keep it up, you are a real jack of all trades!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum